Do you see Velvet Revolver coming back at some point?

Ralphelmo

Many people I know were shocked after they've seen Slash's interview recently, where he said that Velvet Revolver was 'no fun at all'. This band gave us some classic hard rock tunes, but we have to accept the fact that the hiatus lasts longer than the band did. Is it all about the singer? Scott was exceptional, way ahead of his best times with STP he had his career bouncing up again. It's no secret that they hated him, maybe besides Duff. Now, with GNR reunion and Slash releasing new music with SMKC (this band is 8 years old now!), should we look forward to see something fresh on that matter? I know guys couldn't stand people calling VR a supergroup, but after all those years they should keep that label in my opinion. Search for well known, charismatic vocalist and make a record with all those riffs and ideas hidden in the vault. If I was the one to choose, I'd call Gary Cherone. First of all, he's available, he's far from being a 'diva' and more importantly he doesn't age at all, just check those videos :blink:

This is crazy! 

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Haha 1

Velvet Revolver sans Scott would sound like a totally different band, so what would be the point?

I think Slash is busy enough these days, he doesn't need to reform a long defunct band and go through the hassle of finding another singer etc.

I did think Read Between The Lines from the latest SMKC record sounded very Velvet Revolver though. 

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i dont think its gonna happen, but imo jeff gutt the current STP frontman could handle the vocal part quite well... and at least I would love some VR with a decent frontman, even just for a couple of shows, now that axl is losing his voice faster than ever and SMKC being not my cup of tea (just sounds all the same imo)
VR was really great and i think with an easier to handle frontman it could be fun at some point

Why should they as long as GNR is active? If GNR broke up again I can see it happen. 

It's the most logical and the easiest thing to do for Duff and Slash if they wanna do somewhat bigger than their solo careers are.

I think it's possible that we might hear the third VR record with Corey on vocals as well some day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I think it's possible that we might hear the third VR record with Corey on vocals as well some day.

If recordings of VR with Corey Taylor exist, I hope they leak someday. Those would be cool to hear.

On topic: VR isn't coming back, nor should they. I'd love to hear Slash do another album with an 'all-star vocalist' roster though, or maybe form a different 'supergroup', and include Duff and Matt in it.

In an ideal world they'd hire Izzy, call it The Project, and record/tour as that.

The only scenario where this would be a thing is if there is a large enough disagreement between Axl and Slash that they need to part ways, again.  If that happened, I can See Slash and Duff cashing in and milking the VR teet.  Get some well know singer and Izzy to join and suddenly it's a thing.  Outside of a GnR rift, how could this happen?  Where would Slash find the time?  I know the divorce was costly, but Slash doesn't need to work 3 jobs.

• Like 1

Nah.

Velvet Revolver was always, regardless of their denials at the time, their Guns N' Roses, i.e., a riposte to Rose's illegitimate Nugnr experiment, and with Rose, Hudson and McKagan re-united the necessity of that band existing today exists no longer for Slash and Duff. 

• Like 4

They might do a one off for a charity event in a club or theatre. Nothing else I don't think.

After all the band began by playing at Castillos fundraiser. They reformed once with Scott for a charity (2013?). And it seems possible that part of Sorums current income is from being on charitable committees. Kushner also does charitable/fundraising work but I cant recall what.

They could do rotating singers with Shooter Jennings, Buck Cherry guy, Corey Taylor and even some of the Kings of Chaos folks like Zander. Give a bunch of instruments to under served schools. I could definitely see this happening.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, soon said:

They might do a one off for a charity event in a club or theatre. Nothing else I don't think.

After all the band began by playing at Castillos fundraiser. They reformed once with Scott for a charity (2013?). And it seems possible that part of Sorums current income is from being on charitable committees. Kushner also does charitable/fundraising work but I cant recall what.

They could do rotating singers with Shooter Jennings, Buck Cherry guy, Corey Taylor and even some of the Kings of Chaos folks like Zander. Give a bunch of instruments to under served schools. I could definitely see this happening.

It was 2012 when they did the one-off show with Scott (right before he was kicked out of STP, actually).

VR were a really cool band at the time.  It was the last time that any of these guys lived up to the "dangerous" label that they have.

Contraband was a fantastic album, my favorite post Guns album.

I'm a huge fan of Slash and i was so excited to finally see him live back in 2005.  However, it was Scott that stole the show.  He was absolutely mesmerizing. 

In fact, i'm not sure I ever attended a show were the front-man grabbed my attention as much.  And Scott is not my favourite singer / frontman.  

But VR is done now.  It would be distasteful to continue without Scott.  If Slash and Duff fancy doing another project outside of Guns, it should be a whole new project.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Not a chance

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Nah.

Velvet Revolver was always, regardless of their denials at the time, their Guns N' Roses, i.e., a riposte to Rose's illegitimate Nugnr experiment, and with Rose, Hudson and McKagan re-united the necessity of that band existing today exists no longer for Slash and Duff. 

Yup. Would love to see Slash and Duff with Kings of Chaos again (alongside Gilby and Matt of course).

Gary Cherone? lol No thanks...

VR are never coming back...  They were great but there is no point without Scott..

Slash is happy with SMKC unfortunately... The band is great but Myles makes for boring songs.

Slash and Duff aren't going to start a side project outside of Gn'R

I would kill to see Izzy, Slash, Duff and Adler do something though.

• Like 2