"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

On 12/25/2021 at 5:08 AM, We love Axl Rose said:

Today is Josh Freese's 49th birthday !

Is he still just a temporary drummer for The Offspring or has he become a permanent member of the band ? 

Josh's drumming on the Village Session recordings were sublime, I love Brain too but man Josh really knew how to drive those songs in a unique way as well.  I really wish there was an alternate late-90s universe where we got to hear a Josh, Robin, Axl combo in full

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Josh's drumming on the Village Session recordings were sublime, I love Brain too but man Josh really knew how to drive those songs in a unique way as well.  I really wish there was an alternate late-90s universe where we got to hear a Josh, Robin, Axl combo in full

Josh is phenomenal - saw him drumming for Sting back in 2019 and he was right on the money as always. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CubanSkies Dummy said:

That Finck/Buckethead/Tobias/Stintson/Howerdel/Pitman/Reed/Mantia or Freese lineup was the greatest.

So many good gigs, albums, TV performances and general good memories. Those were the days when GNR ruled the world. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/5/2022 at 1:03 PM, 19AT5 said:

So many good gigs, albums, TV performances and general good memories. Those were the days when GNR ruled the world. 

Howerdel and Freese never played live though and there was only 1 album (which has a mix of musicians) and 1 TV performance from the 2000-2002 band.

Just now, mystery said:

Howerdel and Freese never played live though and there was only 1 album (which has a mix of musicians) and 1 TV performance from the 2000-2002 band.

Sorry I was being sarcastic! 🙂 Should've included emojis. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mystery said:

Would've loved to have seen the 2006 band on something like VH1 Storytellers or AOL Sessions which were popular at the time. 

Telling what story exactly?! They hadn't released anything and were generally ridiculed in the press.

3 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Telling what story exactly?! They hadn't released anything and were generally ridiculed in the press.

Could've been about the stuff they've already released. Stories about Appetite or the UYI songs being put together but I realize that would be a no-go since Axl was still on bad terms with Slash and probably wouldn't want to bring him up. 

19 minutes ago, mystery said:

Could've been about the stuff they've already released. Stories about Appetite or the UYI songs being put together but I realize that would be a no-go since Axl was still on bad terms with Slash and probably wouldn't want to bring him up. 

But that was literally a different band? Who would want to watch an interview with CD members talking about albums they had nothing to do with?! I'd be interested in a documentary with all the CD members talking about the making and recording of CD though. But that ain't gonna happen.

27 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

But that was literally a different band? Who would want to watch an interview with CD members talking about albums they had nothing to do with?! I'd be interested in a documentary with all the CD members talking about the making and recording of CD though. But that ain't gonna happen.

The album really should have come out in 2006 and it would've been an interesting album to promote on a show like Story Tellers. That Spring-Summer period in 2006 had releases by Pearl Jam and RHCP so they would have fit right in.

47 minutes ago, mystery said:

The album really should have come out in 2006 and it would've been an interesting album to promote on a show like Story Tellers. That Spring-Summer period in 2006 had releases by Pearl Jam and RHCP so they would have fit right in.

Yes but by 2006 it was the longest standing joke in the music industry. I get what you're saying but the nu-Guns-era really didn't stand a chance in the general press after the 2002 MTV VMAs and the success of Velvet Revolver. Which is ironic because they played a bloody helluva show at Rock Am Ring (I think). But still no album so... reap what ya sow I guess.

• Thanks 1

I think there's still a chance they could've made that band and record work in that era but it didn't happen. They toured from 2006-7, Axl looked and sounded great, and the shows were well received when they were on time. They also debuted previously unheard songs from the album, had Better featured in a Harley Davidson commercial, and I think even shot a video for the song. It's mind boggling the album didn't come out in 2006.

• Like 2

While listening to my Locker Leaks compilation CD this morning in my car it occurred to me that the next single could easily be Eye On You (possibly retitled to 'Mac Daddy'), a deliberately abrasive throwaway, followed by another 'Big Gun' i.e. The General / Atlas Shrugged / Perhaps.

That would follow precisely what they did with Absurd / Hard Skool.

Edited by jackparker123
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, jackparker123 said:

While listening to my Locker Leaks compilation CD this morning in my car it occurred to me that the next single could easily be Eye On You (possibly retitled to 'Mac Daddy'), followed by another 'Big Gun' i.e. The General / Atlas Shrugged / Perhaps.

That would follow precisely what they did with Absurd / Hard Skool.

I'm sorry to disagree so harshly here but I really, really, really, really, really hope not. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

12 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

There is nothing abrasive about Eye On You. It's delishishly slunky.

I actually do quite enjoy the track and I would be interested to see what Slash and Duff would add to it, but it would definitely leave many fans scratching their heads, much like the response with Absurd.

Edited by jackparker123