Arcade Cabinet / Retro Discussion

RussTCB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2022 at 7:28 AM, Dazey said:

Played an Arcade 1Up for the first time last night. Not impressed to be honest. Joysticks were terrible and the 3/4 cabinet size makes it very tricky to comfortable play two player games. 

I got way into Arcade1Up for a minute, but now I'm back down to 2 cabs. One isn't really even an A1Up can anymore because I replaced all the controls and put a Raspberry Pi in it. The other is the Tron cabinet that they did a really good job on. 

Now that I installed RetroArch on my Series X, I just play all the classic games on tbat instead anyway. 

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

@RussTCB

@Dazey

Hey do you guys(or anyone else) know of a retro console I can buy that is nice quality and plug n play with great games pre-installed ready to go?

Buying as a gift for someone so don't wanna fuck around with setting up ROMS etc. I was looking at the 'Miyoo Mini V2' which looks really good tbh but it doesn't have an HDMI port and I'm wanting a console that fully supports 2 players. Also, while it does have a fuckload of games it has duplicate entries which is a minor gripe but quite annoying.

Sorry, I saw this earlier and forgot to reply. Someone else may have a better answer, but I don't know too much about retro consoles. I went the Raspberry Pi route but I get what you're saying about not wanting to mess around with ROMs. 

I've seen a few YouTube channels mention that eBay and even Amazon have some retro consoles with pre installed games. So my only suggestion would be to scour those sites for something that looks decent. 

5 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Yeah I was scouring Amazon for pre-loaded systems, trouble is they're either more expensive than I'd like or one way or another have some kind of drawback.

Do you know 'Batocera'? Thinking I'll set that up on a USB or external SSD(to plug into a computer) and buy some nice controllers to go along with it and it's off to the races. The massive amount of content and freedom of it is staggering. Been meaning to get an emulation setup for ages. Does require fucking around with sorting the ROMs but supposedly it's not too difficult. Will be worth it in the end and won't have an ocean of filler.

I know a little about RetroArch and nothing about Bocotera BUT, I can point you in a good direction. 

When I first got into setting up a Raspberry Pi, I dound a YouTube channel called ETA Prime. The guy does a TON of videos about everything to do with emulation. He's got tutorials for every way to emulate something. 

So I would tell you to hit his channel and search for videos on what you want to do. I think you'll be surprised by how easy everything is to setup if you just follow his steps. 

On 9/28/2022 at 7:03 AM, Oldest Goat said:

@RussTCB

@Dazey

Hey do you guys(or anyone else) know of a retro console I can buy that is nice quality and plug n play with great games pre-installed ready to go?

Buying as a gift for someone so don't wanna fuck around with setting up ROMS etc. I was looking at the 'Miyoo Mini V2' which looks really good tbh but it doesn't have an HDMI port and I'm wanting a console that fully supports 2 players. Also, while it does have a fuckload of games it has duplicate entries which is a minor gripe but quite annoying.

Hey man. Sorry, I built all mine from scratch so don't know of any prebuilt retro arcade consoles. If you want Nintendo games you can buy the SNES mini classics which have about 30 old games on them. You can hack them and install a bunch more though. Think I squeezed about 200 onto the one I had. 

• 9 months later...