10 Super Bowl halftime acts that would've been a better choice than Maroon 5

Original

5. Guns N’ Roses: This was a pipe dream for so long given Axl Rose’s volatility, chronic tardiness and inability to get along with any of the band’s original members. But now that they’re back together and comfortably ensconced into their “we’ll behave and show up on time as long as people keep buying $250 tickets” age, there’s no denying this show would be great. Here’s a fun parlor game: What would a three-to-four-song Super Bowl set from GNR look like?

-I would bet Jungle, SCOM, YCBM and PC  <insert new song IF they had one> and (probably shortened versions ala the VMA's in 2002)

Edit- forgot link-  https://news.yahoo.com/10-super-bowl-halftime-acts-wouldve-better-choice-maroon-5-135419211.html;_ylt=A0geKLw1TVNcVXgABhhXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEya29oZXRkBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjY4MjFfMQRzZWMDc3I

Edited by Original
  • Like 2

Saw The Who's halftime show...breaks my heart seeing em without Moonie.  Don't sound right, don't look right, its like...a car without the engine, they lost of their cacophonous reckless veering on the edge of fucking up without ever actually fucking up quality that they had that made them so musically exciting...and thats without the visual aspect of what he provided.  And then now Entwhistle too.  Never was there a band where each member was so crucially important and I'm a big one for that whole 'don't fuck with the line up' thing.

• Like 2

Guns, Metallica and Foo Fighters all seem like the perfect acts! WTTJ, YCBM, SCOM, PC

I think lots of bands just didnt want to play it for reasons in addition to the lip synch and pay to play. Whether for personal convictions of solidarity with Kaepernick or to protect their brand against scrutiny.

Maroon 5 is taking heat via petition and veteran artists calling on them to withdraw. And at least 2 million has gone to charity in attempts to smooth things over.

"In alleged response to the criticism, Maroon 5, the group's label and the NFL have each made a $500,000 donation to Big Brothers Big Sisters of America. Rapper Travis Scott reportedly agreed to take part in the performance only if the NFL made a donation of $500,000 to Van Jones’ Dream Corps, which supports social-justice initiatives."

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-waters-maroon-5-super-bowl/

I remain hopeful that Weird Al will (rightfully) get the gig one day. I'm glad he didn't manage to get it this year though with all the protests and what not. I'd rather see that thrown on Maroon 5 as opposed to Weird Al.

As far as GN'R goes, I don't think they can ever do it now seeing as the whole No Trickery thing came from Axl insulting RHCP for not being plugged in at an NFL performance, right?

20 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Saw The Who's halftime show...breaks my heart seeing em without Moonie.  Don't sound right, don't look right, its like...a car without the engine, they lost of their cacophonous reckless veering on the edge of fucking up without ever actually fucking up quality that they had that made them so musically exciting...and thats without the visual aspect of what he provided.  And then now Entwhistle too.  Never was there a band where each member was so crucially important and I'm a big one for that whole 'don't fuck with the line up' thing.

I watched a documentary a while back on The Who and Noel Gallagher said looking at them back in the day, everyone was playing lead. I thought it a good discription of the band. Entwhistle is an amazing bass player, up there with Geezer Butler in terms of his playing. 

Moon was a huge part of the sound and irreplaceable really. Zak is better than Kenny I think, but no moon. Even if he was given lessons by him. 

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

I watched a documentary a while back on The Who and Noel Gallagher said looking at them back in the day, everyone was playing lead. I thought it a good discription of the band. Entwhistle is an amazing bass player, up there with Geezer Butler in terms of his playing. 

Moon was a huge part of the sound and irreplaceable really. Zak is better than Kenny I think, but no moon. Even if he was given lessons by him. 

Yeah, its actually Townshend and his guitar doing the nuts and bolts work whereas Moonie and Entwhistle were just fuckin' on some other planet.  I'll tell you what though, at least in the case of Entwhistle, you could keep time by what he was doing, it was very precise, it was just fuckin' measured lead work as you say.  And Moonie, though he drifted in and out of time he never lost the musical thread, he weren't just pure wild, he just...played to a different beat, he was more into following the vocals and working the whole time, right the way through the verses and ignoring the points where you'd typically have fills, genius in that respect though I don't think he could explain it to you if he tried.  

I've just never heard a band sound like that in my fuckin' life, they're sort of unique in that regard, even moreso than The Stones and The Who, love them though I do The Who just had some fuckin' next weird delicious musical dynamic.  They came from local around here too and played a lot of gigs around here and like, I can't imagine what it must've been like seeing them play live in these little fuckin' halls in England, I wish there was more recordings of that, all those Motown covers, they were brilliant and that shit and not that they outdid the originals, just in how original the idea of that band with that weird dynamic and standoffish behaviour sounded doing that shit and how those songs came out having been put through their lens.  Everyone in that band was a fuckin' star.  

Check that out...they're fuckin' kids there...Moonie especially I think is 16 and he's just fuckin' magic.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I remain hopeful that Weird Al will (rightfully) get the gig one day. I'm glad he didn't manage to get it this year though with all the protests and what not. I'd rather see that thrown on Maroon 5 as opposed to Weird Al.

As far as GN'R goes, I don't think they can ever do it now seeing as the whole No Trickery thing came from Axl insulting RHCP for not being plugged in at an NFL performance, right?

Mentioning Weird Al made me think, has he ever parodied Guns?  

11 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Mentioning Weird Al made me think, has he ever parodied Guns?  

Nope. Closest he came would've been if you counted a parody of Live & Let Die. I don't know if he was planning to sound like GN'R or closer to the original but McCartney shot it down so it doesn't matter.

• Thanks 1