Arcade Cabinet / Retro Discussion

RussTCB

I was at CES last week and made it a point to get by the Arcade1Up booth. I meant to post these pics earlier this week but forgot. Here's some of the stuff I saw.

Overalll booth:
24wx1ms.jpg

GoldenTee cabinet. I will absolutely be buying this:
11qpe6u.jpg

Tabletop machines forthcoming:
16geb9h.jpg

Wall mounted cabinets coming, another great idea:
103a3ih.jpg

MKI, MKII & UMK3 machines. This is the reason I wanted to see their booth:
if4gtl.jpg

Close up of table top cabinet:
1zbbf4y.jpg

Cocktail cabinets coming, another awesome idea:
2ih9miv.jpg

Game specific risers coming:
9ggf9h.jpg

A couple more MKII shots (again, this is the reason I went to their booth):
2en5l6v.jpg
b47tky.jpg

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

If only I had a much bigger house and a Wife who doesn't buy as much shit so that I actually had some room for myself 

:lol:I'm blessed with juuuuuust enough room for these in my music area and a wife who doesn't buy too much shit. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

How much did it cost you, particularly the raspberry pi with all those games? What platforms are the games from?

Really cool and nice basement too.

Thanks. The Raspberry Pi was cheap. Like $40ish. For this particular deal, I only used an image with arcade games on it. There's 2200+ games on it, but they're all arcade. However, there are Pi images out there with seemingly every console and game ever. 

Looks great Russ. I actually saw this on the FB arcade 1up page, before seeing it here. So you went with only arcade games? That surprises me considering how different the Genesis Moonwalker is compared to the arcade version. It's 2 completely different games. Both good though. 

Congrats though, enjoy.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 3:38 PM, Iron MikeyJ said:

Looks great Russ. I actually saw this on the FB arcade 1up page, before seeing it here. So you went with only arcade games? That surprises me considering how different the Genesis Moonwalker is compared to the arcade version. It's 2 completely different games. Both good though. 

Congrats though, enjoy.

Yeah, I played the Genesis game a ton when I was a kid so I wanted to dig into the arcade version first.

I'd been using the Wolfanoz 32gb Arcade Only image so far and it's been a lot of fun. I'm gone for work this week so I set this one to torrent while I'm gone:

It'll be done by the time I get home, so I'm going to install it on Saturday. Then I can mess with a ton of console games!

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

@RussTCB did you buy your cab ready built or did you build it yourself? I'm looking to build a bar top cab as I don't have room for a full size and don't know whether to get it ready built, self assembly or what.

I bought the Street Fighter II version of this: https://arcade1up.com/ then I modded it from there. 

@RussTCB I've been watching the video, and I have a few thoughts, lol. Is THIS what you now have? If so, have you tried any of the openbor games yet? They are REALLY cool. I just got into those recently. Some of my favorites are Dounle Dragon reloaded alternative (you play Double Dragon with Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Macho Man) it's really fun. Dungeons and Dragons Rise of Warduke I HIGHLY recommend, its straight up awesome. Final Fight Supet Gold (you play final fight with street fighter characters). Overall Openbors are really cool, a little buggy at times, but cool. 

One piece of advice though, there is such a thing as TOO MANY games. If you give people too many choices, they spend their time just searching instead of playing. Plus there are so many BAD games, why have those on you machine taking up space? I have around 1500 games and it feels like too much at times. Some of which will probably NEVER get played. My main arcade section has around 400 games in it, and it takes a few minutes just to scroll through it. In the video he said 9000, I cant imagine trying to scroll through that. Before Arcade 1up reignited the scene, the only place to go for information was buildyourownarcadecontrols forum. I've been on that site for a few years now, and the guys on there preach less is more with your machine. 

On a side note, I got into all of this before these massive files were available. So I've downloaded all of my roms individually over the years. Advantages and disadvantages to both ways I would say. If I was starting today though, I would absolutely look for something like is in the video, although I would end up deleting 75% of it later. 

55 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

@RussTCB I've been watching the video, and I have a few thoughts, lol. Is THIS what you now have? If so, have you tried any of the openbor games yet? They are REALLY cool. I just got into those recently. Some of my favorites are Dounle Dragon reloaded alternative (you play Double Dragon with Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Macho Man) it's really fun. Dungeons and Dragons Rise of Warduke I HIGHLY recommend, its straight up awesome. Final Fight Supet Gold (you play final fight with street fighter characters). Overall Openbors are really cool, a little buggy at times, but cool. 

One piece of advice though, there is such a thing as TOO MANY games. If you give people too many choices, they spend their time just searching instead of playing. Plus there are so many BAD games, why have those on you machine taking up space? I have around 1500 games and it feels like too much at times. Some of which will probably NEVER get played. My main arcade section has around 400 games in it, and it takes a few minutes just to scroll through it. In the video he said 9000, I cant imagine trying to scroll through that. Before Arcade 1up reignited the scene, the only place to go for information was buildyourownarcadecontrols forum. I've been on that site for a few years now, and the guys on there preach less is more with your machine. 

On a side note, I got into all of this before these massive files were available. So I've downloaded all of my roms individually over the years. Advantages and disadvantages to both ways I would say. If I was starting today though, I would absolutely look for something like is in the video, although I would end up deleting 75% of it later. 

I downloaded an image that has openbor games and I'm going to try them this weekend. 

I totally agree with what you're saying about too many games. I plan to start deleting a bunch soon so I'm not searching all of the time like you said. 

Do you know what openbor games are? They are fan created games. A program was created using the Streets of Rage template, so basically they are all beat em ups. They are basically more modern versions of the beat em up genre, with characters that would NEVER be made into an actual game. So that makes them interesting, like Hulk Hogan in a double dragon game. 

I dont know which ones are on the image you downloaded, but here are the ones I HIGHLY recommend.

Even if you dont have these games, I HIGHLY recommend you download them and put them on your machine. You wont regret it.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2019 at 8:32 PM, RussTCB said:

Yeah, I played the Genesis game a ton when I was a kid so I wanted to dig into the arcade version first.

I'd been using the Wolfanoz 32gb Arcade Only image so far and it's been a lot of fun. I'm gone for work this week so I set this one to torrent while I'm gone:

It'll be done by the time I get home, so I'm going to install it on Saturday. Then I can mess with a ton of console games!

This might be a silly question but will this image fit on a 128GB SD card?

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

This might be a silly question but will this image fit on a 128GB SD card?

I've actually heard people say yes and no. I don't know enough to know who's actually right. 

I bought a 256 just in case. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I've actually heard people say yes and no. I don't know enough to know who's actually right. 

I bought a 256 just in case. 

Bugger! I bought a 128 about an hour ago. The compressed file is 70GB so I’m hopeful it works. 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Let me know if you could. I've seen many people argue over it but I haven't tested it myself 

Worked a treat. Loads straight to the Retropie environment and then it’s just plug and play. 

oOh62Wu.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

Worked a treat. Loads straight to the Retropie environment and then it’s just plug and play. 

oOh62Wu.jpg

Awesome. I'm gonna mess with it tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm putting it in my Arcade1up, so I'll need to make a bunch of changes based on the 5:4 aspect ratio. I'm sure it'll be awesome when I'm done though. 

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I highly recommend you guys get the MegaDrive(Genesis) version of 'Snow Bros'

A very rare game that's a lot of fun especially for coop. 

Thanks for the reminder! I've always heard about that game and haven't ever played it. 

I installed that image successfully earlier today, so I'm going to really dig into some of the games tomorrow. 

12 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Herzog Zwie is a cult classic multiplayer Genesis game.  One of the first I ever played a lot with my father.  It's an action RTS type of game, no co-op, but one of the most fun games ever made.

I used to love the HELL out of that game!

• Like 1