Do you see Velvet Revolver coming back at some point?

Ralphelmo

I think it would be cool if they did a couple shows just so we got a chance to hear the music again. I am not really a Myles fan but he does a damn good job on the VR songs. He sounds better on them than his own songs. I think it would be cool to see them to a few shows with him. 

On 11/14/2018 at 4:47 PM, Stiff Competition said:

I'd rather Dave and Matt just replace richard/frank in GN'R and then they found their new singer.

That would be fucking amazing. I would even learn to ignore Smurfette if the swapped out Frank and Fortus for Matt and Kushner.  The band would sound so much better.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TeeJay410 said:

I just want to hear the Corey Taylor album, but I do worry it was a collection of, as Scott Weiland described the initial VR demos sent to him, Bad Company gone wrong tracks with a Corey vocal because he wouldn’t ever given the pushback Scott would.

I would also love to hear the Corey Taylor recordings. Just the fact that they had Corey Taylor wanting to be their singer sounds like a missed opportunity. You ain't gonna get much better in this day and age.

They knew enough to know when it was over. They couldn't replace Scott and they couldn't find someone with enough of a musical identity to reshape their sound. 

In fact, the only album they were ever really in sync with was Contraband, Scott and the band were on other pages on Libertad, so they really only had one album where there was a whole "band identity."

A more interesting question, is what will happen to that material that was written for the third album? After years of trying to get it going again, they must have written some kick-ass material. Will it be recycled in other bands?

I remember, one track that the band wrote in the Libertad sessions but never recorded with Scott, was called "Muthafucka." When they were auditioning people for the vacant spot, some skinny British guy got a copy of Muthafucka so he could write and perform a vocal on it. The guy put it on Youtube and it was...so bad! It was silly and the guy was trying to Scott it up, the whole time. Of course, after a day or so of endless ribbing, this singer took the song down in embarrassment. But despite this poor guy's audition, I remembered how cool the riff and music to that song sounded. 

I wish we could hear the stuff that they wrote.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

They knew enough to know when it was over. They couldn't replace Scott and they couldn't find someone with enough of a musical identity to reshape their sound. 

In fact, the only album they were ever really in sync with was Contraband, Scott and the band were on other pages on Libertad, so they really only had one album where there was a whole "band identity."

A more interesting question, is what will happen to that material that was written for the third album? After years of trying to get it going again, they must have written some kick-ass material. Will it be recycled in other bands?

I remember, one track that the band wrote in the Libertad sessions but never recorded with Scott, was called "Muthafucka." When they were auditioning people for the vacant spot, some skinny British guy got a copy of Muthafucka so he could write and perform a vocal on it. The guy put it on Youtube and it was...so bad! It was silly and the guy was trying to Scott it up, the whole time. Of course, after a day or so of endless ribbing, this singer took the song down in embarrassment. But despite this poor guy's audition, I remembered how cool the riff and music to that song sounded. 

I wish we could hear the stuff that they wrote.

There is 10 completed demos with Corey Taylor on vocals however slash decided he didnt fit the mold or direction of what they were looking for.

This was to be the followup to Libertad

• Like 1

21 hours ago, vloors said:

There is 10 completed demos with Corey Taylor on vocals however slash decided he didnt fit the mold or direction of what they were looking for.

This was to be the followup to Libertad

I’d kinda like to hear the material with no vocals, so I can imagine whomever I like leading VR.

To think, we almost got a VR album with Franky Perez! Slash took mercy on all of us, with that one..

• 5 months later...
24 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

Even GNR never sounded so tight... After all I've seen it's the drums that makes difference, vide Fitz or Sorum.

VR did GNR better than Current GNR does.

Dave complimented Slash better and Matt could out drum frank with one arm tied behind his back.

This video in particular is the band imploding (and its still good!). 2 shows later would be their last official show (aside from the one off reunion in hollywood a few years later)

I've always really dug the download 2007 videos/audio...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

Dave complimented Slash better and Matt could out drum frank with one arm tied behind his back.

This video in particular is the band imploding (and its still good!). 2 shows later would be their last official show (aside from the one off reunion in hollywood a few years later)

Some would probably argue he would be better with both hands tied behind his back.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ralphelmo said:

Even GNR never sounded so tight... After all I've seen it's the drums that makes difference, vide Fitz or Sorum.

51 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

Totally agree. The drums make all the difference there. Matt (and Fitz) plays with a lot more attitude than Frank.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stro said:

Shame Matt didn't play/sound like that when he was actually in GNR playing GNR songs. 

So true! He got exponentially better... He’s ham-fisted on the UYI stuff, but when I saw VR on the Libertad tour he was a definite highlight. 

I think we can safely blame the perm.

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

To me, Scott's vocals are as much a part of the VR sound as Slash's guitar riffs

I felt the same way when STP replaced Scott with Chester after Scott left (again).  While totally understandable because Scott was a mess, it just wasn't STP to me - same with the new singer they have, and I know Scott is no longer here which changes things but still, it is hard to listen to his bands, without him

• Like 1

Vr may be back but a lot of things have 2 happen 

First Gnr don’t  make a new record 

Smkc is on hiatus due to Myles Being on tour with Alterbridge 

Slash will always Record and tour as long as he can and he is playing and creating as good as he has in my mind Maybe his career 

Slash 

Duff 

Sorum 

Kush 

Singer From Dirty Honey 

Brandon Maier would be Killer - The Kid has Layne Staley pipes and sound - if you haven’t heard him and are a fan of Alice in Chainz it worth a listen -His New Band is called Chout - Brandon did a gig for A tribute to Layne in Seattle - he slayed it and also got the approval of Laynes Mother at the gig - Love  the kids voice and considering when Slash was asked live or dead whom he would like to perform with he said Layne Staley 

Edited by TMAC20
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TMAC20 said:

Vr may be back but a lot of things have 2 happen 

First Gnr don’t  make a new record 

Smkc is on hiatus due to Myles Being on tour with Alterbridge 

Slash will always Record and tour as long as he can and he is playing and creating as good as he has in my mind Maybe his career 

Slash 

Duff 

Sorum 

Kush 

Singer From Dirty Honey 

Brandon Maier would be Killer - Te Kid has Layne Staley pipes and sound 

VR is dead and buried. When Myles is out with AB Slash can tour with GnR and when Myles is available they'll do SMKC. None of them have any reason to revive VR again, especially now that GnR is back. And I think it's safe to say that Duff isn't super interested in doing a big long tour with another band since he's making millions in GnR.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah not gonna happen. I was hoping this for a long, long time. VR still is one of my all time favs. But with the reunion, Slash having success with SMKC as his solo band and Duff also venturing into other terrorities its just not gonna happen. 

Like someone said in this topic, I think it was also kinda setup as an act against NuGNR or to offer an alternative, that 'need' is now gone as well. Its a shame, I really liked Dave and the vibe he brought. But I dont think Slash and Duff will look back at it with a lot of happy thought. Lots of hassle with Scott, both guys had a relapse into addiction. 

I was at the last show in Amsterdam. Well, until they did the kinda one-off 'reunion' with Scott.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't VR already reform, with Axl as the singer? It was a bold move to replace Sorum with Ferrer and Kushner with Fortus, and especially to change the name of the band, but it was probably done as a sign of respect to Scott and to signal the start of a new era. The setlist IS controversial (only one song off Contraband???), but I've heard the band is in fact selling tickets like never before. So long live VR, I say!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2