CD STARTS NOW

fumardude

Hey guys throughout the years in here people have asked about the notorious CD STARTS NOW shirt. A few months back I messaged this account about the shirt & well it took them a few months, but I guess they came through after all.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382738765015

Edited by fumardude
Misspelling
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

Bought one.  I'm willing to gamble $25.   I've wanted this fucking shirt for almost two decades.   I'll settle for a bootleg for now.

Could you possibly post pics and your thoughts when it arrives? I'm in the same boat; I've wanted this shirt for a long time. If no one else had, I was going to just pull the trigger. Since you did already, I might as well hold off and see how it is. 

I too am curious whether the shirt will be of decent quality. I wouldn’t risk it because all of these accounts are new and their reviews are mostly (and oddly) $0.01 recipes. 

On topic. I bought a real one on eBay about a year ago. There was a guy on here selling 2 of them for initaly $400. I ultimately paid $140 for one in Large. Unfortunately, the shirt is too big for me and I don’t think I’ll wear it (wore it once). 

I wouldn’t sell it lightly but cld be open to an interesting offers/trades.  Looking for an excellent condition CD Starts Now shirt from the 2002 tour (raised fist)

Jeez, a large was too big for you?  Unreal.

I thought that guy was full of shit asking for $400 for a pair and refusing to sell them one at a time.  I'm pretty sure I offered him $150 for just one and he refused.  I thought it was sketchy that the shirts were "sealed" in plastic bags though.  In all my decades of attending gigs and buying merch, I have NEVER seen a concert t-shirt in a bag.

PM me if you're interested in selling the genuine one.  It's way too small for me, but I'll likely just hang it on the wall as a decoration anyway.

Also, thanks to the OP for posting this and bringing it to our attention in the first place.  Like I said, if I get screwed, I'm only out $27.50.  Based on the pics on the auction page, the front graphic seems a bit small and the color gradiation between the yellow and orange looks off.  The text on the back looks fuzzy as well.   But I don't care....it's a bootleg and I know it's a bootleg, so I won't be too upset if it's a piece of shit.

Shirt was definitely legit. He told me he ordered them online after the show, so it makes sense. I’ve ordered a number of shirts from bands’ websites and they are almost always sealed 

And his eBay track record was legitimate, so that’s how I got comfortable

yes, it’s slightly big. It’s old school concert shirt bulky (and the heavier fabric). Similar to fit to my Large from the 2002 shows!

So I'm waiting for the bootleg shirt I ordered and checked out the feedback's seller in the meantime.

All positive except ONE negative......and that negative was for THIS shirt!

It said  "Sorry, but this is a terrible reproduction. Low-res and even the font is wrong. "

Not exactly filling me with confidence, but like I said, I was willing to roll the dice.  My shirt shipped but no idea when it'll arrive.

In the meantime I'm of course still in the market for a genuine one, but those are approaching damn near vintage status after all.  It's been almost 20 years.   Maybe this piece of shit bootleg  is the best I'll ever do.

The shirt material is very thin.  I doubt it would stand up to a lot of wear and tear or wash cycles.  I never planned on wearing it anyway; I just wanted to hang it on my wall of GNR concert shirts. The shirt is a "Gildan", made in Bangladesh, and has a tag, unlike the newer official shirts that just have tag info printed on.

The front graphic is OK at best.

Maybe from a distance you can fool someone but once you get up close the details are fuzzy, and it's clear this thing is home-made.  The reds, oranges and greens aren't terrible really.  The whites are bad though...very faint and you can see the black bleeding through.  I'm comparing it to pics of the real thing now, and all the lettering looks like a slightly different font, but there's not typos. Even says "GUNS N ROSES" without the apostrophe just like the original.

Colors look way way muted compared to the real one though.  Also, the Chinese characters in the corner are completely gone.  Best I can tell, the image is centered nicely and it isn't warped.  Meaning, the border lines all look straight.

VgITKMr.jpg

OK.....here's the best part....the reverse.   The font looks just about right, but it's washed out as hell.  The original shirt had vivid red and white letters...this one looks like it's been washed about a hundred times.

But yeah....check this shit out....I'll let the picture do the talking:

gauXzoA.jpg

Isn't that shit hilarious???

Bottom line....it was worth it to me.  I KNEW it was a fake.  If I didn't know, I'd be pissed, but come on.  At this low price anyone that thinks they're getting a genuine 01-01-01 is an idiot.  Mine shipped from Indonesia to Japan in less than a week, no problems at all, packed nicely.  If you have ever wanted the shirt, I say go for it.  Better to have a funny facsimile than nothing at all.  Although I certainly can't guarantee it won't dissolve if you wear it in the rain.

Here's some comparisons to genuine shirts....first is the "gas mask" CD 2002 North America shirt, front and back.

Orc3lSu.jpg

rREsAof.jpg

And here it is next to my Tokyo up close and personal shirt:

VKEeyNj.jpg

And why not?  Here it is with the Tokyo NITL shirts.

G5kq3Za.jpg

I don't know how evident it is in the pics, but it's VERY washed out and muted next to these other shirts that have never been worn.  Kind of a bummer to put such a dull shirt next to the other vibrant ones, but hey, you get what you pay for!

(I still want a real one....preferably with sleeves, unlike the last one I saw on ebay.  Just imagine having one of the coolest concert shirts of all time and you cut the sleeves off so you can wear it while working on your Chevy sipping beer out of a coozie.  What a fucking disgrace.)

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

The shirt material is very thin.  I doubt it would stand up to a lot of wear and tear or wash cycles.  I never planned on wearing it anyway; I just wanted to hang it on my wall of GNR concert shirts. The shirt is a "Gildan", made in Bangladesh, and has a tag, unlike the newer official shirts that just have tag info printed on.

Maybe from a distance you can fool someone but once you get up close the details are fuzzy, and it's clear this thing is home-made.  The reds, oranges and greens aren't terrible really.  The whites are bad though...very faint and you can see the black bleeding through.  I'm comparing it to pics of the real thing now, and all the lettering looks like a slightly different font, but there's not typos. Even says "GUNS N ROSES" without the apostrophe just like the original.

Colors look way way muted compared to the real one though.  Also, the Chinese characters in the corner are completely gone.  Best I can tell, the image is centered nicely and it isn't warped.  Meaning, the border lines all look straight.

VgITKMr.jpg

OK.....here's the best part....the reverse.   The font looks just about right, but it's washed out as hell.  The original shirt had vivid red and white letters...this one looks like it's been washed about a hundred times.

gauXzoA.jpg

Bottom line....it was worth it to me.  I KNEW it was a fake.  If I didn't know, I'd be pissed, but come on.  At this low price anyone that thinks they're getting a genuine 01-01-01 is an idiot.  Mine shipped from Indonesia to Japan in less than a week, no problems at all, packed nicely.  If you have ever wanted the shirt, I say go for it.  Better to have a funny facsimile than nothing at all.  Although I certainly can't guarantee it won't dissolve if you wear it in the rain.

Here's some comparisons to genuine shirts....first is the "gas mask" CD 2002 North America shirt, front and back.

Orc3lSu.jpg

rREsAof.jpg

VKEeyNj.jpg

G5kq3Za.jpg

I don't know how evident it is in the pics, but it's VERY washed out and muted next to these other shirts that have never been worn.  Kind of a bummer to put such a dull shirt next to the other vibrant ones, but hey, you get what you pay for!

(I still want a real one....preferably with sleeves, unlike the last one I saw on ebay.  Just imagine having one of the coolest concert shirts of all time and you cut the sleeves off so you can wear it while working on your Chevy sipping beer out of a coozie.  What a fucking disgrace.)

Genuinely can't believe it.

CDII starts now :lol: Brilliant. Thanks for the share! Will look forward to seeing it when it eventually arrives

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 10:26 AM, estrangedtwat said:

Bought one.  I'm willing to gamble $25.   I've wanted this fucking shirt for almost two decades.   I'll settle for a bootleg for now.

Did you shirt happen to show up yet? I'm very curious to hear about the quality. I'm gonna order one if yours is ok. 

On 2/26/2019 at 4:05 AM, estrangedtwat said:

VgITKMr.jpg

gauXzoA.jpg

Orc3lSu.jpg

rREsAof.jpg

VKEeyNj.jpg

G5kq3Za.jpg

Dude that gas mask shirt is awesome

• Like 1

Yeah, I snagged the gas mask at the official merch booth in Cleveland, 2002.   By far the coolest design of that tour in my opinion.  If you recall, back then it was mostly that dragon/dog thing, and some Communist looking stars.  I definitely made the right choice!

I saw them for sale online from shirt re-sellers a few years after the show, but I gotta believe the supply has dried up.  I can barely find any pics online to prove it existed!    I've never worn mine, I just keep it as a souvenir from the show.

21 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

Yeah, I snagged the gas mask at the official merch booth in Cleveland, 2002.   By far the coolest design of that tour in my opinion.  If you recall, back then it was mostly that dragon/dog thing, and some Communist looking stars.  I definitely made the right choice!

I saw them for sale online from shirt re-sellers a few years after the show, but I gotta believe the supply has dried up.  I can barely find any pics online to prove it existed!    I've never worn mine, I just keep it as a souvenir from the show.

That shirt is my white whale. Were the resellers just folks on eBay?