Whatever happened to the GN'R biopic?

Back in the early 90's, Entertainment Weekly reported that a documentary called 'Perfect Crime' was being made. It was going to be an official documentary along the lines of 'Rattle And Hum' and 'Madonna Truth Or Dare'. Supposedly, there was footage of Axl taking a dump in a bucket.

Since that didn't pan out, I'd be happy with a behind the scenes 'Not In This Lifetime' documentary.

23 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

Back in the early 90's, Entertainment Weekly reported that a documentary called 'Perfect Crime' was being made. It was going to be an official documentary along the lines of 'Rattle And Hum' and 'Madonna Truth Or Dare'. Supposedly, there was footage of Axl taking a dump in a bucket.

Since that didn't pan out, I'd be happy with a behind the scenes 'Not In This Lifetime' documentary.

Here's the crazy part: Supposedly Donald Trump was gonna fund that documentary :lol:

Edited by -W.A.R-

I'd love to see a proper, large-scale biopic for GN'R. I feel like they've been lost to time for a lot of people who listened to them in the early '90s and the late '80s. Most people i know don't know a single Illusion song, not even November Rain, or Live and Let Die; some might know Knockin' On Heaven's Door and that's about it.. Even just knows the three big Appetite singles, granted, those songs are huge and some of my favorite of all time, but the Use Your Illusion tour is one of the biggest in history. The Illusion albums have sold dozens of millions.. It's not like GN'R was a one album wonder. It's frustrating my favorite band doesn't necessarily have all the different albums, live albums, documentaries, and strength that it should. I'd give a great deal of money to see Perfect Crime, Illusion tour stuff, or even the South American tour documentary from 2010ish, i think, that was supposed to come out. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

On 10/16/2018 at 2:45 PM, soon said:

I wonder if that Uproxx doc with Canter burned bridges with Duff and Slash? Was that before or after this article?

I remember hearing that Slash and Marc's friendship was damaged around that time and now Slash doesn't speak to him...

I would certainly think that once Slash rejoined GN'R he was very much against Marc or anybody trying to make a theatrical film about the glory days of the band. This may have doomed the project because let's face it - was Axl ever going to be okay with this? Was he ever going to license his music to a movie about him? I don't think so.

He's too self-conscious to ever be okay with a movie made about him - some actor playing him. Not to mention, all the controversy.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AslatIE said:

A mini series about the end of the UYI tour leading to Chinese Democracy's release would be veryyy nice:shades:

Do you really thnk a word mini is appropriate for this? That would have been longer than Dynasty, Santa Barbara, ER and Baywatch together, joined by Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place! 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

I remember hearing that Slash and Marc's friendship was damaged around that time and now Slash doesn't speak to him...

I would certainly think that once Slash rejoined GN'R he was very much against Marc or anybody trying to make a theatrical film about the glory days of the band. This may have doomed the project because let's face it - was Axl ever going to be okay with this? Was he ever going to license his music to a movie about him? I don't think so.

He's too self-conscious to ever be okay with a movie made about him - some actor playing him. Not to mention, all the controversy.

Ah, and I remember Duff making a flippant remark about it.

Even the book was doomed. So Axl didn't want it published because it celebrated Slash and Duff. But now they are back. And possibly none of them have faith in Marc currently. Well said about Axl, it is hard to believe he'd support it and license his songs to it.

I dont really now how it works but they could just use non GnR music and then I dont know how much power Axl has to stop it? But why make a movie that the real life main characters are going to speak against publicly, I guess? And Canters got the family name to protect too.

1 hour ago, appetite4illusions said:

Axl Rose, more than any other artist I know (maybe Morrisey), doesn't want the kind of attention or infamy that would come with a movie. Even if it was a great movie, pulled off with great intentions, he would find something objectionable and uncomfortable.  This is a guy who worries how someone is going to present him in every line of every interview, he would never cooperate with a movie.

I guess he would have done it in the late 80s/early 90s, if I'm not wrong, the band appears on a 1988 film and they also did the YCBM video with Arnold, that would have been impossible with today's Axl, same for his tv appearences.

What I’m talking about is the band fictionalized.

Actors playing Axl and Slash. Conversations situations and situations being recreated. Controversy being shown without context.

That is too heightened a reality for someone who really values privacy and a low-key life.

I’m not saying a GN’R movie wouldn’t be awesome, but I don’t think there will ever be a Straight Outta Compton for Appetite For Destruction. If you’re hoping for a movie, cross your fingers for the UYI documentary because that could and should be released one day - to huge fanfare.

• Like 1