"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

On 1/25/2022 at 7:02 PM, 2020_Intensions said:

In the car today at work in between jobs I listened to the old Chinese Democracy & Riad leaks and man those tracks rock so hard if they would have been released in '99/'00 along with Oh My God as the showcase for the new band and what kind of sound was to come it would have been amazing comeback followed by a full album release and tour ... How differently things could have went

Chinese Democracy has some great songs on it, just the way everything is pasted together comes across very poor.  The demos and leaks were so much better.  If they released this in 2000/2001 i think that it would have been ultimately received much better.  And sounded fresher.  By the time 2008 came along that sound was so dated. 

Funny enough that late 90s early 2000s sound is making a comeback so some of these rerecorded songs with Slash and Duff might sound fresh lol

1 hour ago, Shacklers Absolution said:

The reunion version of Hard Skool is just awful. The vocals don't fit with the new guitar at all. The old version is so much better, why did they completely destroy the song?

I don't think the issue is because of the way it was Frankensteined together which many people point to. I rather don't understand why they removed so many cool parts, like that Oasis sounding part in the bridge for example which was great, and replaced the drums with WAY worse drums which completely suck the energy out which the original had.

18 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't think the issue is because of the way it was Frankensteined together which many people point to. I rather don't understand why they removed so many cool parts, like that Oasis sounding part in the bridge for example which was great, and replaced the drums with WAY worse drums which completely suck the energy out which the original had.

I prefer the demo version as well now. The vocals really do feel quite disjointed from the music in the Slash version, especially the verses. Drums are no contest, demo version. 

It's what you get when you do it like that. Sad. 

2 minutes ago, Dean said:

I threw on Atlas again for the first time in a little while. Still love it as much as I did upon my very first listen. It'd probably make my top 5 Guns tunes. Ginger Ballix at his best.

I enjoy Atlas, but feel the song gets worse as it plays. I do like the solo. I feel it starts out super strong, then falls a but on its face.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I enjoy Atlas, but feel the song gets worse as it plays. I do like the solo. I feel it starts out super strong, then falls a but on its face.

The structure seems to be what most have issue with - I can't imagine whatever they eventually release will differ too much from the Village versions as it'll need to follow the key that the vocal is in, but I suppose time will tell as I'd like to imagine there will be a few surprises along the way. 

12 minutes ago, Dean said:

The structure seems to be what most have issue with - I can't imagine whatever they eventually release will differ too much from the Village versions as it'll need to follow the key that the vocal is in, but I suppose time will tell as I'd like to imagine there will be a few surprises along the way. 

I just hope they keep Brain's drums on that song, and don't have the guitars too high in the mix like in Absurd.

• ABSUЯD 1

I've been reading a lot about Axl during the 1994-2000 period and thought it was interesting that from all the silence there's a few concerts he's reported as attending that I wanted to list:

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Great Western Forum Inglewood April 4, 1996 Los Angeles CA-The pics of Axl with short hair, bandana, and beard come from this date.

Radiohead: Wiltern Theatre July 26, 1997 Los Angeles CA-Axl was apparently patted down by the doorman and looked unrecognizable similar to the RHCP concert.

Tool: Hollywood Palladium March 26, 1998 Los Angeles CA-Axl was spotted in the balcony.

Roger Waters: Universal Ampitheatre June 22, 2000 Universal City, CA-Axl later that night visited the Cat Club where he performed with Gilby Clarke and his band the Starfuckers for the first time in public since July 17, 1993. There's a recent pic that surfaced in the Use Your Illusion section of Axl at the Cat Club in the Wilderness Years thread. 

System of a Down Souls Benefit Concert November 4, 2000 Palace Theatre Los Angeles, CA-Benefit show for Armenian Genocide recognition. Interestingly 11 years later in 2011 Axl would blame System of a Down along with the rain as reasons the band came on so late at Rock in Rio 2011.

Edited by mystery
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here before but as someone who watches AEW, I noticed that Chris Jericho and his group the Dark Order were wearing shirts last year  that are basically a riff on the Appetite cross.

Best pic I could find of it. Jericho has interviewed Slash and might've interviewed Duff on his podcast and he was also there when Axl did an impromptu interview/hangout during Eddie Trunk's show in 2006.

chris-jericho-5-30-21.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mystery said:

Reminds me of the story Slash told in his book where Axl was riding in the car with Slash and his grandmother and legit jumped out the car while it was in motion.

Wasn't it because slash asked Axl to keep his grandmas house clean or something? It was something really weird Axl freaked out about

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Wasn't it because slash asked Axl to keep his grandmas house clean or something? It was something really weird Axl freaked out about

Has to be the funniest Axl story besides shooting the ceiling of his mansion with a shotgun trying to kill a moth.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 7:18 PM, janrichmond said:

iirc Axl had told Slash's grandma to fuck off when she asked him to get up (he was sleeping on the sofa) and when Slash brought the subject up in the car, Axl leapt out :lol:

That's the story, according to Slash :D

On 3/5/2022 at 1:18 PM, janrichmond said:

iirc Axl had told Slash's grandma to fuck off when she asked him to get up (he was sleeping on the sofa) and when Slash brought the subject up in the car, Axl leapt out :lol:

I just like that Axl didn't say a word and literally noped out.

• Haha 1