Axl's natural/singing voice type is actually bass?

With singers you get labelled either bass, tenor or baritone but Axl is the oddest case so its very hard to label him as one of the 3. Really in a way hes all but without using any mask or falsetto, i think hes actually a bass. I've seen many here claim hes a baritone or tenor.

He can go as low as C#2/C2 (with a full voice) (possibly minor fry) while most baritones can't go below F2ish. (obviously not all but its a general range)

These C2s while airy, are still a lot more powerful than your average baritone could produce

If you still think hes a tenor/baritone

Here hes topping out at about D#4/E4 in a full chest voice (sounds amazing) and thats right in range of a bass. Also pay attention to the "weight" and "thickness" of his voice here, its very very dark and heavy, and powerful.

But its not only his voice range thats bass but his actual timbre of his voice is very heavy and dark (i think this is what made his highs unique back in the day)

For any of you with a lower voice who know how hard it is to sing above f4 not using falsetto, you really gotta throw Axls Technique a lot of respect

His natural full voice range seems to be C#2 - E4 (excluding mask, falsetto etc)

Didn't put this in the mega axl voice thread because its more a general range thread i feel and not solely about Axl's recent voice, more a broad view of axl's singing over the years

Edited by marunic
  • Like 2

Axl just has a very powerful voice/vocal mechanism, it allows him to slide along many registers. He really is the man with a thousand voices which makes it very interesting to analyze.  What I like to do is listen to a singer's speaking voice, it can tell you a lot.  Axl's voice is very low when he speaks but it's not soft, it contains power without effort.  His voice has carry when he speaks(insert Aimee Mann reference).  

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

Axl just has a very powerful voice/vocal mechanism, it allows him to slide along many registers. He really is the man with a thousand voices which makes it very interesting to analyze.  What I like to do is listen to a singer's speaking voice, it can tell you a lot.  Axl's voice is very low when he speaks but it's not soft, it contains power without effort.  His voice has carry when he speaks(insert Aimee Mann reference).  

Hearing him speak in person, and in fairly close vicinity, I've been shocked by how powerful his voice is. 

I say baritone but I can see your argument for bass. 

Axl is powered by an incredible ability to not run short of breath when singing. He has incredible stamina that wasn’t taught or learned. He was born with it. As he’s gotten older it’s obviously not where it was but there’s a reason not many artist want to or can cover a gnr song. 

46 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Just a little correction on his range, his lowest note is actually an F1. 

this note i have a problem with because its use of fry, which should count as much as falsetto

this isn't his chest voice when you compare it to the C#2s, which sound powerful on their own and don't need to buried back

2 hours ago, Bansidhe said:

Probably a natural baritone.

Along the lines of Iggy Pop, Jim Morrison and the like.

Basically his "Seeker" voice. You can hear it on the Rapidfire recordings.

iggy and jim are indeed natural baritones

But axls natural voice is way heavier and he can go much lower than both of them

Edited by marunic

26 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I say baritone but I can see your argument for bass. 

Axl is powered by an incredible ability to not run short of breath when singing. He has incredible stamina that wasn’t taught or learned. He was born with it. As he’s gotten older it’s obviously not where it was but there’s a reason not many artist want to or can cover a gnr song. 

the problem with the baritone label is he enters his "mask" nasal rasp notes always around that E4ish area, your standard baritone is up to F4 in a full chest voice with ease which axl hasn't really hit in a pure natural voice, the better clip is him going as high as he can with it without it getting airy or soft.

His speaking voice is very low and deep.  I never heard him speak for years, being as how you didn't get a lot of Axl Rose interviews on terrestrial telly when I was a kid and you get used to a high sort of voice when he sings, it was actually shocking to hear him speak, it was very low and deep and blokey.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

His speaking voice is very low and deep.  I never heard him speak for years, being as how you didn't get a lot of Axl Rose interviews on terrestrial telly when I was a kid and you get used to a high sort of voice when he sings, it was actually shocking to hear him speak, it was very low and deep and blokey.

He spoke on Kimmel 2 years ago. Still deep, but a little higher I think and older compared to him speaking on the Kurt Loder interviews.

Edited by Tori72
  • Like 1