Whatever happened to the GN'R biopic?

37 minutes ago, Ninjapie24 said:

Idk, they found someone to be Freddie Mercury, and from what I’ve heard he did a fantastic job. If someone can nail Freddie, I think someone can be found for the band.

Well the thing is they found multiple Freddie's, Sacha Baron Cohen was supposed to play him, he looks even more like him than the guy they casted. But I can't see anyone actually being Axl.. or Duff or Steven definitely not Izzy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Well the thing is they found multiple Freddie's, Sacha Baron Cohen was supposed to play him, he looks even more like him than the guy they casted. But I can't see anyone actually being Axl.. or Duff or Steven definitely not Izzy

Sacha Baron Cohen May have looked like Freddie, but he is mostly a comedic actor and his performance may not have been able to capture Freddie correctly. From early reviews I’ve seen Rami Malek nails Freddie as a person and not just in looks. I think if enough searching was done, a respectable cast could be made that even resemble the members of GNR.

8 hours ago, Ninjapie24 said:

Sacha Baron Cohen May have looked like Freddie, but he is mostly a comedic actor and his performance may not have been able to capture Freddie correctly. From early reviews I’ve seen Rami Malek nails Freddie as a person and not just in looks. 

this.

There was a comedic musical loosely about Axl Rose called White Trash Wins Lotto in the late '90s; I believe it played in Broadway/LA before disappearing without a trace, but it did make this television appearance,

I remember this fueling rumours/speculation of a film and the name most commonly thrown about for Rose was Kevin Bacon! 

The Canter thing was a separate thing that came later and equally seems to have sunk without trace.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Haha 1

I doubt this would ever be approved or released while Axl is alive.  would open up too many old wounds for these guys.  so it either comes out when this incarnation breaks up without Axls consent, or 30 years from now when the guys are gone. 

my opinion, which could be totally wrong, is that Axl wants to be remembered for the guy he has become, especially since the reunion.  not the wine bottle throwing, riot causing, never on time hot head, bad behaving boyfriend and diva he was once known for

if there's ever going to be a movie, my guess would be it would be the illusions documentary.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chester 524 said:

I doubt this would ever be approved or released while Axl is alive.  would open up too many old wounds for these guys.  so it either comes out when this incarnation breaks up without Axls consent, or 30 years from now when the guys are gone. 

my opinion, which could be totally wrong, is that Axl wants to be remembered for the guy he has become, especially since the reunion.  not the wine bottle throwing, riot causing, never on time hot head, bad behaving boyfriend and diva he was once known for

if there's ever going to be a movie, my guess would be it would be the illusions documentary.  

Slash said too he don't like biopics, Axl not is the only.

• 1 month later...

Since i watched "Bohemian Rhapsody" i want a Guns N' Roses Movie! But in which era? defently the road to Appetite For Destruction.. 1985 to 1993 it's way tooo long for 120 minutes. I think the book "Reckless Road" by Marc Canter is a nice basis. Appetite for Desctuction is the best selling debut of all time! In needs a movie :-) The problem is "Boehmian Rhapsody" was family friendly but the original story of Freddie and GN'R aren't family friendly. The GN'R movie should only for adults :-D i think 120 minutes for Reckless Road and the making of Appetite is absoluty okay. Story starts with indroducing each band member.. first gig in Troubadour, than the HELL TOUR and the movie ends with the Appetite Tour '88 with a performance of Paradise City live at East Rutherford in New Jersey. because is they first gig in a stadium? supporting a big band like Aerosmith! (I mean its a dream for every band isn't it?) The problem is, the Donington incident, that must be in a movie (for dramatic and the the reason why are press named GN'R as a "most dangerous band in the world is) is after New Jersey. Movies can easily change the timeline. Scene with Donington, than New Jersey.. Even Bohemian Rhapsody changed the timeline for the movie. for example We Will Rock You wasn't wrote in the mustache era (80s)

• Like 1

When I was younger and more stupid I wanted a GNR biopic and thought it would be amazing.

now that I'm older and not as stupid I realize that a GN'R biopic would be nothing but disaster. 

With that being said, if a biopic were to ever be made for some strange reason, I would agree with the majority here that the AFD era would be the most appealing for the general public. Personally, however, I would be kinda curious to see a movie loosely based on modern day Axl that tells the story of a middle-aged, out-of-shape has-been who has become a parody of himself and has replaced every member of his band with a bunch of hacks and must now work to make amends with (most) of his classic band mates and associates in order to try to regain at least some of his credibility, and as icing on the cake also gets to sing for another classic band that was an influence on him at the same time.

So basically a movie about a fictional band that takes inspiration from the 2014-2016 era when we were transitioning from the Ashba/Bumblefoot/Stinson/Pitman joke of a lineup to NITL. You could have loose imagery and flashbacks of the fictional band's equivalent of "AFD" and "UYI" in order to add a little bit of "mythic" weight to the story (i.e. Legendary washed-up rocker trying to regain his former glory).

i used to also want a biopic focused on the UYI era, but now I realize that the Perfect Crime doc would be a much better alternative to that.

There’s a lot of good stuff from the creation of Guns N Roses to the insane UYI tour. Tons of material to sift through for a movie. Axl of course being the catalyst for the craziness surrounding them.

I think the Behind the Music thing resonated with a lot of people. It surged fans back into the mystery and excitement gnr brought and it wasn’t even that great of a documentary. 

But following the downfall of that I think Axl doesn’t give away rights to anything similar Involving the  band 

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Marc doesn't post here anymore. He stopped posting here after the 2016 reunion cause, in his words, "the war was over." His sub-forum that the admins made for him was shut down shortly after.

Thanks for the reply. But it is sort of weird that Marc felt that it was his duty to speak on behalf of Axl and Slash while this war was going on. In his mind, I wonder if he feels that their reconciliation had anything to do with his missionary work here?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, todreamofwolves said:

Thanks for the reply. But it is sort of weird that Marc felt that it was his duty to speak on behalf of Axl and Slash while this war was going on. In his mind, I wonder if he feels that their reconciliation had anything to do with his missionary work here?

In that interview i quoted he explained that he wanted to post on the forum to try to get Axl fans and Slash fans to level with eachother and reason with one another a but. Not necessarily to speak on behalf of Axl or Slash directly. Then again, who knows how he really feels about the whole thing personally?

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

In that interview i quoted he explained that he wanted to post on the forum to try to get Axl fans and Slash fans to level with eachother and reason with one another a but. Not necessarily to speak on behalf of Axl or Slash directly. Then again, who knows how he really feels about the whole thing personally?

This is exactly right

During the time he was on the forums chatting with us, there definitely was that whole "Axl vs Slash" thing between fans, in fact from a period from like 2009 or so, it was just fucking horrible lol probably the most contentious time at least that I can recall on the forums.  In some of his posts, I remember Marc talked about wanting to shed light on things to help reduce that level of negativity going on

• Like 1