Arcade Cabinet / Retro Discussion

RussTCB

On 10/24/2020 at 4:25 PM, Iron MikeyJ said:

@RussTCB,

I've been watching the Atgames pinball as well, and I agree that it looks like the better deal. I'm going to wait until I have all the information before I decide, but right now Arcade 1up is what I'll probably get. 

The biggest factor for me is space, my room isn't huge, and I have to maximize every square inch. So while the ATgames table looks better specs wise, me finding room for it is an issue. I feel more confident that I can squeeze the smaller Arcade1up table in somewhere. 

My 2nd issue is artwork. While it might not mean much to some, the ATgames table looks ugly imo. What we've seen from Arcade1up just looks far more appealing to the eye for me. Sure you can spend $600 on the ATgames, and another $150 on your own artwork. But now your $750 invested... Ouch.

I don't have much interest in either the Star Wars or Marvel tables (though if I had to pick, I'd pick the marvel one). I've heard that Arcade1up had 10 different tables that might get released. I've heard rumors about a Universal Studios table (jurassic park, back to the future, Jaws and ET). That one appeals to me the most, if it gets released. 

Having said all of this. If space or money are not an issue, the ATgames table is better. Just like the ATgames legends cab is better than any one Arcade1up. Not better than modded arcade1ups though. I wouldn't trade my modded SF for the Legends cab, no way. 

I WISH a virtual gnr pinball would get released, I'd be all over that.

What I like about Atgames vs. A1up is the monitor for the backglass.  To me the most important factor is how easy it will be to mod one of these once they're out.  The graphics can easily be changed and if all it takes is a cheap pc to handle Virtual Pinball it's possible to run any pinball table you want.  Without the monitor for backglass on A1up it kind of takes a full mod off the table.  

18 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Huh? Pinball games are far more expensive than $750. Also, neither AtGames nor Arcade1Up are $750

I said the ATgames machine is $600, but if you change the artwork, that's another $150. So that's where the $750 came from. Arcade1up is $550 right now, but I have a feeling it's going to come down to $499 to better undercut the ATgames table.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I said the ATgames machine is $600, but if you change the artwork, that's another $150. So that's where the $750 came from. Arcade1up is $550 right now, but I have a feeling it's going to come down to $499 to better undercut the ATgames table.

So when is the Atgames pin supposed to be available?

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Ah, gotcha. Still though, an actually pinball machine is farrrrrr more expensive than these. 

On 10/24/2020 at 4:25 PM, Iron MikeyJ said:

@RussTCB,

I've been watching the Atgames pinball as well, and I agree that it looks like the better deal. I'm going to wait until I have all the information before I decide, but right now Arcade 1up is what I'll probably get. 

The biggest factor for me is space, my room isn't huge, and I have to maximize every square inch. So while the ATgames table looks better specs wise, me finding room for it is an issue. I feel more confident that I can squeeze the smaller Arcade1up table in somewhere. 

My 2nd issue is artwork. While it might not mean much to some, the ATgames table looks ugly imo. What we've seen from Arcade1up just looks far more appealing to the eye for me. Sure you can spend $600 on the ATgames, and another $150 on your own artwork. But now your $750 invested... Ouch.

I don't have much interest in either the Star Wars or Marvel tables (though if I had to pick, I'd pick the marvel one). I've heard that Arcade1up had 10 different tables that might get released. I've heard rumors about a Universal Studios table (jurassic park, back to the future, Jaws and ET). That one appeals to me the most, if it gets released. 

Having said all of this. If space or money are not an issue, the ATgames table is better. Just like the ATgames legends cab is better than any one Arcade1up. Not better than modded arcade1ups though. I wouldn't trade my modded SF for the Legends cab, no way. 

I WISH a virtual gnr pinball would get released, I'd be all over that.

I was about to start building a virtual pinball machine but after hearing the details on the ATgames table I'm 100% sold.  Only $599 with the potential to mod is a steal imo.  It looks like it'll be pretty easy to get vpx tables running on it.  I modded my SF as well and am very happy with it but arcade1up really falls short with what they have planned for their tables.  No screen for backglass and plexiglass over the playfield are both dealbreakers for me.  

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2020 at 2:15 PM, RussTCB said:

If I started collecting anything other than records, my wife would kill me haha. 

As far as pinball goes, it's looking like AtGames is a MUCH better deal than Arcade1Up at this point. We'll have to see what the quality is when they come out, but based on specs alone, AtGames killed Arcade1Up. 

I pre-ordered the AtGames pinball table as soon as they opened up orders.  It's made to mod and that's what sold me.  For $599 I think it's a steal.

1 hour ago, Swampfox said:

I pre-ordered the AtGames pinball table as soon as they opened up orders.  It's made to mod and that's what sold me.  For $599 I think it's a steal.

I'm leaning that way too. It's doubtful I'll get into pinball but if I do, I'll probably just get theirs. I really like it after the redesign. 

4 hours ago, charliehoodger said:

Jjst saw this thread.. Arcade 1 up had a black friday sale on their Burger Time machine. Bought it for $379 with free shipping. Pain in the ass to put together but totally worth it. 

I've got 4 of their cabs now. Once you get past the first one, their a piece of cake lol

You can see some on my YouTube channel if you're interested 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPEgVplCg-pISIJTHIHt3lw

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I've got 4 of their cabs now. Once you get past the first one, their a piece of cake lol

I love how you manage to promote the podcast whether directly or indirectly at pretty much every opportunity. :lol: 

It's a great podcast though so more power to you! :lol: 

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I didn't have the space so I modded my SF2 A1up with the raspberry pi.  It's still amazing to me how thousands of games can fit on a micro sd card smaller than my pinkie.  I saved one spot for the pinball though 😁.  I might need some advice on custom graphics after I get it modded.  I want to either wrap it with GnR or Star Wars.  I know you made a moonwalker cab which is pretty cool.  My daughter plays that with me all the time.

6 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

I didn't have the space so I modded my SF2 A1up with the raspberry pi.  It's still amazing to me how thousands of games can fit on a micro sd card smaller than my pinkie.  I saved one spot for the pinball though 😁.  I might need some advice on custom graphics after I get it modded.  I want to either wrap it with GnR or Star Wars.  I know you made a moonwalker cab which is pretty cool.  My daughter plays that with me all the time.

Right on, just let me know when you're ready. I'll be happy to help with suggestions, etc. SFII is the only cab I fully modded into a Moonwalker / Pi cab. The others I have are stock and will probably stay that way outside of maybe adding heavier springs to NBA Jam. 

I'm seriously considering picking up Big Buck as my last cab. GoldenTee gets a TON of use on Fridays when we have people over to spin records and I could see Big Buck being the same way. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2021 at 1:44 PM, RussTCB said:

Arcade1Up did their CES announcements this morning. Completely underwhelming for me but I know a LOT of other people will be excited for them. 

The big ones so far are Dragons Lair, X-Men and Killer Instinct 

Even though this is the third version they're putting out I'm thinking about getting the new Pac man.  I just think it's timeless and looks like they nailed it this time.

3 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

Even though this is the third version they're putting out I'm thinking about getting the new Pac man.  I just think it's timeless and looks like they nailed it this time.

I don't have a Pac Man cab of theirs so if I were gonna buy one, that would be it for sure. 

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I don't have a Pac Man cab of theirs so if I were gonna buy one, that would be it for sure. 

Yea man, I play pac man on my SF cab constantly so for me it'll be a good pick.  I split my family room in half to add a bedroom for my son downstairs so I'm limited on space with the AtGames pinball on the way.  When he moves out I'll make it into an arcade room.   I put in my preorder for the pinball day one so hopefully it's soon.  Not sure if you've been following what they're doing but supposedly they're working on some type of bridge piece to run your pc on the pinball cab.  I got a new gaming pc and set it up with vpx so I'll be good to go getting GnR pinball rolling asap 🤘

1 minute ago, Swampfox said:

Yea man, I play pac man on my SF cab constantly so for me it'll be a good pick.  I split my family room in half to add a bedroom for my son downstairs so I'm limited on space with the AtGames pinball on the way.  When he moves out I'll make it into an arcade room.   I put in my preorder for the pinball day one so hopefully it's soon.  Not sure if you've been following what they're doing but supposedly they're working on some type of bridge piece to run your pc on the pinball cab.  I got a new gaming pc and set it up with vpx so I'll be good to go getting GnR pinball rolling asap 🤘

That's rad. I'm mildly interested in pinball, so I think I'm just gonna go with the A1Up Star Wars machine to add to my room. 

Don't get me wrong, I know about all the advantages of going with AtGames but for my interest / use, the A1Up is more than enough. 

I'm excited about what AtGames is doing for pinball enthusiasts though. They've really come a long way! 

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Pre ordered my A1Up Star Wars pinball today. As of now, they're supposed to be shipping on 02/08. I hope that holds. I'm really looking forward to having some fun with it. 

That's good you have a date to look forward to.  Atgames said they'll send an email when my machine is ready and then I have 48 hours to pay or they go to the next order.  Could be next week or could be march. 

1 hour ago, Swampfox said:

That's good you have a date to look forward to.  Atgames said they'll send an email when my machine is ready and then I have 48 hours to pay or they go to the next order.  Could be next week or could be march. 

Wow, that's so odd. I hope all goes well with yours. Between A1Up's track record and my overall concerns with GameStop in general, I don't have high hopes that my order will go smooth lol

• 7 months later...