Do you know the band "Omnia," a "neoceltic pagan folk" band?

Axwan

I'm in the market for a concert flute and I looked for "rock flute" videos on Youtube. I came across this band and I love the way they sound. I love the sound of Celtic music. Are they really pagan? I love how they use various instruments that I haven't seen before. Do you guys play any unique instruments like those? I'm now listening to all their vids on Youtube and I'm thinking it will be great if GNR can make like a "Celtic sounding music" with a bit of rock. That will be really cool. I hope they have a new album coming but I know they may be tired of touring at the moment.

I've never heard that band before. They're fun. The most unique instrument I play(ed) is the mandolin. I played Celtic music. Attended lots of workshops at the festivals and guilds but never got very good. At the pub jams they'd always keep ordering me pints just so I couldn't join in on 3rd mandolin :lol: I also played in a rock band with a flutist/sax player. They played concert flute as well as an Inuit flute.

Canada has a lot of really great Celtic Rock bands. This one first because it has flute:

This has Bodhran (drums), squeeze box, mandolin (electric mandolin):

This band, translated to English "The Smiling Boots" are incredible. Anyone should always see them at any chance they get! They usually are called "Quebecois Heritage Music" which is misleading as the Quebecois are a member of the Celtic Family. Solo melodic fiddle music is the most popular Quebecois contribution to Celtic music. This band uses so many instruments, including those boots! They have a very modern take on the music. I'm sure some of their tracks have flute if you look.

Check out this amazing Celtic rock, from the far North of all places! Fiddle, squeeze box and Throat Singing:

And this straight forward rock song with fiddle, string section, upright bass, concert flute, traditional Native flute and hand drums ("drums" in English as there are drums women play and drums men play so that is how its distinguished. Made of deer of moose hide). Unfortunately this hispter band decided to dress up as "cowboys" for this special performance when they were joined by Indigenous peeps. A step up as when they instructed their audience to attend their shows dressed up as the band - including giving out printed masks of their own faces :facepalm: But I digress, a great piece of traditional flute in modern rock music:

Omina reminded me most of Loreena Mckennitt. She does Celtic-World Music fusion. So many instruments here including flute (very low in mix), fiddle, Cello, squeeze box, bouzouki (I think?), hurdy-gurdy is portrayed in video, not sure if its in the mix, tin whistle, Tablas and other drums I dont know the names of:

Mummering is a Nova Scotia tradition (with in the Celtic community primarily) where one night a year during Christmas time the workers dress up in disguises, becoming Mummers, and go as a group to all the bosses and wealthy peoples homes where they are entertained with live music and dance, food and drink provided by 'hosts' and all sorts of rabble rousing. The game is that once the boss figures out who you are you have to take your mask off and you can no longer eat or drink their food. Eventually that leads to the mummers going onto the next bosses home to do it all again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

I've never heard that band before. They're fun. The most unique instrument I play(ed) is the mandolin. I played Celtic music. Attended lots of workshops at the festivals and guilds but never got very good. At the pub jams they'd always keep ordering me pints just so I couldn't join in on 3rd mandolin :lol: I also played in a rock band with a flutist/sax player. They played concert flute as well as an Inuit flute.

Canada has a lot of really great Celtic Rock bands. This one first because it has flute:

This has Bodhran (drums), squeeze box, mandolin (electric mandolin):

This band, translated to English "The Smiling Boots" are incredible. Anyone should always see them at any chance they get! They usually are called "Quebecois Heritage Music" which is misleading as the Quebecois are a member of the Celtic Family. Solo melodic fiddle music is the most popular Quebecois contribution to Celtic music. This band uses so many instruments, including those boots! They have a very modern take on the music. I'm sure some of their tracks have flute if you look.

Check out this amazing Celtic rock, from the far North of all places! Fiddle, squeeze box and Throat Singing:

And this straight forward rock song with fiddle, string section, upright bass, concert flute, traditional Native flute and hand drums ("drums" in English as there are drums women play and drums men play so that is how its distinguished. Made of deer of moose hide). Unfortunately this hispter band decided to dress up as "cowboys" for this special performance when they were joined by Indigenous peeps. A step up as when they instructed their audience to attend their shows dressed up as the band - including giving out printed masks of their own faces :facepalm: But I digress, a great piece of traditional flute in modern rock music:

Omina reminded me most of Loreena Mckennitt. She does Celtic-World Music fusion. So many instruments here including flute (very low in mix), fiddle, Cello, squeeze box, bouzouki (I think?), hurdy-gurdy is portrayed in video, not sure if its in the mix, tin whistle, Tablas and other drums I dont know the names of:

Mummering is a Nova Scotia tradition (with in the Celtic community primarily) where one night a year during Christmas time the workers dress up in disguises, becoming Mummers, and go as a group to all the bosses and wealthy peoples homes where they are entertained with live music and dance, food and drink provided by 'hosts' and all sorts of rabble rousing. The game is that once the boss figures out who you are you have to take your mask off and you can no longer eat or drink their food. Eventually that leads to the mummers going onto the next bosses home to do it all again.

Wow! Thank you so much for this. I can't wait to watch them all in my free time.

• Like 1