Is Axl possibly referencing a line of Thin Lizzy's "Killer on the Loose" on "Shadow of Your Love"?

ludurigan

Brandon: I was lucky enough to get ahold of some imports of yours from England. And on the B-sides, one of the songs was called Shadow of your Love. 

Axl: Yeah!

Brandon: Yeah, I was wondering if there are any plans to release something like that here in the U.S.

Axl: Um, not at this time. You know, Shadow of your Love was… I wrote the lyrics kinda influenced by Thin Lizzy. And that was one of the songs that I wrote with Paul Huge, he was original guitarist from Indiana with Izzy and I, and now he’s in a band called Mank Rage. And we just wrote that, like, in 7 minutes, you know, we did it in 7 minutes years ago, and it is something we're really proud of. I’ts my friend Josh’s favorite song. 

Bob Coburn: And that’s unusual for you. You usually ponder the songs a little bit, don’t you?

Axl: Well, I’d pondered the words years before that, and then when the song hit it was just like “fssst!” It went through the (? ) mental road.  (?) "Bitch, bitch, go!". We had 7 minutes to jam, we didn’t have any equipment so it was like we didn’t have a choice.

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3048-1991-11-27-radio-interview-with-axl-rockline

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Brandon: I was lucky enough to get ahold of some imports of yours from England. And on the B-sides, one of the songs was called Shadow of your Love. 

Axl: Yeah!

Brandon: Yeah, I was wondering if there are any plans to release something like that here in the U.S.

Axl: Um, not at this time. You know, Shadow of your Love was… I wrote the lyrics kinda influenced by Thin Lizzy. And that was one of the songs that I wrote with Paul Huge, he was original guitarist from Indiana with Izzy and I, and now he’s in a band called Mank Rage. And we just wrote that, like, in 7 minutes, you know, we did it in 7 minutes years ago, and it is something we're really proud of. I’ts my friend Josh’s favorite song. 

Bob Coburn: And that’s unusual for you. You usually ponder the songs a little bit, don’t you?

Axl: Well, I’d pondered the words years before that, and then when the song hit it was just like “fssst!” It went through the (? ) mental road.  (?) "Bitch, bitch, go!". We had 7 minutes to jam, we didn’t have any equipment so it was like we didn’t have a choice.

http://www.a-4-d.com/t3048-1991-11-27-radio-interview-with-axl-rockline

wow  @Blackstarthanks for posting that!

i would absolutely LOVE to listen to GNR (the five guys) play ANYTHING by thin lizzy

i have a feeling that they might have done that during the time they were together 1985-1990

i also have a feeling that the reason GNR never did a proper Lizzy cover during that time is likely because axl was not happy with his vocals

same as he was not happy about his vocals on Tie Your Mother Down despite having nailed it in 1992

back to lizzy, I hope GNR has jammed many lizzy songs 1985-1990, i hope someone recorded it, i hope someone kept the recordings and i hope it surfaces some fucking day!

:headbang:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, soon said:

Keeping on the same theme; is "Killer On The Loose" a reference to The Doors lyric in Riders On The Storm?

i don't know the Doors song very well but I have read a bit about Killer on the Loose and if my memory serves me well it was about a rapist that attacked women in the 70s and Phil wrote about it.

There was a reaction against the song -- if my memory is correct Phil/Lizzy were accused of promoting rape or something like that

Wikipedia has a bit about it

Controversy

The song, in which Lynott took the persona of Jack the Ripper, received much controversy. The single was released amidst the Yorkshire Ripper murders and many members of the British public, largely women, were outraged by the songs lyrics and its references to the Ripper.[3] A music video, in which Lynott is dressed in a Ripper style trench coat surrounded by scantily clad women, generated even more controversy when it was released in 1980.

Edited by ludurigan

4 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

i don't know the Doors song very well but I have read a bit about Killer on the Loose and if my memory serves me well it was about a rapist that attacked women in the 70s and Phil wrote about it.

There was a reaction against the song -- if my memory is correct Phil/Lizzy were accused of promoting rape or something like that

Wikipedia has a bit about it

Controversy

The song, in which Lynott took the persona of Jack the Ripper, received much controversy. The single was released amidst the Yorkshire Ripper murders and many members of the British public, largely women, were outraged by the songs lyrics and its references to the Ripper.[3] A music video, in which Lynott is dressed in a Ripper style trench coat surrounded by scantily clad women, generated even more controversy when it was released in 1980.

Oh, thanks. Well that makes it less fun to have a connection to Guns! Interesting though, thanks for sharing!

The Doors lyric in Riders is the same as the Lizzy song title Morrison sings "Theres a killer on the loose"

2 hours ago, soon said:

Oh, thanks. Well that makes it less fun to have a connection to Guns! Interesting though, thanks for sharing!

The Doors lyric in Riders is the same as the Lizzy song title Morrison sings "Theres a killer on the loose"

The lyric in Riders is "there's a killer on the road, his brain is squirming like a toad".  I never thought that was one of Morrison's greatest rhyming schemes.😄  

Edited by lame ass security

13 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

The lyric in Riders is "there's a killer on the road, his brain is squirming like a toad".  I never thought that was one of Morrison's greatest rhyming schemes.😄  

Oh right, thanks for correction.

I agree, not one of his best :lol: