Jump to content

Axl Political Social Media Post Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

So that's what he's been composing instead of a new album! :lol:

He's right though, everyone should vote (regardless of favoured candidate). The ballot box is the only place ordinary people get to wield a bit of power. It's not always much individually but collectively it can be massive.

Whether it's massive in the way Axl hopes is another matter. Best of luck today to all our US forum members however you vote. I really hope it doesn't all turn into the violent shit show that many predict. :heart:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine with Axl posting his political views. I mean, I'm quite opinionated when it comes to politics and, on occasion, I share my views online, so I'm not about to tell anyone else that they can't d

Am i the only one more interested in that giant cow? 

I don't see anyone changing their minds after Axl's remarks on Trump here. So the problem is not about which side Axl takes (even though he already stated he's not taking sides or parties), but the fa

Posted Images

4 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

They are, no doubt. I am just tired of being told to vote, everywhere I look.

I'd rather them give us nothing  than Axl's political point of view.

I liked Axl better when he sang good and didn't share his politics.

Edit: Spelling correction.

As someone that does not live in the US I find it so odd, and it's been especially clear during this election, that encouraging people to vote is seen as a political statement and/or sharing ones political point of view... 

Shouldn't everyone, regardless of political standpoint, encourage each other to vote? There's more than one party to vote for so why would that be controversial in a democratic society? :shrugs:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

What on earth is weird about them?  I think they are really well crafted and cover all points succintly.

  A poll was done in the UK asking us if we would vote for Trump and nobody said yes, he is seen as a fraudulant fool in the rest of the world.

I think voting in a general election and writing music are two seperate issues.

You guys have your own fraudulent fool though, so 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

You guys have your own fraudulent fool though, so 

We sure do. Makes me sort of happy that people outside the UK recognise him for what he is, as well as those of us within the country who were never conned by him.

Our very own national disgrace and international embarasment. 

Keeping this a bit more on topic though.....are we assuming this statement is what the 'stay ready' comment was all about? Marvelous.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Axl can tweet whatever the fuck he wants and you shouldn’t have a problem with it. A tweet doesn’t take you more than 1 minute, surely lots of new music can be written in that period of time?

And also, why do I get the impression that what bothers you is the content of that particular tweet and Axl’s political view?

Would you be making this same comment if Axl was voting for Trump?


PS: his last tweet was almost three months ago, so wtf are you talking about?

Nope... I’m not a political person and don’t care about politics. I just think Axl is an asshole

6 hours ago, illusiononthewall said:

Honestly, me too (since I’m not American and I don’t give a shit about US elections). Axl hates his fans. 

Exactly my sentiment. I’m not American and don’t care

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why wont he just run for president himself? Kanye could be vice president. Team Brazil negotiate with Putin and China and Kim Kardashian takes care of employment and climate issues.

But seriously, Axl seems to really care about politics and at his age he got enough life experience and sure has seen a bit of the world by now. The only thing pissing me off about his tweets is they all shallow and surface and passive aggressive. The vote tweet was the most decent and thoughtful thing he posted in a long while, if not ever. Why dont he just speak up for real and do an interview or an essay discussing politics? It's not like he's very busy releasing new music now is he?

  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

FUCK BORIS FUCK TRUMP. Anyway back to GnR, I've never understood people who say 'Stick to music' Or 'Stick to sport' etc. Why? They get a vote just the same. When tony the taxi driver starts telling us his political opinion is he met with 'Stick to driving your taxi'? These people seem to think if you are in a profession that can be the only thing you're allowed to speak on. Which is odd when you consider a lot of music - blues, punk, rap only exist because of politics and the effect things have on society.

Sure, there's poison and motley crue for Songs about taking hot girls cherries, and there's calvin harris for the modern brain dead who like their lyrics meaningless and their beats repetitive. But If Axl is gonna have any heart and soul in a new album, it's going to be political. A 58 year old overweight millionaire singing about hot chicks and getting into fights isn't cool. If he's singing about something he cares about passionately, it's gonna be waaaay better than trying to recreate something he thought in the 80s. 

Couldn't agree more. 

Pretty much all acts of any note whatsoever have gone into politics at some point. It's something that people feel passionate about so inevitably is going to come up in music. Music history is built on politics. 

It's also weird how people are surprised about any political comment coming from Axl, after it's come up in his music so many times already. He even called an album 'Chinese Democracy'! 

I think though it basically boils down to people being very thin skinned- they like to have a very set in stone image of a celebrity they like. They don't want that image to change, so if a celeb makes comments about world events or events that bothers them as it may alter the image. That's especially true of the celebs politics don't align with theirs. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

In a few thousand years. 

Nope. People are already dying.

The climate crisis brings increased extreme weather events. And, yeah, people die in those already today! Forest fires, the same.

Food production is also already facing major issues. And this will be nothing compared to when the fresh water polar icecaps melt into the salt water ecosystems of the ocean. Say good by to seafood. The loss of seasfood means we need even more agriculture and we are already struggling with that.

We're also currently running out of one of the more common fertilizers for food crops - phosphorus.

And on the topic of the crops, the pollinator populations have already been decimated by the climate crisis. Colony Collapse Disorder, beginning around 2013, is a huge crisis facing global food production. Its caused by a commonly used pesticide. WE NEED POLLINATORS TO GROW FOOD.

People also already die from contaminated water and fish resulting from industrial exploits. See cancer rates in Grassy Narrows. Or that Coca Cola fiasco in India.

Like, I hope you are aware that 'the Earths lungs' - the Amozon -  is currently being burned down.

People also die from climate crisis violence already. Paulo Paulino Guajajara aka Lobo being just one example.

Also, read Blue Gold; Water World Wars by Maude Barlow and Tony Clarke

Edited by soon
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, soon said:

Nope. People are already dying.

The climate crisis brings increased extreme weather events. And, yeah, people die in those already today! Forest fires, the same.

Food production is also already facing major issues. And this will be nothing compared to when the fresh water polar icecaps melt into the salt water ecosystems of the ocean. Say good by to seafood. The loss of seasfood means we need even more agriculture and we are already struggling with that.

We're also currently running out of one of the more common fertilizers for food crops - phosphorus.

And on the topic of the crops, the pollinator populations have already been decimated by the climate crisis. Colony Collapse Disorder, beginning around 2013, is a huge crisis facing global food production. Its caused by a commonly used pesticide. WE NEED POLLINATORS TO GROW FOOD.

People also already die from contaminated water and fish resulting from industrial exploits. See cancer rates in Grassy Narrows. Or that Coca Cola fiasco in India.

Like, I hope you are aware that 'the Earths lungs' - the Amozon -  is currently being burned down.

People also die from climate crisis violence already. Paulo Paulino Guajajara aka Lobo being just one example.

Also, read Blue Gold; Water World Wars by Maude Barlow and Tony Clarke

Well, fuck!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Couldn't agree more. 

Pretty much all acts of any note whatsoever have gone into politics at some point. It's something that people feel passionate about so inevitably is going to come up in music. Music history is built on politics. 

It's also weird how people are surprised about any political comment coming from Axl, after it's come up in his music so many times already. He even called an album 'Chinese Democracy'! 

I think though it basically boils down to people being very thin skinned- they like to have a very set in stone image of a celebrity they like. They don't want that image to change, so if a celeb makes comments about world events or events that bothers them as it may alter the image. That's especially true of the celebs politics don't align with theirs. 

 

Yep, it is very thin skinned. Chinese democracy, civil war etc it's not a new thing. The strangest thing is when very right wing fans are surprised that progressive forward thinking and liberal celebrities don't agree with them. What did they expect! :lol:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

What I don't get is why get into an internet argument with someone you don't know ot probably won't ever meet that didn't agree with your political philosophy. 

Being a Republican or Democrat is more than just Trump/Biden.....

Still at the end of the day us in the good ol USA are all Americans... and should treat each other with respect.   No matter what political affiliation, beliefs,  color of skin,  religion, etc.

We should all bleed Red, White and Blue. 

Which, btw, a unified America bodes well for the rest of the world.   

Hopefully after the results of this election, no matter the outcome, we can begin to come back together.   Although, I sincerely doubt it. 😔😔😔

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rjuncajun said:

What I don't get is why get into an internet argument with someone you don't know ot probably won't ever meet that didn't agree with your political philosophy. 

Being a Republican or Democrat is more than just Trump/Biden.....

Still at the end of the day us in the good ol USA are all Americans... and should treat each other with respect.   No matter what political affiliation, beliefs,  color of skin,  religion, etc.

We should all bleed Red, White and Blue. 

Which, btw, a unified America bodes well for the rest of the world.   

Hopefully after the results of this election, no matter the outcome, we can begin to come back together.   Although, I sincerely doubt it. 😔😔😔

Good post, totally agree. America is a great country in so so many ways. I hope you all can move forwards in a stable and unified way. As you say, the world needs that, totally. 

I'm pulling an all nighter over here to watch the coverage live, sad person that I am! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, allwaystired said:

We sure do. Makes me sort of happy that people outside the UK recognise him for what he is, as well as those of us within the country who were never conned by him.

Our very own national disgrace and international embarasment. 

Keeping this a bit more on topic though.....are we assuming this statement is what the 'stay ready' comment was all about? Marvelous.

Stay ready?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...