What’s the best Offspring song?

wasted

On 15/11/2018 at 11:44 AM, wasted said:

I never listened to them before. I feel like it’s Pretty Fly for a white guy?

I've been listening to Offspring since the 90s. Loved them and still do. Dexter Holland has a very cool voice.

The Meaning Of Life, Gone Away or Bad Habit are great songs I'd say.

Edited by Silent Jay

7 minutes ago, wasted said:

I found a song called Smash. Was Pretty fly on it? 

Did they sell 20 mil records?

It sold some dirty amount of records, multi platinum, Pretty Fly aint on it, that was on a later album, trust me though you wanna get on the album Smash, its kinda like commercial enough to have been a massive pop hit in 95 but still with a good bit of kick to it, Pretty Fly was at least 5 years or so later if my memory serves me correctly.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

It sold some dirty amount of records, multi platinum, Pretty Fly aint on it, that was on a later album, trust me though you wanna get on the album Smash, its kinda like commercial enough to have been a massive pop hit in 95 but still with a good bit of kick to it, Pretty Fly was at least 5 years or so later if my memory serves me correctly.

Smash sounds like Nirvana era but Pretty fly was much more pop sucky but still fun. 

Smash was 1994. I still remember the summer of '95 when I was rocking out to Gotta Get Away everytime it came on the radio. I was a cool kid. *cough*

I don't think they purposely ripped-off the Beatles with Why Don't You Get A Job?. It's bound to happen someone comes up with sorta the same melody when the melodies are so simple. Just like they said the chord structure in Self Esteem is a rip-off of Smells Like Teen Spirit and that one was supposed to be a rip-off of More Than A Feeling.

A lot these grunge type era punk bands like The Offspring and Green Day had like one or two good albums in em, Green Day pretty much shot their shot with Dookie, which i think was a brilliant album but there's not a lot more to em after that.  Offspring were signed to Epitaph if I'm not mistaken, Brett Guerwitz label, they're a great fuckin' label, really give artists freedom to do their thing.

13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Green Day pretty much shot their shot with Dookie

Insomniac was like a B-side record, cashing in on the Dookie sound but with less quality songs. But Nimrod is pretty solid, and I liked Warning as well. After that it turned to shit.

Edited by EvanG

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Insomniac was like a B-side record, cashing in on the Dookie sound but with less quality songs. But Nimrod is pretty solid, and I liked Warning as well. After that it turned to shit.

I liked a few songs off their early albums, i think Kerplunk has this song 2000 Light Years Away which I always liked.  Insomniac wasn’t too bad, didnt really listen after Insomniac, caught some of their political pop chart stuff after that.  One of their albums had a great title something like 2000 and something smoothed out slappy hours or something.

California punk was notoriously hardcore and violent skater and surfer type music, Green Day are sort of a let down in that regard.

Edited by Len Cnut

11 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I liked a few songs off their early albums, i think Kerplunk has this song 2000 Light Years Away which I always liked.  Insomniac wasn’t too bad, didnt really listen after Insomniac, caught some of their political pop chart stuff after that.  One of their albums had a great title something like 2000 and something smoothed out slappy hours or something.

Me too, Christie Road, One Of My Lies. They started becoming political with American Idiot after the Warning record and then I stopped listening to them. It became less punky and they started to recycle their own melodies too often. But Nimrod and Warning are worth a listen if you're into early/mid 90's Green Day, especially Nimrod, I guess. But I liked Warning too, they started incorporating some folk influences in some songs and it worked surprisingly well.

15 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Me too, Christie Road, One Of My Lies. They started becoming political with American Idiot after the Warning record and then I stopped listening to them. It became less punky and they started to recycle their own melodies too often. But Nimrod and Warning are worth a listen if you're into early/mid 90's Green Day, especially Nimrod, I guess. But I liked Warning too, they started incorporating some folk influences in some songs and it worked surprisingly well.

I'm pretty sure I heard Nimrod when it came out, I remember Good Riddance.  The political thing is weird, I'm not adverse to it as such its just bands rarely do it well.  And even the ones that do do it well and kinda become part of the iconography of politics in popular culture but the actual work itself and the attempt to reconcile a political ethos with records etc is ummm...I dunno, its shaky ground.  A lot of music is highly political or forges itself a position in pop culture politics without even trying to (or barely trying to), like The Stones did but these instances of sort of like...actively seeking it?  It remains unconvincing.  I love The Clash and i love John Lennon, both of whom were extremely successful but even in those instances there's only so far they can go with it until it starts to ring hollow I feel.  And Green Day kinda got into that shit late in the day at a time when they seemed kinda short on inspiration.

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm pretty sure I heard Nimrod when it came out, I remember Good Riddance.  The political thing is weird, I'm not adverse to it as such its just bands rarely do it well.  And even the ones that do do it well and kinda become part of the iconography of politics in popular culture but the actual work itself and the attempt to reconcile a political ethos with records etc is ummm...I dunno, its shaky ground.  A lot of music is highly political or forges itself a position in pop culture politics without even trying to (or barely trying to), like The Stones did but these instances of sort of like...actively seeking it?  It remains unconvincing.  I love The Clash and i love John Lennon, both of whom were extremely successful but even in those instances there's only so far they can go with it until it starts to ring hollow I feel.  And Green Day kinda got into that shit late in the day at a time when they seemed kinda short on inspiration.

Maybe it was hard for some people to take them seriously when they went political because only a few years earlier they were still writing songs about masturbating. I don't care if a song is political, if it's a good song, that's all that matters at the end of the day. But they lost their edge after 2000 and when you write mostly three chord songs and the vocal melodies always tend to sound alike, people will get bored sooner or later. That being said, they scored some of their biggest hits after the 2000s. 

I like Nimrod because it has a lot of different sounds, at least for a Green Day Record. Some pop shit, ska sounds, acoustic stuff, jazzy surf rock, and stuff like this: