"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

27 minutes ago, martinb33 said:

Does the general disapproval of DJ Ashba have more to do with extra-musical issues than musical ones? I mean, I know he's no Buckethead (an overachiever), but I enjoyed the concerts I saw live with him on board.

Mostly extra-musical but he also had a guitar that was out of tune for the intro to SCOM and he never replicated Robin's solo on TIL perfectly. So fuck him. 

• Haha 2

I am copying in this from another thread somewhere else, since some of you might find it interesting:

That last paragraph (in a Tommy interview from November 2011) stating there are 22 unreleased songs, is interesting. In another interview, Tommy would say they had recorded "three records worth of material", so he is consistent in what he says. In the latter interview he also said some of this material wasn't entirely finished, with songs lacking vocals and being properly mixed. 

Twenty-two songs. That's a lot. Here are the number of songs we know were recorded by 2001 (from the Village leaks) but didn't end up on Chinese Democracy:

1. Inside out (no vocals)
2. Tommy demo #1 (Tommy vocals)
3. Going Down ("Tommy demo #2) (Tommy vocals)
4. Quick Song (Axl scratch vocals)
5. Atlas Shrugged (Axl vocals)
6. Zodiac 13 (no vocals)
7. Prom Violence (no vocals)
8. Perhaps (Axl vocals)
9. Absurd ("Silkworms) (Axl vocals) 
10. P.R.L. (no vocals)
11. Eye on You (Axl vocals)
12. Mustache (no vocals)
13. Tonto (no vocals)
14. Real Doll.com (no vocals)
15. Billionaire (no vocals)
16. Dub Suplex (no vocals)
17. State of Grace (Axl vocals)
18. Oklahoma (no vocals)
19. Devious Bastard (no vocals)
20. Hard Skool ("Hardschool") (Axl vocals)
21. Dummy (no vocals)
22. Me & My Elvis (no vocals)
23. Circus Maximus (no vocals)
24. D Tune (no vocals)
25. Curly Shuffle (no vocals)
26. Nothing (Axl vocals)
27. As It Began (no vocals)
28. Thyme (no vocals)
29. The Rebel (no vocals)

And these songs were recorded in 2001 and ended up on Chinese Democracy:

1. Better (as Three-dollar Pyramid) (no vocals)
2. Chinese Democracy (Axl vocals)
3. Prostitute (Axl vocals)
4. Street of Dreams ("The Blues") (Axl vocals)
5. Rhiad & The Bediuns (Axl vocals)
6. There Was A Time (Axl vocals)
7. Madagascar (Axl vocals)
8. Catcher in the Rye (Axl vocals)
9. If the World (Axl vocals)
10. Shackler's Revenge ("Shankler's Revenge") (no vocals)
11. Sorry ("I'm Sorry") (no vocals)
12. I.R.S. (Axl vocals)

So by 2001, they had 29 songs-in-development that didn't end up CD. If Tommy actually said they had 22 songs (and this isn't a misquote), it suggests to me that more work was done since 2001 that resulted in a shorter list. An A-list of songs intended to come out, if you like. From Tommy's quote, it also seems the songs on this A-list was more finished than the songs from the Village leaks, with Tommy suggesting some of them lacked vocals and mixing whereas in the Village leaks most songs missed vocals. Tommy would also go on to suggest (in the same 2011 interview) that he was inclined to think Axl had worked more on these songs, again indicating that the 22 songs unreleased in 2011 were more complete than the songs from the Village leaks.

This fits with the fact that we know they worked on additional songs later (in 2006 and 2007, at least). Scraped was at some point included, as was This I Love. They worked on Shackler's and Sorry, and Axl added vocals to these songs as well as Better.

It is reasonable to assume that some of the 28 unreleased songs from 2001, are among the 22 songs (or two additional albums), that Tommy (and others spoke about), but possibly with new names. The General, Seven, etc, could be new names for some of these old songs, or newer songs they wrote after 2001 similar to Scraped.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mystery said:

Watching this SNL compilation show and just saw the cast members play Axl and Slash performing what I think is a Christmas song set to November Rain. The guy playing Axl doesn't sing like him at all which is to be expected. It's probably on YouTube somewhere.

There's another one somewhere in SNL history when Skid Row was the musical guest. The skit is about metal songs for babies (or something like that). In any case, they have the same people play Axl & Slash. Then Bach gets involved in the skit since Skids were the musical guest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

There's another one somewhere in SNL history when Skid Row was the musical guest. The skit is about metal songs for babies (or something like that). In any case, they have the same people play Axl & Slash. Then Bach gets involved in the skit since Skids were the musical guest. 

This one.

Adam Sandler is Axl I think. It's probably the better skit of GNR I've seen though still a bit crap by current standards. Weirdly for a high profile group/individuals they've not inspired that many parodies etc..Perhaps they're hard to mimic? Slash has featured in the most I reckon if you include stuff like South Park.

• Like 1

The first “parody” i saw of GNR was the animated one where Axl is working at a fast food place with I think buckethead and just saying “can I take your order ?” In an Axl vocal impression. The name was a take on McDonalds and was possibly the same name as the one in coming to America. Have I just made that up in my mind or does anyone else remember this ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

The first “parody” i saw of GNR was the animated one where Axl is working at a fast food place with I think buckethead and just saying “can I take your order ?” In an Axl vocal impression. The name was a take on McDonalds and was possibly the same name as the one in coming to America. Have I just made that up in my mind or does anyone else remember this ?

It was from an animated show on VH1 around 2003/2004. Whoever voices Axl in it sounds a lot like Tommy Blancha who voiced Dr. Rockszo on Metalocalypse but I don't believe it's him. You even get Dizzy and Buckethead cameos.

This is the Axl and Slash one I saw on SNL. It's actually an old one from 2013. They appear at 1:10.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

That high ("freedom or the chains") was great, but that moment when he slapped hands with the fan didn't reflect well in his voice... 

right. btw, I think it's "free the ball, the chain we held together". Was still fun watching Axl getting a kick out of that with the fan.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 2:48 PM, IrishgunnerII said:

Do you think Axl was being overly critical of the ritz 1988 performance on the Eddie trunk interview ? It doesn’t sound polished but imo it shouldn’t have been perfect because that wasn’t the way the band played.

The crowd was going crazy with Axl and Slash and that made it great.

Video already out!

Overall I thought the performance was good and a nice change from the 2013 version. It just wasn’t the Stones, Fleetwood Mac or Foreigner caliber band I had hoped it would be. I think after that I lost interest a bit and wanted the show to end.

On 12/25/2021 at 8:08 AM, We love Axl Rose said:

Today is Josh Freese's 49th birthday !

Is he still just a temporary drummer for The Offspring or has he become a permanent member of the band ? 

Crazy how young he was in Guns N Roses where he's still not 50 yet.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am sure some of you will also enjoy this quote from DJ  from November 2011 where he answers the question if GN'R is still the most dangerous band in the world, and suggests that the unpredictable setlists make the band both reckless and dangerous:

uten_123.png

Yes, the lies told by the band members over the years our hilarious.

Which is why it's all the more baffling when you quote their old interview comments as some sort of 'proof' that there is a new album recorded.

18 hours ago, mystery said:

Crazy how young he was in Guns N Roses where he's still not 50 yet.

And how wise and confident in his own ability he was, when he chose to leave the band because he felt it was going to be a complete waste of time.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Pele said:

Yes, the lies told by the band members over the years our hilarious.

Uhm, I don't think there were any lies in that quote? I posted it because I found it hilarious how DJ would equate the band's "unpredictable" setlists with the band being "reckless" and "dangerous". 

58 minutes ago, Pele said:

Which is why it's all the more baffling when you quote their old interview comments as some sort of 'proof' that there is a new album recorded.

Ah! You just wanted to attack me for using quotes :lol: That's hilarious.

Well, I have never used band member quotes as proof for there being an album. I believe there is an album based on different things, including quotes from band members and people around the band. But we have been through this quite a few times now and if you still haven't understood why I believe we will get another album by now, then no amount of repetitions from me will likely produce a different outcome. It's beyond you. 

• Like 1