Jump to content

Arcade Cabinet / Retro Discussion


RussTCB

Recommended Posts

So I did, bought me the MK Arcade 1up cab today, and a riser. I'm going to do a video review on my YouTube channel. 

But I will say this, I LOVE the actual cabinet (that's my favorite part). I've read some negative comments from people, in regards to build quality of the cab (mostly the hardcore MAME forum I post on), and that's surprisingly my FAVORITE part. I think it looks beautiful. I'm even considering getting MK decals for the riser. 

Actual gameplay though... Im a little disappointed (tbh). It's not bad, but the games DO play better on my MAME machine. The controls disappoint me the most, I'm almost certain I'm going to upgrade those. I was honestly hoping for better. My IL Eurostick is a 10, my Xarcade bat top is an 8, the arcade 1up stick is a 6. Same with the buttons, I have HAPP buttons and cherry micro switches on my other control panel, and it's a night and day difference. 

I'm already considering modding it and putting ALL MK games I can on it. MK4 and MK Trilogy would be welcome additions imo. 

All things considered, I'm satisfied with my purchase, I REALLY like the cabs and monitors. That's a solid deal for those (especially if you can get them on sale). So I am considering buying ANY of them I can score on discount, and just modding the crap out of them (new skins and the whole 9 yards). 

What I plan on doing is have 6-10 "dedicated" mini cabs in my basement and one "super" full sized cab in my living room. The big cab will be 4 player and have EVERYTHING on it, while the smaller ones in my basement I want to dedicate to specific genres. Like this MK cab would have all MK games. Probably MOD the SF cab and put the other fighting games on it. Get the rampage cab for beat em up games. Pacman cab for all the "old school" basic arcade games. I also plan on doing a driving cab, for racing games and a shooting cab for gun games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@RussTCB,

So after processing it for the last 12-15 hours I'm liking it a little better. When I wrote my previous post, I hadn't put together the riser yet, and they are a MUST, makes them SO much better. 

I also FINALLY accessed the EJB menu on UMK3, so that REALLY makes me happy. Changing the difficulty and unlocking those characters are a MUST. I haven't done MK or MK2 yet, but I will (hopefully). But as I've said, UMK3 is my favorite anyways, it's the one I'll play the most. Which on a side note, I tried unlocking the characters via the kombat kodes at the game over screen, and they dont save. So I'm SO glad you found that hack to get them to save. I'm a little worried about MK2 EJB menu, I've read some people have been having issues when they access it, so hopefully that isnt me, because I need to change that difficulty as well. 

 

So what changes am I going to make? The controls are a MUST. If I'm honest, they are just not very good. For $30-50 bucks more, they can be arcade perfect, and they WILL be. I also want MK artwork for the riser (makes it look better imo). I'm also looking into a light up marquee for it, I found one for $30, and will probably pull the trigger. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

@RussTCB,

So after processing it for the last 12-15 hours I'm liking it a little better. When I wrote my previous post, I hadn't put together the riser yet, and they are a MUST, makes them SO much better. 

I also FINALLY accessed the EJB menu on UMK3, so that REALLY makes me happy. Changing the difficulty and unlocking those characters are a MUST. I haven't done MK or MK2 yet, but I will (hopefully). But as I've said, UMK3 is my favorite anyways, it's the one I'll play the most. Which on a side note, I tried unlocking the characters via the kombat kodes at the game over screen, and they dont save. So I'm SO glad you found that hack to get them to save. I'm a little worried about MK2 EJB menu, I've read some people have been having issues when they access it, so hopefully that isnt me, because I need to change that difficulty as well. 

 

So what changes am I going to make? The controls are a MUST. If I'm honest, they are just not very good. For $30-50 bucks more, they can be arcade perfect, and they WILL be. I also want MK artwork for the riser (makes it look better imo). I'm also looking into a light up marquee for it, I found one for $30, and will probably pull the trigger. 

I'm surprised to see you and others not liking the controls so much. I'm shocked by how much I like the stock controls. I wonder if it's like the SFII cabs and they put different sticks in different machines? 

As for as riser art work, if you want a 1 color design, my wife can do that for you for free. She has one of those Cricut machines. She's made the graphics for my Moonwalker and MK cabs. She's also made some graphics for other forums members. In any case, if you're interested, she'll be happy to do it. It just has to be one color. I had her do a giant red MK dragon for mine, for example. 

Side note, I think I'm going to do a lighted marquee too. 

  • GNFNR 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm surprised to see you and others not liking the controls so much. I'm shocked by how much I like the stock controls. I wonder if it's like the SFII cabs and they put different sticks in different machines? 

As for as riser art work, if you want a 1 color design, my wife can do that for you for free. She has one of those Cricut machines. She's made the graphics for my Moonwalker and MK cabs. She's also made some graphics for other forums members. In any case, if you're interested, she'll be happy to do it. It just has to be one color. I had her do a giant red MK dragon for mine, for example. 

Side note, I think I'm going to do a lighted marquee too. 

That would be AWESOME if she would be willing to do riser artwork!!! That's really impressive that she did your whole cab, I figured you just bought some. 

As for the controls, maybe it's the bat top that's on the MK cab why you prefer it to the Sanwas? Honestly, I dont have any experience with sanwas, but many people say they are THE best. From what I've heard though, they are "different" in feel and execution compared to a good bat top stick. While you can screw a bat top onto a sanwa stick, it still wont "feel" like the real bat tops.

Back in the day MK, SF and other games used bat top Happ competition sticks. It's a long story, but basically Happ got bought out and are made in China now, but the real manufacturer is now called Industious Lorenzo (IL), and the IL Eurostick is the old Happ competition stick (exactly the same). Happ still makes sticks (although I dont have any experience with them), and they have varied quality (some people still say they are really good). 

Anyways, I'm used to playing with the IL Eurostick and the Xarcade Happ knockoff stick. The IL stick is AMAZING, I plan on putting 2 of them in my MK cab. The Xarcade stick was "fine" but it was hard to pull off diagonal moves (Ryu's hodukon and subzero's freeze). The IL stick does them flawlessly. I will say the Arcade 1up stick does pull off the moves pretty accurately (so it's good in that regard). But it feels "cheaper" compared to both the IL stick and xarcade stick. I feel strongly that they will wear out after too long. So that's something to consider.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On a side note, I absolutely LOVE having my own Mortal Kombat cab now. It looks GREAT. For now it's in my living room (once I get some friends for it, itll go in the basement, but I dont want it to be lonely down there, lol). Right now the attract mode for UMK3 is running, and it makes me happy just looking at it, lol. 

Ever since I was young, there was something about the Mortal Kombat cabs that I just LOVED, they always been my favorite. When I do my big 4 player cab, I honestly wanted to do Mortal Kombat (I think one dedicated artwork looks better than multicab artwork). Anyways, I was talking to my wife about making it Mortal Kombat and she looked at me and said "no. I dont want to look at Mortal Komabt in my living room." I was secretly sad, lol. We ended up agreeing on doing Dungeons & Dragons for that cab (whenever I can afford it). 

Anyways... It makes me happy to FINALLY have a MK cab. I do like what arcade 1up has to offer as well. Like I said... The monitor, cab and artwork are a pretty good deal. Plus the modding capabilities, make them a pretty good option. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@RussTCB,

So I have a question for you, which of your 3 machines do you find yourself playing the most? 

I ask because I'm beginning to think that fewer games per cab might actually be better than a lot. My 14 year old daughter actually sat down and played Mortal Kombat for the first time ever. I've had those games on my MAME for forever, and she's never once expressed interest. The first time she saw the Arcade 1up, she played it. I'm curious if your Golden Tee and MK might be getting more play than your cab with 1,000 plus games on it? 

 

On a side note, my arcade 1up is really winning me over. I'm actually considering not doing my BIG MAME cab anymore and just buying a TON of Arcade 1ups and modding them. But only doing 20-30 games per cab. I feel like they will get played more that way. 

 

I dont know of you saw that MK bezel that is being worked on? It had all the characters moves on it :drool:

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

@RussTCB,

So I have a question for you, which of your 3 machines do you find yourself playing the most? 

I ask because I'm beginning to think that fewer games per cab might actually be better than a lot. My 14 year old daughter actually sat down and played Mortal Kombat for the first time ever. I've had those games on my MAME for forever, and she's never once expressed interest. The first time she saw the Arcade 1up, she played it. I'm curious if your Golden Tee and MK might be getting more play than your cab with 1,000 plus games on it? 

On a side note, my arcade 1up is really winning me over. I'm actually considering not doing my BIG MAME cab anymore and just buying a TON of Arcade 1ups and modding them. But only doing 20-30 games per cab. I feel like they will get played more that way. 

I dont know of you saw that MK bezel that is being worked on? It had all the characters moves on it :drool:

Overall, I've played GoldenTee far and away the most. It just lends itself VERY well to when friends come over. You can do 4 players at a time and it's turn based, so it's just the easiest in a social setting. 

MK is seeing the least action overall because everyone that sees it says "Oh shit, I need to remember all the moves but we should play that soon". The modden Moonwalker cab gets the second most use. What's cool is that when I tell people it's got tons of games, they'll usually say "Wow, does it have <insert game here> on it?!" which I can usually reply "Yes" to. When I do, I'll show them how to load the game and off they go. 

Edit- Yes I saw that bezel. I honestly think I like the other one the guy is working on that sits above the marquee. When he makes an MKII one, I think I'm going to buy it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2019 at 10:24 PM, Iron MikeyJ said:

I bought a SF and Asteroids cab today. I'm leaving the SF stock, but I'm gonna mod the asteroids into a beat me up and shoot me up machine. 

I think I'm good with my 3 cabs. I modded SF into a Pi machine, then I left GT & MK stock.

They would really have to announce something incredible at E3 for me to consider another one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I think I'm good with my 3 cabs. I modded SF into a Pi machine, then I left GT & MK stock.

They would really have to announce something incredible at E3 for me to consider another one. 

My wife wants a Qbert if they do that one. I'm also thinking about getting a rampage to put in my sons room. If the price is right, I'll buy anyone of them tbh. I'm  considering the Atari 12-1 for my arcade, just because it's a unique selection of games. 

Having said all of that though, I'm pretty confident I can "steal" the 1up design and build my own. So I'm going to do that for at least two machines. I haven't even opened the asteroids yet because I'm going to make templates of the sides out of cardboard. Those are the only "difficult" parts of the build imo. Plus copying the 1up will allow me to use existing 1up artwork for the sides of the machine arcade graphics for example). 

As far as the "brains" of my home builds go, I think I'm going with PC's. My current MAME PC I'm going to stick in the asteroids cab. I'm eyeing a new gaming PC for my build I was just describing. I want to be able to play old and new games, plus I just plain want a new PC. But I'll be making videos of my progress as I go. 

Here is what I currently have.

 

  • GNFNR 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

My wife wants a Qbert if they do that one. I'm also thinking about getting a rampage to put in my sons room. If the price is right, I'll buy anyone of them tbh. I'm  considering the Atari 12-1 for my arcade, just because it's a unique selection of games. 

Having said all of that though, I'm pretty confident I can "steal" the 1up design and build my own. So I'm going to do that for at least two machines. I haven't even opened the asteroids yet because I'm going to make templates of the sides out of cardboard. Those are the only "difficult" parts of the build imo. Plus copying the 1up will allow me to use existing 1up artwork for the sides of the machine arcade graphics for example). 

As far as the "brains" of my home builds go, I think I'm going with PC's. My current MAME PC I'm going to stick in the asteroids cab. I'm eyeing a new gaming PC for my build I was just describing. I want to be able to play old and new games, plus I just plain want a new PC. But I'll be making videos of my progress as I go. 

Here is what I currently have.

I'm running a RaspberryPi currently and I'll probably just stick with that. As far as A1U cabs going forward, I might buy a QBert if the do that due to the unique controls. I would love for them to do a 720 cab but I know that'll never happen.

I'm gonna check your video out in a minute. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'm running a RaspberryPi currently and I'll probably just stick with that. As far as A1U cabs going forward, I might buy a QBert if the do that due to the unique controls. I would love for them to do a 720 cab but I know that'll never happen.

I'm gonna check your video out in a minute. 

I honestly curious where 1up goes in the future. A lot of the games people are begging for (Ninja Turtles, xmen, NBA jam, etc) they all have rights issues that I'm not sure 1up has the financial resources to overcome (or make a product in the price range that would make them desirable). Games like Qbert, double dragon, battletoads, etc are the way to go imo. Yet I hardly EVER see people on the forum talk about them, it's always Donkey Kong and Ninja Turtles. Which I just don't see those cabs happening. There are TONS of non licensed games out there that could make good 1ups, but will they make them if they are unsure of the market for them???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I honestly curious where 1up goes in the future. A lot of the games people are begging for (Ninja Turtles, xmen, NBA jam, etc) they all have rights issues that I'm not sure 1up has the financial resources to overcome (or make a product in the price range that would make them desirable). Games like Qbert, double dragon, battletoads, etc are the way to go imo. Yet I hardly EVER see people on the forum talk about them, it's always Donkey Kong and Ninja Turtles. Which I just don't see those cabs happening. There are TONS of non licensed games out there that could make good 1ups, but will they make them if they are unsure of the market for them???

We know they have the wallcades and cocktail games coming, but I'm also curious what else they could have up their sleeve. I saw the NBA Jam cab in person at CES but I never post that on the fb page because I don't want the world to come down on my head lol. Having said that, the problem is exactly what you said; licensing. It's one thing to have a prototype hidden at a trade show, it's another thing to get the licensing to bring it to market.

As far as I'm concerned, I would only be intersted in NFL Blitz from that line of games anyway. Games with unique controls would have to be their next direciton. Qbert, like you mentioned, then maybe 720 like I was saying. QBert would have the far bigger audience, so I bet they'll get on that. I just don't see what else they could do that would keep people interested. Maybe light gun games? 

I know their CEO has hinted about doing something with pinball but I'm not sure how they'd pull that off. I'll be watching E3 very closely as I really think we'll have a much better idea of what the future holds then. I do think they'll announce TMNT and The Simpsons. If they announce NBA Jam, things could get interesting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

You gotta stop by soon and see it in person. The lighted aspect of it looks good in the pics, but amazing in person. 

How does it work? I'm curious how exactly they pulled that off.

As for stopping bye, I agree. I have a feeling the stars will align one of these days. You seem like a really good guy, and I'm sure your wife is nice as well. We (my wife and I) really could use some new friends. 

It's funny because just today my wife said to me "Do you have man cave envy or something?" Because I was telling her some of my plans for our basement. Let's just say your basement DOES seem pretty incredible. I have a decent vinyl collection, but I'll NEVER be able to compete with you there, lol. Although I DO have a MASSIVE Lego world/City in my basement, so I have you beat there 😁

  • GNFNR 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

How does it work? I'm curious how exactly they pulled that off.

As for stopping bye, I agree. I have a feeling the stars will align one of these days. You seem like a really good guy, and I'm sure your wife is nice as well. We (my wife and I) really could use some new friends. 

It's funny because just today my wife said to me "Do you have man cave envy or something?" Because I was telling her some of my plans for our basement. Let's just say your basement DOES seem pretty incredible. I have a decent vinyl collection, but I'll NEVER be able to compete with you there, lol. Although I DO have a MASSIVE Lego world/City in my basement, so I have you beat there 😁

There's two LED bars that sit at the back of the cab, inside so they're not visible. He put them at just the right height each and far enough back enough from the screen that it's perfectly lit. He makes commerical marquees for a living, so this is small potatoes compared to what he's used to apparently lol. The marquee itself is a completely enclosed box that sits on top of the A1U cab, and is screwed down so it looks great. Again, he's got the LED lighting figured out so there's no light bleed and it's not too bright. You're more than welcome to take a look at the whole get up whenever you come by. 

As far as my LP collection goes, it's absolutely meant to be shared. As much as I love my records, I love watching someone else find a record they want and ask to play it just as much. I have such a diverse collection that it's really cool to see what people pull when they just go digging. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, RussTCB said:

TMNT and a Marvel based cab announced today. We're supposed to hear about 3 more cabs tomorrow too. 

That TMNT one is sure bet for me. I've been wanting to do a four player cab, so this will be it. While the game selection on the Marvel cab IS nice, it's like Final Fight for me (great cabs, but I'm gonna have to pass). 

I'll probably end up modding the TMNT, add two more buttons per player and put all 3 and 4 player games on it. Last time I counted I had around 50 plus 3 and 4 player games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

That TMNT one is sure bet for me. I've been wanting to do a four player cab, so this will be it. While the game selection on the Marvel cab IS nice, it's like Final Fight for me (great cabs, but I'm gonna have to pass). 

I'll probably end up modding the TMNT, add two more buttons per player and put all 3 and 4 player games on it. Last time I counted I had around 50 plus 3 and 4 player games.

I will buy that TMNT for no other reason than to convert it to a WrestleFest cab. 

Also, did you see that Destructoid article that strongly hints they will announce Star Wars today? That'll be cool.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I will buy that TMNT for no other reason than to convert it to a WrestleFest cab. 

Also, did you see that Destructoid article that strongly hints they will announce Star Wars today? That'll be cool.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of those SW games, but I know others are. I would like to see a new "OG" type cab, with qbert, frogger, burger time, etc. They have been doing a great job hitting the late 80s/90s, but don't forget the original stuff as well. A Dragons Lair would be awesome as well. The late 80s/ early 90s was pretty much ALL fighting and beat em up games. Which are great, but I personally am looking for diversity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

@RussTCB,

Which of the new cabs do you think you will buy?

For me, Ninja Turtles is a must but that's about it. I like the cocktail tables, but I don't think I'll be getting one. But they are cool.

I'm gonna pass on this wave. The only thing that would make me change my mind would be if I saw a super low price on TMNT. Then I'd buy it to convert to WrestleFest 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...