Axl Political Social Media Post Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I think you're projecting. I don't think either the term "PC culture" itself or the meaning that is given to it today (mostly by conservatives) even existed then. Maybe conservatives of the time believed that the jacket "represented" them despite the specific stage context in which Axl wore it, but I don't think it was perceived as a "rebellion" by anyone.

There were consequences and a lot of backlash for OIAM then. Racist slurs were not acceptable back then either.

Axl has explained that the song Civil War was inspired by Erin's brother in law. The guy used sell weapons to the Midle East or something like it. I'm sure you can find the full quote ;)

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine with Axl posting his political views. I mean, I'm quite opinionated when it comes to politics and, on occasion, I share my views online, so I'm not about to tell anyone else that they can't d

Am i the only one more interested in that giant cow? 

I hate the word woke.

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Padme said:

Axl has explained that the song Civil War was inspired by Erin's brother in law. The guy used sell weapons to the Midle East or something like it. I'm sure you can find the full quote ;)

Yes, I remember the quote. Apparently this where Axl got the idea to write the song (although the lyrics are not about the guy).

28 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, I remember the quote. Apparently this where Axl got the idea to write the song (although the lyrics are not about the guy).

The song was not about one person. It was about all the people profiting with wars taking place anywhere in the world

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Swampfox said:

It's not just who is in office as he's obviously going after Trump.  He only attacks Republicans.  If he hit both sides with some criticism I'd be all for it but he went left and stayed there.  Looks more like a left wing agenda than just a concern for his country.  The left has plenty to criticize as does the right.

When the democrats are in power they get criticised. Right now it's a republican led government and it's their turn for the lashes... and regardless of your politics if you look at what's being said and done you have to agree the handling of this pandemic is terrible. Trump couldn't have handled it any worse! Held off closing down the country for weeks past the time he should have, reopened (against advice) far too early, refuses to promote mask wearing, puts out false information that his scientist advisors advise against "It's no worse than the flu".

I don't like either party, both are morally corrupt, vote independent! and don't get your news from Facebook, Fox (or any news tv show) or John Oliver! go to unbiased sources!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

You make it sound as if Axl didn't get shit back then. But he did get a lot of shit about all the things you mention (except for the confederate flag probably, because I guess most people understood it had to do with the presentation of the song).

Yeah, if he wore the jacket today during our more woke era, it would be a whole other story. When he wore that jacket, that flag was everywhere! bands like Pantera had it emblazoned on their guitars and merch... I'm sure all of them would walk it back now, and not use or promote it... even in the context of a song.

30 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

When the democrats are in power they get criticised. Right now it's a republican led government and it's their turn for the lashes... and regardless of your politics if you look at what's being said and done you have to agree the handling of this pandemic is terrible. Trump couldn't have handled it any worse! Held off closing down the country for weeks past the time he should have, reopened (against advice) far too early, refuses to promote mask wearing, puts out false information that his scientist advisors advise against "It's no worse than the flu".

I don't like either party, both are morally corrupt, vote independent! and don't get your news from Facebook, Fox (or any news tv show) or John Oliver! go to unbiased sources!

Governors shut down or reopen their states.  It's a state level decision.  The states with the most cases have been those run by Democratic leaders so maybe Axl could throw a few jabs their way once in a while?

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

Governors shut down or reopen their states.  It's a state level decision.  The states with the most cases have been those run by Democratic leaders so maybe Axl could throw a few jabs their way once in a while?

Uh? Arizona, Texas, Florida, Oklahoma and Georgia among others have Replublican Governors.  But politcs aside people should know better. You have to wear a mask. You have to try to keep social distance as much as you can. Nevermind what any given politician says. People must listen to what doctors  say

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Great post materock3 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DownUnderScott said:

Great post materock3 

Thanks! all this is just a nice distraction from the continuous Irish political shitshow🤣

38 minutes ago, Trin9498 said:

Remember when Axl actually wrote songs? That was awesome....

He writes songs and tweets... only differences is he releases his tweets. Great to have some version of the Axl rant back in our lives though!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Trin9498 said:

Remember when Axl actually wrote songs? That was awesome....

He wrote a whole bunch of songs. He might still be writing them. The problem is the songs never end up in an album nor in some streaming platform for people to listen. 

6 hours ago, Padme said:

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He was also the inspiration to Riad N' The Bedouins. 

IMO, both are pretty good metaphors about people and/or countries selling war and profiting from both sides. And with absolutely no regrets about it.

It's not that hard to figure out that the thing is the disregard about people's lives. I don't think the Confederate jacket got used because it was just a war symbol.

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I agree with most of what you said, besides the "unbiased sources". There's no such a thing. Who they chose to talk to, the order, the questions and even the choice of quotes are all biased. We're not robots, that should be expected.

There is, however, credible and fact-checked/sourced journalism. The best way is to keep that in mind, read/watch content from those media sources, and try to make it up on your own. 

So yeah, news TV are not the best, but there's a huge difference between Fox News (pretty much just PR) and the others. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I think you're projecting. I don't think either the term "PC culture" itself or the meaning that is given to it today (mostly by conservatives) even existed then. Maybe conservatives of the time believed that the jacket "represented" them despite the specific stage context in which Axl wore it, but I don't think it was perceived as a "rebellion" by anyone.

There were consequences and a lot of backlash for OIAM then. Racist slurs were not acceptable back then either.

But not for wearing the jacket back then. People didnt bat an eyelid about it. I think it was still acceptable to wear it back then. Culture nowdays i guess is just different.

What next, if tv in the US does any reruns of the dukes of hazzard they will have to censor the confederate flag off the General Lee?.

Edited by Sydney Fan
16 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

He was also the inspiration to Riad N' The Bedouins. 

IMO, both are pretty good metaphors about people and/or countries selling war and profiting from both sides. And with absolutely no regrets about it.

It's not that hard to figure out that the thing is the disregard about people's lives. I don't think the Confederate jacket got used because it was just a war symbol.

I agree with most of what you said, besides the "unbiased sources". There's no such a thing. Who they chose to talk to, the order, the questions and even the choice of quotes are all biased. We're not robots, that should be expected.

There is, however, credible and fact-checked/sourced journalism. The best way is to keep that in mind, read/watch content from those media sources, and try to make it up on your own. 

So yeah, news TV are not the best, but there's a huge difference between Fox News (pretty much just PR) and the others. 

Problem with the the big news channels is someone owns them, and that someone has a political leaning and they put their spin on things.

But I agree, I didn't really mean one source though more like a combination of sources giving factual information and critiquing what the main shows are doing and saying. I know a lot of the alt media has a slant towards left or right, but you can tune in your news to your liking, a bit here a bit there! OR just watch Alex Jones... I love my new water filter 😋🤣

19 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

But not for wearing the jacket back then. People didnt bat an eyelid about it. I think it was still acceptable to wear it back then. Culture nowdays i guess is just different.

What next, if tv in the US does any reruns of the dukes of hazzard they will have to censor the confederate flag off the General Lee?.

The Dukes of Hazard has already been banned from reruns because of the car.......so yeah they will have to blur it out to get back on tv.

12 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Problem with the the big news channels is someone owns them, and that someone has a political leaning and they put their spin on things.

But I agree, I didn't really mean one source though more like a combination of sources giving factual information and critiquing what the main shows are doing and saying. I know a lot of the alt media has a slant towards left or right, but you can tune in your news to your liking, a bit here a bit there! OR just watch Alex Jones... I love my new water filter 😋🤣

What I can tell from my personal experience is that investors and share holders don't have such a heavy influence on the hard news. They do have on the media editorial position. It's not the same thing, though.  

IMO, the best scenario (like tech sites owned by mobile operators such as Verizon) is when the news not only tell the story, but they make it clear if any affiliation should be disclaimed.

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

Yes, like I said, at that time the confederate flag was largely decontextualized, and it was trivialized, like in The Dukes of Hazzard, as an innocent symbol of "southern pride" and southern culture as well as a of a positive and appealing (to a portion of society) representation of "outlawism". At least that was how it was perceived internationally, but probably even in the U.S. many people didn't know about its association with the KKK and white supremacy. 

Having said that, I remember watching The Dukes as a kid and loving it. Being curious, I went to read who General Lee was (as expected, we weren't taught much of U.S. history in Greece) and, even though I didn't know anything else about the flag then, I did wonder, in my child mind, why Bo and Luke took pride of a general who fought for maintaining slavery.

If the summary of the contemporary criticism in the beginning of this article is accurate, at the time the show was criticized for everything else except the flag:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dukes-hazzard-stars-john-schneider-tom-wopat-respond-controversy-cars-confederate-flag-1302105

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, like I said, at that time the confederate flag was largely decontextualized, and it was trivialized, like in The Dukes of Hazzard, as an innocent symbol of "southern pride" and southern culture as well as a of a positive and appealing (to a portion of society) representation of "outlawism". At least that was how it was perceived internationally, but probably even in the U.S. many people didn't know about its association with the KKK and white supremacy. 

Having said that, I remember watching The Dukes as a kid and loving it. Being curious, I went to read who General Lee was (as expected, we weren't taught much of U.S. history in Greece) and, even though I didn't know anything else about the flag then, I did wonder, in my child mind, why Bo and Luke took pride of a general who fought for maintaining slavery.

If the summary of the contemporary criticism in the beginning of this article is accurate, at the time the show was criticized for everything else except the flag:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dukes-hazzard-stars-john-schneider-tom-wopat-respond-controversy-cars-confederate-flag-1302105

Thanks blackstar, good read. Here in oz the flag as was the car, was a token of rebelious and outlawism. The show was huge . No one thought twice about the history.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

For racist idiots reason equals left wing

Such a typical statement of a democrat.  If you don't agree with the left you're a racist.  I couldn't possibly agree with conservative views and not be a racist right?  

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

No, but probably it served as a metaphor for the contemporary wars and social conflicts.

It should also taken into consideration that at that time the confederate flag was trivialized internationally by/in popular culture like The Dukes of Hazzard. Maybe even kids in the US didn't know much about it and its historical context.

Trust me ... Almost everybody in America knows the historical (although maybe not fully) context of that flag ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

Such a typical statement of a democrat.  If you don't agree with the left you're a racist.  I couldn't possibly agree with conservative views and not be a racist right?  

The right agrees to disagree with people on the left. The Left thinks everyone who isn't them is evil.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Not just the flag, but now the name "General Lee" is a banned name ... 1984 !!!!