Appetite/Lies alternate/remixes that didn’t make the box set

Looking through all the old Singles on Discogs I noticed a few things that that may interest some of us

WTTJ, SCOM, Paradise City and Patience all have radio edits, WTTJ and SCOM have a few different radio edits.  Most of us have probably heard these throughout the years and have been annoyed by them, they usually cut the beginning and end, and cut up the solo.

Now the more interesting stuff

Its So Easy (clean version)

SCOM (new remix) this full length, not an edit

SCOM (remix/radio edit)

Mr Brownstone (Alt mix)

Has anyone heard any of these? ISO was on YouTube for awhile (back off) and Brownstone is kind of common. But SCOM I have never heard, and since it has been remixed, I wouldn’t mind listening to the edit too.  Are there any real differences?

I know there was a thread about what is missing from the box set but that was mostly focused on demos and I wanted to give these some more attention.

2 minutes ago, Walkynbp said:

Looking through all the old Singles on Discogs I noticed a few things that that may interest some of us

WTTJ, SCOM, Paradise City and Patience all have radio edits, WTTJ and SCOM have a few different radio edits.  Most of us have probably heard these throughout the years and have been annoyed by them, they usually cut the beginning and end, and cut up the solo.

SCOM (remix/radio edit)

Mr Brownstone (Alt mix)

Has anyone heard any of these? ISO was on YouTube for awhile (back off) and Brownstone is kind of common. But SCOM I have never heard, and since it has been remixed, I wouldn’t mind listening to the edit too.  Are there any real differences?

I know there was a thread about what is missing from the box set but that was mostly focused on demos and I wanted to give these some more attention.

How funny you should mention this. I just heard the radio edit of SCOM on the radio last night and was bitching up a storm to my wife about it. It's absolutely butchered. It's missing the first two short solos, then it's missing the first half of the main solo. It's crazy how much is missing. I hadn't heard it in ages so it's funny that it got played on the radio just last night!

I've heard the ISE clean version which was funny to me because Axl says "What don't you just BACK OFF!" instead of the the original line. Then they just edited out the "fuckin'" from "so fuckin' easy!" at the end.

As for the Brownstone Alt Mix; I LOVE that version. The best way I can describe it is that it's a "dry mix" with almost none of the reverb that the album version is drenched in. I've always hoped that the whole album would be released with the same type of mix someday. That hope more or less died when it wasn't part of the L&L Set though. 

31 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

How funny you should mention this. I just heard the radio edit of SCOM on the radio last night and was bitching up a storm to my wife about it. It's absolutely butchered. It's missing the first two short solos, then it's missing the first half of the main solo. It's crazy how much is missing. I hadn't heard it in ages so it's funny that it got played on the radio just last night!

I've heard the ISE clean version which was funny to me because Axl says "What don't you just BACK OFF!" instead of the the original line. Then they just edited out the "fuckin'" from "so fuckin' easy!" at the end.

As for the Brownstone Alt Mix; I LOVE that version. The best way I can describe it is that it's a "dry mix" with almost none of the reverb that the album version is drenched in. I've always hoped that the whole album would be released with the same type of mix someday. That hope more or less died when it wasn't part of the L&L Set though. 

Is your life complete now that you own a L&L set Russ? Or is it just a rather expensive dust magnet looked at once and then tucked away forever in your lounge?

3 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Is your life complete now that you own a L&L set Russ? Or is it just a rather expensive dust magnet looked at once and then tucked away forever in your lounge?

Lol, what? I would never say my life is complete due to owning a boxed set lol. I have however, spun a lot of the LPs several times since getting it along with a turntable for super cheap. 

Just now, RussTCB said:

Lol, what? I would never say my life is complete due to owning a boxed set lol. I have however, spun a lot of the LPs several times since getting it along with a turntable for super cheap. 

Lol. I was just ribbing ya buddy. I give it six months before you sell it on eBay!!! ;-)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Towelie said:

Lol. I was just ribbing ya buddy. I give it six months before you sell it on eBay!!! ;-)

Nah, the box and the knicknacks will definitely get put in some corner of my music area (not prominently displayed or anything), then I'll just file the LPs with my GN'R stuff eventually. 

Just now, RussTCB said:

Nah, the box and the knicknacks will definitely get put in some corner of my music area (not prominently displayed or anything), then I'll just file the LPs with my GN'R stuff eventually. 

Lol. Maybe I'm projecting. I sold my Super Deluxe edition a few months back. 

That's some expensive vinyls you own there Russ!

Just now, Towelie said:

Lol. Maybe I'm projecting. I sold my Super Deluxe edition a few months back. 

That's some expensive vinyls you own there Russ!

Here's how I look at it: After all was said and done, I paid $530 USD total for the box along with the turntable.

The turntable was a Pro Ject Essential III which goes for $350 on it's own. Then it came with an Ortofon OM10 stylus pre-mounted which goes for about $80 on it's own. Then they included the upgraded acrylic platter which goes for $120 on it's own. 

So the turntable value alone comes to a total of $550, then of course the L&L Set was supposed to be $1000. So basically I paid $530 for two items that were supposed to cost $1550.

If you break the $530 in half, it means that I paid $265 for a turntable set up with $550 and $265 for a boxed set priced at $1000.

I'm more than happy with that deal! 

P.S. I fully realize you were / are kidding but I just like to point out that I'm more than happy with the ridiculous deal I got. I have individual LPs that I've paid more than $200 for, so I'm cool with getting 6 GN'R LPs for around the same price :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Towelie said:

What were they out of curiosity?

Off the top of my head, I know I've paid that much for MJ-Blood On The Dance Floor and Motley Crue's S/T album. Not sure what else, but I'm sure there's a couple more that I've paid around that for. 

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Off the top of my head, I know I've paid that much for MJ-Blood On The Dance Floor and Motley Crue's S/T album. Not sure what else, but I'm sure there's a couple more that I've paid around that for. 

Wow. You have a very understanding wife Russ. :lol:

• Haha 1

I'm not surprised that radio edits weren't included in the box set, but I'm pretty surprised they didn't include the demos of Used To Love Her or Sweet Child O Mine...

Also, as a side note: as annoying as the youtube takedowns have been, the piece of human garbage named Walker and his butt-buddy have had almost every bootleg blocked from sale on Discogs. Fuck them. <_<

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'm not surprised that radio edits weren't included in the box set, but I'm pretty surprised they didn't include the demos of Used To Love Her or Sweet Child O Mine...

Also, as a side note: as annoying as the youtube takedowns have been, the piece of human garbage named Walker and his butt-buddy have had almost every bootleg blocked from sale on Discogs. Fuck them. <_<

I’m not surprised the radio edits weren’t included either, but the remixes are a different story.  

What demo of Used to Love Her? The short piece that was on the Nevin tapes with Cornshucker?  I think they should have cleaned up and included all of that but here we are. At least it’s out there.

And why is that guy so obsessed with having everything taken down?

8 minutes ago, Walkynbp said:

I’m not surprised the radio edits weren’t included either, but the remixes are a different story.  

What demo of Used to Love Her? The short piece that was on the Nevin tapes with Cornshucker?  I think they should have cleaned up and included all of that but here we are. At least it’s out there.

And why is that guy so obsessed with having everything taken down?

Yea the Used To Love Her demo is only like 90 seconds, I have it with Cornshucker and a One In A Million demo. Those all definitely should've been cleaned up and thrown in the box.

The guy is obsessed because.... mental illness makes people do weird shit? :shrugs:

23 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I love the Alt mix way more than the original! 

• GNFNR 1

I've been saying these 3 songs should have been included for a while now, especially since there's no alternate versions of those songs included on the box set.

Maybe they'll be included once a new greatest hits package gets released but I doubt it.

Edited by The Matinator

On 03/02/2019 at 1:38 PM, Walkynbp said:

SCOM (remix/radio edit)

Mr Brownstone (Alt mix)

it should be nice to listen to them but i don't care much for remixes, specially remix of an album that sounds pretty much perfect

i'd rather listen to outtakes from the appetite sessions, specially outtakes that contain

- alternate axl vocal takes

- alternate slash solo takes

- alternate takes that contain parts of the songs that were cut out on the final edit of the songs (like that outro from 14 years)

- outtakes of songs/ideas that were recorded but never used (slash said they wrote most of you could be mine during the sessions so it's fair to assume they went through other ideas/jams/songs/unfinished songs while on studio; i also think it's fair to assume that they must have recorded at least a few takes of songs like ain't going down, perfect crime, back off bitch and who knows how many more?)

there is so much stuff that could be in this boxset but axl chose to put toys inside instead of music