No Holds Barred Thread - Post Anything That Is On Your Mind, Even the Politically Incorrect!

Ace Nova

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is not the place's fault that you, people not historically informed, are all stupid cunts haha. But an explanation along the lines of: ''it is an ancient Asian word for prosperity, and the town named itself after that well before anyone had heard of Hitler'' takes 10 seconds. 

It might well be an ancient word for prosperity and the symbol itself predates the Nazis by thousands of years but you know as well I do that meanings change. You're just being a stubborn contrarian as usual.

Just now, Dazey said:

It might well be an ancient word for prosperity and the symbol itself predates the Nazis by thousands of years but you know as well I do that meanings change. You're just being a stubborn contrarian as usual.

I am just being absolutely correct.

If human ignorance has led people to believe that ''swastika'' as a term has something to do with European fascism, then we should not be supporting and spreading this historical stupidity but pointing out the silliness.

In Asia they couldn't give a shit about Hitler haha,

Hitler's Hot In India : NPR

https://www.npr.org/2012/12/23/167911062/hitlers-hot-in-india?t=1601069362968

They just have a different history and historical relationship, so do not get emotionally wrought by Hitler and the Nazis - apparently the Nazis do not feature massively in the Indian curriculum.

it is telling that the universally accepted meaning of a word can change from "posterity and luck" to "killing women and children in gas chambers".

2+2=5

it's not really about keeping the damn town name. But more about how fundamental truths can be turned a full 180 degrees, and a whole populations accepts that. that is actually a really scary thought.

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I am just being absolutely correct.

If human ignorance has led people to believe that ''swastika'' as a term has something to do with European fascism, then we should not be supporting and spreading this historical stupidity but pointing out the silliness.

Well you can go out and evangelize for the swastika all you want. Just be sure to send us a video of you getting your head kicked in. :lol: 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Well you can go out and evangelize for the swastika all you want. Just be sure to send us a video of you getting your head kicked in. :lol: 

Who the heck is going to kick my head in haha?

In one-hundred years time a tyrant names his tyrannical political party ''Altrincham'', a community first attested 1290. Would you advocate changing your town's name just because some wanker in the future will adopt it?

Edited by DieselDaisy
tense confusion

It is true of course that words change , but still today स्वस्तिक (svástika) means exactly the same thing as it did in antiquity,

From सु- (sú, “good, well”) + अस्ति (ásti-), a verbal abstract to the root of the verb "to be", svasti thus meaning "well-being" — and the diminutive suffix क (-ka); hence "little thing associated with well-being", corresponding roughly to "lucky charm". The word first appears in the Classical Sanskrit (in the Ramayana and Mahabharata epics).

This is inherent haha. It isn't even so much a historic thing but a linguistic thing. When you hear the word you are literally hearing, ''lucky charm''. 

Some morons think because justice isn't done that it's an excuse to riot and destroy stores and neighborhoods.

They are lucky they live in American, because if it was some other countries they would be shot and killed right there in the streets.

Sometimes I think we have too much freedom here and some people take advantage of it.

The way the world is going, we won't have any police doing their jobs because they won't be appreciated and their lives will be in danger too.

People need to get an education and fight the right way. Rioting, looting is not the way to go.

This country is being destroyed from the inside out. I can't stand watching the news anymore. it makes me so angry and sad at the same time.

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

We therefore would be changing the name of an 112 year old community based on utter historic ignorance!

Yes, because few people are history nerds and 99 percent of people living today recognize and identify the swastika as something evil.  

I believe the n word was not used as a racial slur for two hundred years before it became pejorative.  Perhaps you should include this in your mission to take back what so many have wrong.  You know, from a historical perspective.

Or perhaps you're just the real-life version of Randal from Clerks II:

62693453.jpg

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, downzy said:

Yes, because few people are history nerds and 99 percent of people living today recognize and identify the swastika as something evil.  

I believe the n word was not used as a racial slur for two hundred years before it became pejorative.  Perhaps you should include this in your mission to take back what so many have wrong.  You know, from a historical perspective.

Or perhaps you're just the real-life version of Randal from Clerks II:

62693453.jpg

You do not have to be a ''history nerd'' to understand this stuff, which, with good education standards, should actually be information that is known to everyone. Indeed, you merely have to travel anywhere in Asia today to find swastikas ubiquitous! Are you going to start removing swastikas from?

1024px-Swastika-seoel_(xndr).jpg

swastika-in-bao-quoc-pagoda-buddhist-tem

swastika2-1024x585.jpg

Are you going to tell Indians to change their given name? 

I do not understand the latter reference. 

PS

'' 99 percent of people living today''?

Do you really want me to set forth the combined percentage of India and China and place it before you?

Edited by DieselDaisy

44 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You do not have to be a ''history nerd'' to understand this stuff, which, with good education standards, should actually be information that is known to everyone. Indeed, you merely have to travel anywhere in Asia today to find swastikas ubiquitous! Are you going to start removing swastikas from?

1024px-Swastika-seoel_(xndr).jpg

swastika-in-bao-quoc-pagoda-buddhist-tem

swastika2-1024x585.jpg

Are you going to tell Indians to change their given name? 

I do not understand the latter reference. 

PS

'' 99 percent of people living today''?

Do you really want me to set forth the combined percentage of India and China and place it before you?

You must be so much fun at a party. 

”You have a problem with the swastika?  Let me tell you why you and everyone else here is wrong...”

Good times. 

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

”You have a problem with the swastika?  Let me tell you why you and everyone else here is wrong...”

Good times. 

I'm not into Kevin Smith's stuff I'm afraid, although I have an old school friend who is. I liked Clerks but his stuff regressed quickly following that film. 

8 hours ago, downzy said:

Good times. 

He's REALLY right though.  You gotta think beyond yourself and your parameters, the fact is the majority of the world don't think of it as a nazi symbol.  Go to Pakistan or India and, aside from a certain educated intellgensia around the big cities the VAST majority of those people see and know that thing as a buddhist symbol.  See world history is a big important thing here in western countries but there are many many many countries in the world that don't teach world history they teach their own history and their own religions.  Places like India, Pakistan, China, Korea, Japan and countries like Bhutan and Cambodia and Taiwan and Sri Lanka (and many others, I'm not an authority on countries with Hindu/Buddhist populations) this is a MASSIVE chunk of the world, all recognise this thing to this day as a hindu symbol.  I go into my local cornershop and they've got it written on the floor outside their shop and next to the statue of their God that sits by the counter.  In India its everywhere, in restaurants and rickshaws and houses of worship and walls and books and over peoples front doors.  99% of people living today in no way recognise that symbol as reflective of evil, there's an entire world out there outside of America, Canada England and Europe (as well as millions of people in those countries, otherwise they'd be fire-bombing hindu temples and cornershops by now) who recognise that symbol for what it is, Asia is like the largest continent in the world is it not?  I think? 

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

He's REALLY right though.  You gotta think beyond yourself and your parameters, the fact is the majority of the world don't think of it as a nazi symbol.  Go to Pakistan or India and, aside from a certain educated intellgensia around the big cities the VAST majority of those people see and know that thing as a buddhist symbol.  See world history is a big important thing here in western countries but there are many many many countries in the world that don't teach world history they teach their own history and their own religions

But we’re not talking about those countries.  The discussion started because someone posted something about a town in Canada named after a word and symbol that has a deeply entrenched and ingrained meaning.  I have been all throughout India and have seen the swastika in various places. As much as it made me uncomfortable I accepted that that part of the world had for the most part was left untouched by both the war but also by the cultural and symbolic impressions the war had on most other parts of the world. 

In Canada and other western countries we still see neo-Nazi groups use the swastika as a form of political speech. Unlike in India, it still has only one connotation to most people living in North America or Europe. I get that things are different in other parts of the world as I have seen it first hand, but the discussion relates to how it is perceived here. There are hundreds of thousands of first and second generation Indians who live in Canada. You will never see them display the symbol here out of respect for what it means to most Canadians even if it means something entirely. 

• Like 1

In Hindu and Buddhist culture the swastika is a holy symbol. On the holiday of Divali, Hindu households commonly use the swastika in decorations. Many Indian auto-rickshaws feature the swastika to ward off ill-fortune. Reverence for the swastika symbol in Asian cultures, in contrast to the West's stigmatization of the symbol, has led to misinterpretations and misunderstandings.[

The swastika continues to be used as a symbol of good luck and prosperity in Hindu and Buddhist countries such as Nepal, India, Mongolia, China and Japan. It is also commonly used in Hindu marriage ceremoni

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

But we’re not talking about those countries.  The discussion started because someone posted something about a town in Canada named after the a word and symbol that has a deeply entrenched and ingrained meaning.

Right but you said 99% of the world sees it as a nazi thing, thats just incorrect.

As much as it made me uncomfortable I accepted that that part of the world had for the most part was left untouched by both the war but also by the cultural and symbolic impressions the war had on most other parts of the world. 

Why would it make you feel uncomfortable if you know it doesn't mean that thing to them? 

Unlike in India, it still has only one connotation to most people living in North America or Europe.

Again, I don't think thats true either, I think a great many people know its not, especially when framed in a hindu or buddhist concept...I mean what do they think they are looking at, brown-skinned believers in the supremacy to the Germanic race? :lol:  Aincent Nepalese Nazi statues?  There's a lot of Indians and Hindus and Buddhists in the western world too, shit, as I was saying earlier (and I live in a working class/lower middle class town just outside London, not some high minded seat of learning) the shop down the street has one painted on the step as you come in, been that way for years, no ones bricked their windows yet.  Seen it all over the place.

There are hundreds of thousands of first and second generation Indians who live in Canada. You will never see them display the symbol here out of respect for what it means to most Canadians even if it means something entirely. 

Either that or they think you're particularly intolerant (not you personally Downzy ol' buddy ol' pal, the people of Canada) not having any personal experience of Canada I wouldn't know, you certainly seem a nice bunch of lads online.

On a side note, the nazi one is kinda tilted to the side.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Right but you said 99% of the world sees it as a nazi thing, thats just incorrect

Exactly. The Earth is a population of 7.52 Billion. Hindus  and Chinese make up  47% of the world with 1.2 Billion and 1.15 billion respectfully.

I think the Hindus and Bhuddists would be more concerned about making the Jews feel uncomfortable then the Canadians.  Don’t know the population Jews in Canada

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

I hate to complicate things further, but this Canuck is addicted to Banh Mi and as such is into China Town frequently (even though Banh mi is Vietnamese). And there are a lot of Buddhist centres that have swastikas in their carved and/or painted entrance ways.

Never just a big ol swastika, mind. They are often part of a larger, ornate thing. And are usually on an angle, compared to the NAZIs one. TBH Ive never really thought twice about it.

I also was given a copy of the Falun Gong book that has a swastika on the inside flap. ("blame it on the Falun Gong..") They are out in front of parliament most days rasing awareness of their plight.

Edited by soon

I'd agree with downzy if the town was founded sometime after 1933 by a commune of North American fascists haha, but we have established that the town - more specifically the mine from which the town is named - precedes the foundation of the NSDAP and certifiably is named in accordance with the word's thoroughly benevolent ancient usage, pertaining to the desires and fortunes of mining prospectors.

To change it would be to elevate human ignorance and error to a position it does not deserve. 

I know the Nazis didn't invent this symbol yet that's the first thing I think of when I see it. I can imagine that people who have lost their entire family in the war, not being comfortable seeing huge swastika symbols on stores or whatever, even if it means something else. So out of respect and compassion I wouldn't use it in any way.

• Like 1