Slash: "There's material and stuff going on already for a new record."

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

Wow! So many keyboard warriors tonight. :lol: 

This is coming from Slash. I can understand the cynicism if it was Fortus, but Slash! Just wow! This forum is always complaining about something. 

Yeah, this is a tough one.  Based on history, you can't blame people for being skeptical, but I think 2 things that are important are:

1. This is Slash, not DJ Ashba or <insert any former nuguns member name here>  We don't have the same mile long line of broken promises of new material from Slash.

2. Something has changed with Axl.  He's doing songs on cartoons, reunited with Slash, Just jumped into a tour with AC/DC and hasn't been late to a show, and generally well behaved for years now.  

I'm not saying "AFDII Starts now!!!"  I'm just saying this isn't "more of the same bullshit."  If it turns out to be bullshit, it's new bullshit.  This isn't Bach or Fink or Ashba, or some fucking "industry insider" This is Slash. 

Cautiously Optimistic is the word.

Edited by DeadSlash
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, dgnr said:

Man, I don't know what to tell you...With all due respect, I think you're being naive. This speech is the same bullshit we've been hearing since 1994.

Do you really believe that 'is Slash everybody is waiting on'? That Slash's tour is what is preventing a new GNR release? Slash can record an album in 2 months!! Slash was not what prevented a new GNR release 20 years ago and he's not preventing it now. We all know who takes an eternity to release new songs. Heres a hint: it's not Slash :shrugs:

It's just as naive to blame Axl for everything. This band is a business agreement between Axl, Slash and Duff, all of whom share different managers. By Richard's and Slash's own admission, there is a GN'R album in the works, but it won't be properly tackled until Slash gets off his tour.

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

Wow! So many keyboard warriors tonight. :lol: 

This is coming from Slash. I can understand the cynicism if it was Fortus, but Slash! Just wow! This forum is always complaining about something. 

How funny that the person accusing this forum of complaining too much and being keyboard warriors is actually the person doing those things.

I think you and a few other people have a hard time differentiating between calling a spade a spade and being a blind follower willing to believe anything. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

I’m pretty sure the whole “label disputes” and “issues with the label” thing is always an excuse. There’s no label executive going, “whoa whoa whoa, DON’T release music!”

Labels are meant to fund the recording of music and promotion of such.. stuff like that. There’s so many resources readily available to the average human now, that more and more artists are choosing to go independent.

They’ve got the line-up now, and it doesn’t seem like anyone’s going anywhere. When you’ve got a group musicians willing to work with you and create new art, just do it.

Without a plan, you’re not going to have a new release. Every release needs a plan. Otherwise it just won’t happen. “Up in the air” is where it will all remain until someone puts their foot down and starts scheduling.

• Like 2

The translation is,

AXL, you don't go, 'Oh, there is a plan, and it's gonna be like this,' because that's not how axl works. So, basically, the only real answer to give is we're hoping to put a new record out, and we'll just see what happens when AXL decides it happens."

I think if no new music was on the horizon or wasnt going to happen, slash would have jumped ship by now. And i think that would have happened prior to the finalisation of his divorce. So i wonder if plans to do new music would have been discussed before slash finalising his divorce, and any future recordings and income i wonder if that would have been calculated as part of his alimoney. My 2 cents.

Some bands usually have a 5 year plan, but i guess not GNR.

Edited by Sydney Fan

32 minutes ago, Tyler Drama said:

I’m pretty sure the whole “label disputes” and “issues with the label” thing is always an excuse. There’s no label executive going, “whoa whoa whoa, DON’T release music!”

Labels are meant to fund the recording of music and promotion of such.. stuff like that. There’s so many resources readily available to the average human now, that more and more artists are choosing to go independent.

They’ve got the line-up now, and it doesn’t seem like anyone’s going anywhere. When you’ve got a group musicians willing to work with you and create new art, just do it.

Without a plan, you’re not going to have a new release. Every release needs a plan. Otherwise it just won’t happen. “Up in the air” is where it will all remain until someone puts their foot down and starts scheduling.

The label has been begging/manipulating for this for 20 years.  They won't even listen to it before putting it out. :lol:

Everything is pointing to a new album. When you have Slash making comments like that - it’s more a case of when than if. New music is clearly being worked on.

And it’s interesting that Richard is named with ‘the big three’ and it’s also pleasing. He has been with the band for ages and is clearly respected.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Of course there's always new material being worked on. Will it see the light of day though? Probably not. 

Sorry, but in this case Slashs word means no more to me than Fortus'

Hmm - normally I agree with most of what you say but disagree here. Whereas it’s pleasing that Richard is being grouped in with the big three, Slash’s word carries more weight for sure.

I know many are jaded at how the band works etc but it’s a different machine now and so we have to think new music will appear judging by the comments.

Its not as if Axl is worried about how his voice etc may be perceived - he was more than happy to sing and act on a cartoon by a song he clearly had little involvement in terms of writing.

My take on the ‘plan comments’ is that this alludes to how long it may take which is fair enough as no point giving a ballpark figure - if that’s missed then there would be a nuclear meltdown. They say material is being worked on so that’s good enough for me! 

I really can understand those who don’t  believe in a new GN’R album and think that those who believe are a bunch of naive. I used to think in exactly the same way about those who believed that one day Axl and Slash could be part of the same band again. I used to make fun of them.

15 minutes ago, RONIN said:

"Slash may sound like the De La Hoya but he's the fuckin Vargas." - W. Axl Pose

So to be clear, Richard Fortus, the guy with zero writing credits - who played 3rd fiddle to Bucket and Finck with barely any creative input on Chinese Democracy - as per Slash, this dude is apparently involved with the long awaited follow up record to the legendary AFD and UYI. However, this album may or may not come out ostensibly since GNR has no plan or schedule to complete and release it. Meanwhile, Izzy, Steven and Matt, all of whom remain available, are left to twist in the wind. Brilliant.

These clowns literally couldn't find their asses with both hands. Why do they even bother? Just release the 90s shit and retire already. 

Richard's involvement could simply be playing stuff that Slash wrote.