John Mellencamp Speech at Farm Aid 2018

soon

One weakness for the Dems seems to be that they don't embrace their leftist constituents. The Dems don't even embrace their progressives by and large for any top spots. The GOP has always celebrated its more right wing constituents and today is driven by an increasingly right wing agenda and appeal. Of course with Communism having been outlawed in the US the left there is even more divided then elsewhere because of secrecy and lack of exposure to a wider range of thought. The Bernie Bros didn't have access to a meatier discussion with the left that would have better informed them. They're basically a hold over from Occupy - a movement that decided not to join the existing left, but completely ignore it leaving wisdom, people and infrastructure for dead. Big mistake to start from scratch but a sad outcome of forcing leftism into the shadows for so long.

In the last presidential election The Dems shut out Sanders due to his progressive platform. Whereas the GOP was happy to follow the shift right and embrace all voters and political actors from the right. And to the Left of Sanders are many, many voters and potential actors as well. The Dems didnt seem to want them or figured they had them whipped.

There are some celebrated newcomers to the Dems who are gaining momentum on a progressive platform. But I think "Chickenshits" is still, today, a perfect way to describe the Dems fear of embracing all of its constituents. Its just math you cant have a huge majority of conservatives and right wingers, plus some moderates Vs. a tiny sliver of moderates and liberals.

Maybe it’s my English but what exactly was the speech about? Music industry and corporate radio or politics or political parties? Seems to me he makes a lot of indications but no real content. So everyone is free to fill in the gaps with whatever they’re thinking. Also, who was the liberal friend he couldn’t bring to farm aid? Why not name him? 

My BS detector is humming here ... :lol:

2 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Maybe it’s my English but what exactly was the speech about? Music industry and corporate radio or politics or political parties? Seems to me he makes a lot of indications but no real content. So everyone is free to fill in the gaps with whatever they’re thinking. Also, who was the liberal friend he couldn’t bring to farm aid? Why not name him? 

My BS detector is humming here ... :lol:

His speech was not delivered very well. He seems really nervous or possibly he had a drink. But the way that he speaks is still familiar to an anglophone as someone who is not a gifted public speaker. I don't think the jumbled way he delivered his message suggests there is anything to be suspicious of. And he was likely asked not to name the politician - for the same reason the politician wasnt allowed to attend.

Ill do my best to describe what I took away from his speech:

He is talking about how factory farms are comparable to corporate radio in that everything is so standardized and tightly controlled by big money.  He's touching on those themes because the event is in support of family farms and he himself is a musician. Its stuff he's able to speak to in the context of the event. And then he goes on to imply that the US needs a hero to lead them. But that like the sanitized and monolithic nature of factory farms and corporate radio the DNC is also not of the people anymore and are tightly controlled by a few wealthy people. That as a result they lack the courage or conviction to rise to the challenges of these uncertain times. 

And think by saying "Liberals" instead of DNC he's maybe also suggesting that the climate of liberalism in the US isn't responding adequately to the crisis the Trump White House presents.

Edited by soon
  • Thanks 1