Once Upon a Time in Holllywood - New Film by Quentin Tarantino, July 2019

Ace Nova

26 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

His heyday was Dogs-Pulp-Jackie Brown. That is the trinity with which he peaked. Since then he has largely made post-ironic ''nerd'' films in a spaghetti western manner, the best of which was Inglorious Bastards - although I felt there were two films there. 

I think thats the only film of his that I've ever only watched once.  I remember almost nothing about it now.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I think thats the only film of his that I've ever only watched once.  I remember almost nothing about it now.

It has some of his best writing in. The scene in the bar is superb. I like the exchanges about Pabst between the soldier and her with the cinema also, also, incessant cinema nerd referencing; I'm a fan of German cinema from the silent/early talkie era so this mall appealed to me.

Edited by DieselDaisy

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It has some of his best writing in. The scene in the bar is superb. I like the exchanges about Pabst between the soldier and her with the cinema also, also, incessant cinema nerd referencing; I'm a fan of German cinema from the silent/early talkie era so this mall appealed to me.

I watched it in the cinema stoned off my fuckin' tits, remember enjoying it at the time, dunno why I never re-watched it. 

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I watched it in the cinema stoned off my fuckin' tits, remember enjoying it at the time, dunno why I never re-watched it. 

It references Hitchcock's masterpiece Sabotage, with a clip of the boy on the bus, when discussing the flammability of old film stock.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw an interview with Brad and Leo last night. They seemed like they had a fun time filming this movie. Can't wait to see it. QT never disappoints with his amazing offbeat movies.

On 7/12/2019 at 12:42 PM, appetite4illusions said:

If you were to go solely on the trailer, you would think this movie has no plot, whatsoever.

It's often been the case that Tarantino's films don't make for the best trailers. I would say this one gets the blue ribbon. I fully expect to love the movie, but I've been hating these trailers.

I'm excited that QT put the Bruce Lee character in this movie. And from what I've seen the actor looks amazing. The whole Charles Manson murder has me a bit freaked out. You know how QT loves his bloody violence.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I saw an interview with Brad and Leo last night. They seemed like they had a fun time filming this movie. Can't wait to see it. QT never disappoints with his amazing offbeat movies.

I'm excited that QT put the Bruce Lee character in this movie. And from what I've seen the actor looks amazing. The whole Charles Manson murder has me a bit freaked out. You know how QT loves his bloody violence.

Being a QT movie, I can see that aspec of the film being drastically different from what really happened. Kind of like the death of Hitler in Inglorious Basterds.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 1:42 PM, appetite4illusions said:

If you were to go solely on the trailer, you would think this movie has no plot, whatsoever.

It's often been the case that Tarantino's films don't make for the best trailers. I would say this one gets the blue ribbon. I fully expect to love the movie, but I've been hating these trailers.

Meh...I'm pretty sure the trailers are made that way so no one can say for sure what the plot is...aka, there's probably going to be a twist or two...or three.   And they aren't going to give any of them away in a trailer.  

On 7/16/2019 at 3:53 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Sharon Tate's sister said its not what you'd except from QT - So it must not be THAT bad.

8 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Sharon Tate's sister said its not what you'd except from QT - So it must not be THAT bad.

Its always been said, when its revealed that its not beyond the realm of possibility that Steve McQueen or Bruce Lee could have been at the Cielo Drive property the night Sharon died, prompting fanboys such as myself coming out with 'shit, Steve/Bruce woulda kicked their fuckin' arses' so that was always a possibility, shit, I'd pay for that, Bruce lee vs The Manson Family...or Steve McQueen vs The Manson Family :lol:  But if Sharons sister can't be on board with them making an exploitation movie out of her sisters memory so it can't be that.

On 7/17/2019 at 4:46 AM, F*ck Fear said:

Being a QT movie, I can see that aspec of the film being drastically different from what really happened. Kind of like the death of Hitler in Inglorious Basterds.

Maybe but I did see a scene where the murders are carrying the guns and knives and walking up to Sharon's house. I hope it's not too graphic. Don't want to see Sharon getting murdered and them cutting the baby from her and then hanging her up. Gross!

Yeah, loved the dead of Hitler in IB. Would have been so cool if he did die that way.

I would love to see this movie. Have to check my schedule. But I have loved all quentin's movies since the first one.

I love how he starts slow and then kills it with action towards the end of all his movies.

9 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Its always been said, when its revealed that its not beyond the realm of possibility that Steve McQueen or Bruce Lee could have been at the Cielo Drive property the night Sharon died, prompting fanboys such as myself coming out with 'shit, Steve/Bruce woulda kicked their fuckin' arses' so that was always a possibility, shit, I'd pay for that, Bruce lee vs The Manson Family...or Steve McQueen vs The Manson Family :lol:  But if Sharons sister can't be on board with them making an exploitation movie out of her sisters memory so it can't be that.

I saw a special on the Manson murders and it said he knew that producer wasn't there, but he said to kill anyone who was there just to make a point.

It was one of histories worse murders. that's what I feel anyway. Anytime a baby is killed it's sickens me. I commend the prosecuter for making Manson pay for his crimes.

10 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Maybe but I did see a scene where the murders are carrying the guns and knives and walking up to Sharon's house. I hope it's not too graphic. Don't want to see Sharon getting murdered and them cutting the baby from her and then hanging her up. Gross!

Yeah, loved the dead of Hitler in IB. Would have been so cool if he did die that way.

I would love to see this movie. Have to check my schedule. But I have loved all quentin's movies since the first one.

I love how he starts slow and then kills it with action towards the end of all his movies.

I saw a special on the Manson murders and it said he knew that producer wasn't there, but he said to kill anyone who was there just to make a point.

It was one of histories worse murders. that's what I feel anyway. Anytime a baby is killed it's sickens me. I commend the prosecuter for making Manson pay for his crimes.

Manson coulda easily gotten away with it, if he wasn’t such a crazy bastard.  Cuz if you think about it he weren’t involved in the actual Tate/La Bianca murders, prosecutors were struggling trying to put together a case in which Manson was actually incriminated.  But everytime that mad bastard opened his mouth in court he just made it worse, he even tried to stab the judge with a pencil :lol: 

Quentin was on Jimmy Kimmell live last night.

He said he would make one more movie to equal ten and that's it. He said he just got married and would like kids and to spend time with them. He said he would continue to write. I'm sure he can change his mind. The guy's movies are freaking awesome.

Brad Pitt's character is partly based on Tom Laughlin's character of Billy Jack from the early 70's.  Both Brad and Quentin had the same idea in mind. Cool.

On 7/23/2019 at 3:01 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Quentin was on Jimmy Kimmell live last night.

He said he would make one more movie to equal ten and that's it. He said he just got married and would like kids and to spend time with them. He said he would continue to write. I'm sure he can change his mind. The guy's movies are freaking awesome.

Brad Pitt's character is partly based on Tom Laughlin's character of Billy Jack from the early 70's.  Both Brad and Quentin had the same idea in mind. Cool.

The Billy Jack thing was really cool.  Brad Pitt had gone to Tarantino's home to discuss his idea about basing his character on Billy Jack.  Unbeknownst to Brad, Tarantino had the Billy Jack movie threaded in his projector. Very weird and cool.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:42 PM, appetite4illusions said:

So, in this instance, it wasn't just the trailer. The film has a very loose plot. In fact, it has almost no narrative drive. It's weird, but it doesn't move with purpose.

Sometimes, I think Tarantino's films could be much better than they turn out and this was one of those films. It was very enjoyable, but it could have been a stone cold classic had it done a little more. 

The Manson thing was never a factor for QT and the lack of development of that fails to make the final act all that special. Had he invested a little more time on Charlie and the gang and a lot less time on old cable cowboy shows, you would have a film that was more interesting, more dynamic and more well rounded. As it is, the Slippies feel shoe-horned in to make it more exploitation - but only when it's convenient and only at the end.

I had a different film in my head than the one this turned out to be. I don't know that he stacked the deck on this one.

Like it a lot more than H8FULL 8, not quite as much as Django and it's pretty well behind Inglorious, which was my favorite post-nineties joint.

When you folks go out to see this movie, keep in mind another movie which belongs in the conversation with this; Bad Times at the El Royale.

Both are late sixties alt-history noirs. Both films use the Manson family as villains and both films end with an eruption of violence. In fact, many of the songs QT uses in this film we’re used last year in Bad Times. There’s a little bit of redundancy there.

But keep Bad Times in mind for comparison. In my opinion, El Royale used the Manson family much better as villains. Tarantino clearly had an ambivalence about using Manson, which is too bad. He pulled his punch on that one.

10 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

When you folks go out to see this movie, keep in mind another movie which belongs in the conversation with this; Bad Times at the El Royale.

Both are late sixties alt-history noirs. Both films use the Manson family as villains and both films end with an eruption of violence. In fact, many of the songs QT uses in this film we’re used last year in Bad Times. There’s a little bit of redundancy there.

But keep Bad Times in mind for comparison. In my opinion, El Royale used the Manson family much better as villains. Tarantino clearly had an ambivalence about using Manson, which is too bad. He pulled his punch on that one.

El Royale didn’t have Manson in it did it? I thought it was just a cult leader played by Thor.