Axl Political Social Media Post Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, complicityiii said:

I've never really understood the idea that celebrities shouldn't express political opinions -- so many express their political opinions in all sorts of different forums because they have a strong belief and they want to share it. Sure, you don't always agree, but I don't get knocking them for sharing. Half of my Facebook feed is political opinions of people who 'aren't politicians' but still use every opportunity they can to blast their opinions. 

Exactly.  Music is an outlet.  An artform.  To tell an artist to not express himself is silly.  Music has always been very political.  And axl has as much right as anyone else in the country to express his opinions.

There are lots or political GnR songs or moments, and to think Axl would be writing songs like Back off Bitch or It's So Easy in his 50s is also silly.

He will write about what motivated him, and if that is politics that is what it is.  Whether I agree or not with someone I would never ask them to hide their opinions.  We are all entitled to express them.

Like I said earlier I'm proud of Axl.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

The last thing i want from Guns N' Roses is political music. This country is divided enough. No sense in dividing Guns fans too. 

Agree but if he can lyrically do it in a subtle, artistic way instead of Green Day "American Idiot" type lyrics it might be OK.  Almost everybody likes "Imagine" even though the lyrics are basically the Communist Manifesto.

17 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I wouldn't really call One in a Million a political song. It is a personal story of Axl moving to LA.  It definitely touches on social issues but I wouldn't call it a political track referencing the political system or government.  Even if the lyrics were changed it would be remain one of my favorites.  The guitars are my favorite part of the song.. The melancholy feel of the intro and outro. I do like the fact that Axl had the balls to say some of the the thing she said in the song. I don't think writing a song bashing Trump really takes much balls. It is a pretty easy target and accepted subject. 

My favorite lyrics in the song are actually 

"Well some say I'm lazy
And others say that's just me
Some say I'm crazy
I guess I'll always be
But it's been such a long time
Since I knew right from wrong
It's all the means to and end I'm 
I keep it moving along"

My main point is that I like to listen to Guns N' Roses to escape all the political bullshit that is blasted all over TV and social media 24 x 7 these days. They were never an overly political band and it would be a shame if they became one now.  Leave that shit to Roger Waters and Neil Young. 

And yes I realize Civil War is political and is a great song. But that is very very rare for Guns and that is kind of what made it so special. 

That’s a good point, GNR songs aren’t about politics, it’s more Axl’s response to something that might be political, lyrically it could touch on more than that. It’s a journey. Rocket Queen could be trying to get somewhere. The songs more of an emotional snap shot than some agenda driven thing, doesn’t seem like a manifesto. 

I sort of see a Trump rant song like Right Next Door to Hell or Riad. And definitely something like OIAM, Cilvil war, Madagascar.

Suckertain blues meets Riad seems like a good title track. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

Both Trump and Axl are mysoginist millionaire whiny babies clueless and selfish. None of what they say matters because dinosaurs are meant to disappear soon.

Do you think that the posts of an anonymous fan are more important than some words from Axl? 

Edited by Sosso

28 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Do you think that the posts of an anonymous fan are more important than some words from Axl? 

I dont think my posts are "important" but Axl and celebrities are not more important than people who are not famous.

They are humans like all of us, they pee and shit like all of us and when the time comes for them, they will rot and become dust like the rest of us.

Worshipping the floor these people put their feet on is really lame and trying to put down people for not being celebrities is even lamer.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I dont think my posts are "important" but Axl and celebrities are not more important than people who are not famous.

They are humans like all of us, they pee and shit like all of us and when the time comes for them, they will rot and become dust like the rest of us.

Worshipping the floor these people put their feet on is really lame and trying to put down people for not being celebrities is even lamer.

You have over 9000 posts on a forum dedicated to celebs, is it out of the realm to assume you are drawn to them in some way over some other human?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, gunsguy said:

You have over 9000 posts on a forum dedicated to celebs, is it out of the realm to assume you are drawn to them in some way over some other human?

Aren't we all drawn to some people more than to others? :question:

What kind of contradiction are you trying to highlight here? 

Your job as moderator leaves a lot to be desired and its quite the contradiction to try to shame me for my number of posts. You are supposed to conciliate heated opinions and encourage forum participation, instead you come and attack me for something that it doesn't even make sense, since my post count has no relation whatsoever with being drawn to celebrities or the topic that is being discussed.

Being a fan or liking a band/artist does not mean I display total approval or agreement with what they do, say, sing, etc.

Edited by killuridols

43 minutes ago, Sosso said:

You can spend some time with PHT in the vault.

Spending time in the vault can only be beneficial!! I'd get to listen to the CD 2 and CD3 and make you all sooooo jealous :lol:

38 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I wanted to make a joke regarding women in cages, but I better not because you scare me!

You are scared of your own shadow :P

Go ahead and make all the jokes you want. The feedback won't be on me, though.

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Aren't we all drawn to some people more than to others? :question:

What kind of contradiction are you trying to highlight here? 

Your job as moderator leaves a lot to be desired and its quite the contradiction to try to shame me for my number of posts. You are supposed to conciliate heated opinions and encourage forum participation, instead you come and attack me for something that it doesn't even make sense, since my post count has no relation whatsoever with being drawn to celebrities or the topic that is being discussed.

Being a fan or liking a band/artist does not mean I display total approval or agreement with what they do, say, sing, etc.

My post was more of the mind that while you disagree with how some folks worship a band or member we all have our reasons for being here.  In no way am I shaming you for posting I was simply replying to the fact that something is drawing us all here and it isn't because the band are normal folks, normal folks don't have discussion forums surrounding them.  Yes they are human but we do somehow hold them up higher than the average Joe

For the record, I think Axl shouldn't jump into political bullshit on Twitter for many reasons

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gunsguy said:

My post was more of the mind that while you disagree with how some folks worship a band or member we all have our reasons for being here.  In no way am I shaming you for posting I was simply replying to the fact that something is drawing us all here and it isn't because the band are normal folks, normal folks don't have discussion forums surrounding them.  Yes they are human but we do somehow hold them up higher than the average Joe

For the record, I think Axl shouldn't jump into political bullshit on Twitter for many reasons

I think the discussion started because some guys argued who's opinion was more "important"... Axl's or Trump's... and I responded, IMO, neither opinion is more important because they are human beings after all, regardless of their temporary position in power, there will always come that moment when we are all equal: our death.

That's it. Not sure what post count, forum or celebrity status have to do about it, other than the privilege of being able to share their opinions with a bigger platform than the average Joe, as you say. Personally, I don't hold any of these people in high regards, except for their obvious musical talent.

On 1-12-2018 at 7:44 PM, Oldest Goat said:

@EvanG I dare you to make a joke about women in cages you misogynist! :lol:

Well, I wanted to reply to what she said by saying that women belong in either a cage or the kitchen anyway, but I figured it was too obvious and unfunny anyway, plus people are so sensitive nowadays. The other day someone already called me xenophobic on here because I made some silly jokes about another country, believe it or not.