Last song you learned to play on guitar?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I'm trying to learn how to play Better in the best way I can, and it's being really hard for me. I think it's extremely frustrating to not have a single decent cover on YouTube with the Buckethead parts included. Still, there's tons of Bucket's songs played very well there.

Can the stems from Rockband 2 help? and if nothing works there's the Chinese Democracy tab book they've released (I don't own it)

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

Can the stems from Rockband 2 help? and if nothing works there's the Chinese Democracy tab book they've released (I don't own it)

Yes, the stems definitely helps. I also have a fairly accurate tab of everything in this song in a free website that also plays it in midi and where you can switch between instruments. It's easy to find online, and it's not some random Ultimate Guitar fan-made stuff.

The problem is that the Bucket stuff is too complex for me. I am figuring out some stuff, but that last sweep picking arpeggio before Robin's solo is driving me nuts. The only way I can play that is taking shortcuts. I would like to watch someone trying it because then I could see the shape of the arpeggios. Or if they have another way to play it - Bumble used a totally different approach with some tapping in between. It sounds great, but I'm not sure if he was accurate. Also, he improvised a lot with this particular part most of the times. BTW, Richard also take a lot of shortcuts in those Bucket parts these days.

But most of the non-Buckethead stuff I learned by ear on my own back in 2006. I even made a tab for Robin's solo and chords hahaha. I still can't believe how wrong some people play this solo and this song on YouTube, especially the intro riff.

17 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Yes, the stems definitely helps. I also have a fairly accurate tab of everything in this song in a free website that also plays it in midi and where you can switch between instruments. It's easy to find online, and it's not some random Ultimate Guitar fan-made stuff.

The problem is that the Bucket stuff is too complex for me. I am figuring out some stuff, but that last sweep picking arpeggio before Robin's solo is driving me nuts. The only way I can play that is taking shortcuts. I would like to watch someone trying it because then I could see the shape of the arpeggios. Or if they have another way to play it - Bumble used a totally different approach with some tapping in between. It sounds great, but I'm not sure if he was accurate. Also, he improvised a lot with this particular part most of the times. BTW, Richard also take a lot of shortcuts in those Bucket parts these days.

But most of the non-Buckethead stuff I learned by ear on my own back in 2006. I even made a tab for Robin's solo and chords hahaha. I still can't believe how wrong some people play this solo and this song on YouTube, especially the intro riff.

The double sweep run? You saying you're trying to pick it up by ear but can't? Or despite having a tab you can't get it? I think I have the multitracks somewhere, I could try slowing it down and picking it up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

The double sweep run? You saying you're trying to pick it up by ear but can't? Or despite having a tab you can't get it? I think I have the multitracks somewhere, I could try slowing it down and picking it up.

I'm trying it despite having a tab. Thanks, I also have the multitracks, but there's an easier way: a youtube video with all of Bucket's solos isolated too (better to not post it here). I can play it along in the 0,5x speed lol. 

I wanted to watch someone else playing it because there's some things that makes more sense once you see it, you know? 

The most likely scenario is that I just dont have the skill to play it that fast. I can play it taking a lot of shortcuts, and maybe it sounds ok for most people. To my ears, it actually sounds closer to the album than what Richard plays live, granted it's a lot harder to do it standing in front of thousand people. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/10/2019 at 12:32 AM, Voodoochild said:

I'm trying to learn how to play Better in the best way I can, and it's being really hard for me. I think it's extremely frustrating to not have a single decent cover on YouTube with the Buckethead parts included. Still, there's tons of Bucket's songs played very well there.

I think I came close enough. I already recorded an audio only version if anyone is interested, but I'll put a youtube video later this week.

7 hours ago, Mendez said:

I'm interested in the audio!

Thanks! I tried to upload it on Sound Cloud, but that didnt work because of the copyright stuff. So I hope you can grab it before it expires or some idiot take it down, but in any case, I can send it again:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/1c7c86e1bcc3cb065db5f3121727f84a20191113122531/838186032611fd10b06761393a09940f20191113122531/f57227

• Like 1

Thanks! I tried to upload it on Sound Cloud, but that didnt work because of the copyright stuff. So I hope you can grab it before it expires or some idiot take it down, but in any case, I can send it again:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/1c7c86e1bcc3cb065db5f3121727f84a20191113122531/838186032611fd10b06761393a09940f20191113122531/f57227

It was a nice cover! The Buckethead parts are way better than anything i could do. But really,  who can play as fast as him anyway?

59 minutes ago, Mendez said:

It was a nice cover! The Buckethead parts are way better than anything i could do. But really,  who can play as fast as him anyway?

Thanks man! I saw a lot of cool people playing Buckethead solos on YouTube, I bet those people can pull it off way better than I did. I just don't know why they never bothered to try the Chinese Democracy stuff besides There Was a Time. Seems like a bit of prejudice with the band IMO. 

It was really hard for me to get to this level, but I don't think I can do better than that now. Keep in mind that I was always the Slash/Robin kind of guitar player, this is my first time ever trying to play sweep picking arpeggios. 

Thanks man! I saw a lot of cool people playing Buckethead solos on YouTube, I bet those people can pull it off way better than I did. I just don't know why they never bothered to try the Chinese Democracy stuff besides There Was a Time. Seems like a bit of prejudice with the band IMO. 

It was really hard for me to get to this level, but I don't think I can do better than that now. Keep in mind that I was always the Slash/Robin kind of guitar player, this is my first time ever trying to play sweep picking arpeggios. 

Could also be put off by Axls voice. One coworker of mine loves Better bc of his voice, and the other doesnt like better specifically because of his raspy voice, but likes his falsetto he uses on the "no ome ever told me" part

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mendez said:

Could also be put off by Axls voice. One coworker of mine loves Better bc of his voice, and the other doesnt like better specifically because of his raspy voice, but likes his falsetto he uses on the "no ome ever told me" part

Hahaha, saw some of this too back when CD came out. But with the Buckethead fans, I guess there's some bad blood about his work on GNR.

• 1 month later...