Slash says a little more about how they ended up with the NITL lineup (+reunion with Axl)

Just now, GNRfanMILO said:

Meh, I think the only problem here is the drummer. Frank's a good drummer, just not the correct type of drummer for GNR. I think that's the only reason why GNR doesn't sound like those Kings of Chaos videos, or Foo Fighter's cover of It's So Easy.

Fortus, on the other hand, is a beast AND fits GNR. I think that having Gilby or even Izzy, but with Frank on drums, wouldn't change a thing.

But I see why he's still on the band. It's not easy to drum on 3hour sets every night, in the longest tour in GNR's history.

Pretty much this. As a musician, I reccon Frank is a technical drummer - otherwise, as a GNR fan, I think he lacks Rock n Roll influences.

Nevertheless, I'd rather have in my band a guy that doesn't match my band's sound 100% but is loyal and friendly, than to deal with a perfect drummer technically, but with ego issues (Sorum).

8 hours ago, soon said:

Its cool to get more info on this. After reading it, Im left wondering why either party didn't simply suggest a different date for a guest slot?

He stated he was asked to come “jam”, not an actual offer to join the reunion. It was probably, just a fishing expedition for the band. There would be no reason for Gilby to join when Firth’s has been there for 15 years. I just don’t see Axl going that direction unless Slash/Duff has a legitimate reason. 

8 hours ago, Modano09 said:

I'm guessing it fell apart with Izzy over money/commitment and without Izzy they didn't feel obligated to stick with Alder. 

Now, why Izzy would be at rehearsal without an agreement in place, who knows? Maybe he was there to discuss terms. Maybe they wanted to get a look at him and see if he could still play. 

Izzy seems to turn up whenever he wants. He has said if there was a reunion he’d like to be part of it. Izzy probably isn’t as business as Axl, Duff, Slash. That’s the business partnership that was reignited. Izzy like some fans might see Guns as the OG 5 before all the money and mega tours. He doesn’t even like touring. I think physically he can’t either. So unless the big money and respect is there for him he’s not going to do it for Dj Ashba money. He could probably be on board as the 3rd guitarist, playing Dust and 14 Years if he wanted to. To come in for Fortus is a big thing. It’s a lot of work. 

Steven seemed to say Duff and Slash didn’t want him. But then he was at rehearsals and then hurt his back. I don’t think that was a cover story. But it showed he can’t really take on the responsibility of a huge tour. But Axl knackered his foot the first show. But Steven also never has done a huge stadium tour ever. 

I believe that going back in Slash and Duff probably wanted the 5. Adler was at the HOF. And Izzy they assumed would just appear and he did. 

But it’s possible with Izzy and Steven it would only last a few shows. If Izzy just did it for salary he may have not agreed to the whole big tour. 

It would have been cool to have the 5 for Troubadour, Coachella. But then when Izzy drops out and Steven injures his back does that affect the big money sales. Like fans walking around saying I saw the real GNR you’re just seeing some cash grab cover band without Izzy and Adler. 

This way they at least have the AFD line up reunion up their sleeve if they are ever feeling light. Or do it for the fans one day. 

Back to the future is always hard to do on the 7th movie. 

Apparently they offered Gilby a guest spot originally? But his daughter was playing Lollapolozza.

They should still get him in there! Imagine some Wild Horses action... maybe Dead Flowers... I dunno what’s a good Gilby song? 

NITL needs more scarves!

Edited by Ant

59 minutes ago, wasted said:

Izzy seems to turn up whenever he wants. He has said if there was a reunion he’d like to be part of it. Izzy probably isn’t as business as Axl, Duff, Slash. That’s the business partnership that was reignited. Izzy like some fans might see Guns as the OG 5 before all the money and mega tours. He doesn’t even like touring. I think physically he can’t either. So unless the big money and respect is there for him he’s not going to do it for Dj Ashba money. He could probably be on board as the 3rd guitarist, playing Dust and 14 Years if he wanted to. To come in for Fortus is a big thing. It’s a lot of work. 

Steven seemed to say Duff and Slash didn’t want him. But then he was at rehearsals and then hurt his back. I don’t think that was a cover story. But it showed he can’t really take on the responsibility of a huge tour. But Axl knackered his foot the first show. But Steven also never has done a huge stadium tour ever. 

I believe that going back in Slash and Duff probably wanted the 5. Adler was at the HOF. And Izzy they assumed would just appear and he did. 

But it’s possible with Izzy and Steven it would only last a few shows. If Izzy just did it for salary he may have not agreed to the whole big tour. 

It would have been cool to have the 5 for Troubadour, Coachella. But then when Izzy drops out and Steven injures his back does that affect the big money sales. Like fans walking around saying I saw the real GNR you’re just seeing some cash grab cover band without Izzy and Adler. 

This way they at least have the AFD line up reunion up their sleeve if they are ever feeling light. Or do it for the fans one day. 

Back to the future is always hard to do on the 7th movie. 

I honestly find it hard to believe that Izzy would be willing and capable of doing a 2 or 3 year stadium tour. It just doesn't fall in line with what we know about him. At the very least I can't see him signing contracts in 2015 that would lock him into touring through 2018. And without Izzy, it's not a true reunion, so they're not forced into Adler. 

It sounds like the whole thing started out as a couple of shows and expanded on the fly so I think they probably did plan on Izzy and Adler until the tour grew into something bigger than they could handle. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Modano09 said:

I honestly find it hard to believe that Izzy would be willing and capable of doing a 2 or 3 year stadium tour. It just doesn't fall in line with what we know about him. At the very least I can't see him signing contracts in 2015 that would lock him into touring through 2018. And without Izzy, it's not a true reunion, so they're not forced into Adler. 

It sounds like the whole thing started out as a couple of shows and expanded on the fly so I think they probably did plan on Izzy and Adler until the tour grew into something bigger than they could handle. 

Yeah I think they may have thought initially it might be the 5, but that didn’t work out. I don’t think Izzy is gagging for it like Steven seems to be. If they wanted Steven he could have joined the tour, unless Frank signed on for the big tour. 

But I just don’t think Izzy or Steven are stadium guys. And they don’t need the money like the other 3 do. 

18 hours ago, Modano09 said:

I think there's a rumor Izzy did a soundcheck? It's really just something that's mentioned on here from time to time, not sure where it came from.

Axl had the cancelled Kimmel appearance and who exactly was in the band was pretty secretive for months so my guess is they were feeling out a possible Appetite 5 and it fell through.

That was denied long time ago by several sides.  Iz apparently didn't have anything to do with them creativly after negotiations fell through

• Like 1

Gilby's daughter played Lollapalooza 2016 on July 29th 2016

GNR played Orlando, FL on July 29th 2016

So there's the show Gilby was supposed to guest on

Izzy supposedly soundchecked with the band in Nashville on July 9th but then walked out, so maybe that's where the band got the idea to call Gilby again

Edited by TheSeeker

11 minutes ago, Gunner927 said:

Tastes Good, Don't It?

Man how raunchy would it be to pull that out at this stage in the game. Slash and Ax with their bellies and hair extensions talking about busting in mouths.  

People in the front row just kinda looking at the ground... Axl can do his “you’re a very sexy girl” pussy grab thing.... it’ll be great. And ol’ Scarves holding down the rhythm.... let’s make it happen.

Edited by Ant

15 minutes ago, Ninjapie24 said:

I would love to see Gilby, but I think Richard does a pretty good job and isn’t the big problem. The biggest problem is definitely Frank. I think if they got Matt instead, the quality would go up significantly.

Well i guess that would impact upon overall band chemistry. And would sorum control his ego and not be as a full on a person  as he was during VR, or would he just take a back seat.

I can understand why axl kept the CD players in and those he felt were loyal and trustworthy and easy to keep...those you are familiar with so the band chemistrys alot easier.

Edited by Sydney Fan

10 hours ago, Ninjapie24 said:

I would love to see Gilby, but I think Richard does a pretty good job and isn’t the big problem. The biggest problem is definitely Frank. I think if they got Matt instead, the quality would go up significantly.

I'd prefer if they got Brain back. Fantastic drummer and he's still been connected to Axl behind-the-scenes even since he left the band

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ant said:

What do we want Gilby to guest on?? These are important questions.

Anything from SI...he did record them covers! And TBH has played illusion songs probs 1000 more times than Izzy has bothered his hole to....keep Rich...Guest gilby and Guest Matt Sorum n im happy 

23 hours ago, Ant said:

If they gave Matt a guest spot... I feel like he would drum the fuck out of whatever song he got to prove a point. I mean puttin’ double bass in November Rain and smashing his gong with his Dizzy’s head. It’d be relentless, scorched earth playing.

Hell yeah! 😎