Axl Political Social Media Post Discussion Thread

She is a senator from Rhode Island.

Here is an article about what he is referring to:

Restaurant responds to backlash about anti-Trump shirts

The Associated Press

November 28, 2018 05:18 AM

WESTERLY, R.I.

A Mexican restaurant in Rhode Island is getting backlash for its sale of T-shirts that it says advocated impeaching President Donald Trump.

Wendy Carr, owner of Amigos in Westerly, says the business sold shirts with the logo, "86 45," printed on the back to raise money for political candidates. The Westerly Sun , which first reported the story, says restaurant staff wore the shirts on Election Day.

Carr says "86" means to get rid of or replace an order in restaurant lingo. Republican state Sen. Elaine Morgan, a critic of the shirts, says she believes the shirts are calling for violence against Trump, the 45th president.

Carr says the shirts don't advocate harm and the restaurant has received threats from around the country. She says the shirts won't be sold or worn anymore.

Edited by BlueJean Baby
  • Thanks 2

I’m actually from Westerly... the fact this is national news is mind boggling and embarrassing.  The republican senator is an idiot for responding.. or even caring what the restaurants views are.  I don’t agree with impeaching the president.  I think it’s a stupid position.. but I also couldn’t care less that Amigos sold those shirts. Anyone offended by a tee shirt must have mental problems.  It’s usually the liberals who have so much faux outrage.  I won’t vote for Elian Morgan again 

The only thing I care about more than an artist's political views is literally everything else in the world.

As long as he doesn't turn into Dave Mustaine and make the new album is about Trump, it's all good.  I would hope we can all agree that if there is new GnR and the songs are all about Russian collusion, it would suck mega-ass.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

The only thing I care about more than an artist's political views is literally everything else in the world.

As long as he doesn't turn into Dave Mustaine and make the new album is about Trump, it's all good.  I would hope we can all agree that if there is new GnR and the songs are all about Russian collusion, it would suck mega-ass.

I dunno. What everyone praises about AFD is that it (supposedly) was written about 'the reality that the band was living and what they saw in the world.' I could go for some of that AFD mojo, personally. And just as the world they sang about there is a reflection of Reagan/Thatcher era but they don't necessarily speak directly to those figures, Axl wouldn't likely all of a sudden change course and speak in specific terms.

But I think people know, deep down inside, that if there's a new Guns album, and if Axl writes new lyrics (as opposed to using CD era stuff - which is also deeply political) that he will once again be writing about the reality hes living and what he sees in the world.

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I think if Axl writes new lyrics and songs you can sure as hell bet it will be very topical.  And it should be.

We shouldn't ignore the bs going on right now, axl shouldn't and I'm proud he speaks up about it.  

While the BS going on now I'd pretty much the same as with every president (all that changes is which side is outraged) and I don't respect celebrity opinions on politics, if hating Trump for whatever reason motivates Axl to write, record and release new music then I'm all for it!

2 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

While the BS going on now I'd pretty much the same as with every president (all that changes is which side is outraged) and I don't respect celebrity opinions on politics, if hating Trump for whatever reason motivates Axl to write, record and release new music then I'm all for it!

The last thing i want from Guns N' Roses is political music. This country is divided enough. No sense in dividing Guns fans too. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

One In A Million - Very controversial but definitely in the mix of my all time favorite Guns tracks.. The song has meant different things to me over the years. The lyrics are very powerful all around and the music is stands right with it.  The chemistry between Izzy and Slash on this song is just incredible. On the whole album really. In my opinion there was no greater guitar chemistry in rock than what you hear on Appetite and LIES.  It is a shame that the formula started to change on the Illusions records..

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

The last thing i want from Guns N' Roses is political music. This country is divided enough. No sense in dividing Guns fans too. 

How does the first quote, where you say that OIAM is "in the mix of my all time favorite Guns tracks" fit with second quote where you say that "the last thing you want from Guns N' Roses is political music? OIAM, it goes with out saying, is very political.

18 minutes ago, soon said:

How does the first quote, where you say that OIAM is "in the mix of my all time favorite Guns tracks" fit with second quote where you say that "the last thing you want from Guns N' Roses is political music? OIAM, it goes with out saying, is very political.

I wouldn't really call One in a Million a political song. It is a personal story of Axl moving to LA.  It definitely touches on social issues but I wouldn't call it a political track referencing the political system or government.  Even if the lyrics were changed it would be remain one of my favorites.  The guitars are my favorite part of the song.. The melancholy feel of the intro and outro. I do like the fact that Axl had the balls to say some of the the thing she said in the song. I don't think writing a song bashing Trump really takes much balls. It is a pretty easy target and accepted subject. 

My favorite lyrics in the song are actually 

"Well some say I'm lazy
And others say that's just me
Some say I'm crazy
I guess I'll always be
But it's been such a long time
Since I knew right from wrong
It's all the means to and end I'm 
I keep it moving along"

My main point is that I like to listen to Guns N' Roses to escape all the political bullshit that is blasted all over TV and social media 24 x 7 these days. They were never an overly political band and it would be a shame if they became one now.  Leave that shit to Roger Waters and Neil Young. 

And yes I realize Civil War is political and is a great song. But that is very very rare for Guns and that is kind of what made it so special. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 6:30 PM, 31illusions said:

Kinda' like those who support AXL/GNR when he sung about Immigrants and F@gg0ts eh? They bought their tickets to the show and merchandise.

Nothing Axl posts will ever erase One In a Million, or his misogynistic lyrics. He really is a Hypocrite. Condemning those who may have said the same things he did.

You're being dense and showing your ass talking about a song from 30 years ago that the band doesn't perform live. You're making the argument that one can never atone or change their opinion on anything lest they be deemed a hypocrite. How old was Axl then and how old is he now? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I wouldn't really call One in a Million a political song. It is a personal story of Axl moving to LA.  It definitely touches on social issues but I wouldn't call it a political track referencing the political system or government.  Even if the lyrics were changed it would be remain one of my favorites.  The guitars are my favorite part of the song.. The melancholy feel of the intro and outro. I do like the fact that Axl had the balls to say some of the the thing she said in the song. I don't think writing a song bashing Trump really takes much balls. It is a pretty easy target and accepted subject. 

My favorite lyrics in the song are actually 

"Well some say I'm lazy
And others say that's just me
Some say I'm crazy
I guess I'll always be
But it's been such a long time
Since I knew right from wrong
It's all the means to and end I'm 
I keep it moving along"

My main point is that I like to listen to Guns N' Roses to escape all the political bullshit that is blasted all over TV and social media 24 x 7 these days. They were never an overly political band and it would be a shame if they became one now.  Leave that shit to Roger Waters and Neil Young. 

And yes I realize Civil War is political and is a great song. But that is very very rare for Guns and that is kind of what made it so special. 

Its true that its lyrics touch on a number of socio-political themes. But I gotta say "Immigrants and fa99ots, they make no sense to me/ They come to our Country and think they'll do as they please" is not only overtly political and referencing the system, but is representative of the beliefs held among Trumps base. I'm not anticipating Axl name dropping Trump, just like he didnt reference the previous Prez about immigration issues. But I do expect him to keep true to his approach about singing about his world view and observations.

Youd said in earlier post that you fear that a political album would divide the fan base. So that cant be paired with saying it doesnt take balls to criticize Trump? If it could divide the fan base, it would take balls. But, I disagree with that assessment because we already see one side 'accepting' OIAM as regrettable and another side angrily reading his tweets and seeing the pinata. Everyone is still here. Which I think is super cool!

If he were to write a song about being open to new comers, affirming queerness and healing racial divides and that pisses people off, in the face of OIAM existence, I would have a lot of trouble taking seriously any accusations of "becoming political" or "causing division."

I see political commentary in AFD, Lies, UYI2 and CD. The talking part at end of Breakdown expresses a libertarian perspective which one presumes is echoed in the unreleased "Atlas Shrugged" (a libertarian themed novel by a libertarian author). I just say that to mean, like, Axl is smooth and not very on the nose with much of his lyrics. He gets a lot expressed with out being preachy about it. I really dont see him doing a song about Trump directly - that would almost be like a novelty song - but I do think Axl will continue to express his political worldview. Just that the next time he will express an opposite world view from what he expressed in OIAM.

I've never really understood the idea that celebrities shouldn't express political opinions -- so many express their political opinions in all sorts of different forums because they have a strong belief and they want to share it. Sure, you don't always agree, but I don't get knocking them for sharing. Half of my Facebook feed is political opinions of people who 'aren't politicians' but still use every opportunity they can to blast their opinions. 

Besides music and politics have gone hand in hand for decades. 

And in this instance, you have someone who is notoriously private. And these tweets are perhaps the most insight we have had into the man personally in years. The level of political awareness coupled with humor create an interesting picture of who Axl Rose may actually be. And it is intriguing. 

Nothing he says will eliminate the fact that OIAM exists, or that he defended it, but it may, perhaps, illustrate that people can grow and change. That flip flopping on opinions is not a bad thing. And really, what more can you ask, than that people learn and try to do better next time.

• Like 2