Why is Kurt Cobain called a Feminist ?

oldnews

On 2/25/2019 at 11:07 AM, Len Cnut said:

He openly referred to himself as a feminist.  'openly', like its something to be ashamed of :lol:  You know what I mean!

Yeah, that was gonna be my answer to the question, didn't he call himself a feminist? I guess maybe that's why people call him one?

If you consider some of the things he said and the songs he wrote, I think it's pretty obvious why people call him a feminist. You could argue that he wasn't a "true feminist" for whatever reason, but it's not difficult to figure out why he was perceived as one.

"Because I couldn't find any friends — male friends that I felt compatible with — I ended up hanging out with the girls a lot. I just always felt that they weren't treated with respect. Especially because women are totally oppressed."

"The problem with groups who deal with rape is that they try to educate women about how to defend themselves. What really needs to be done is teaching men not to rape. Go to the source and start there."

"If any of you, in any way, hate homosexuals, people of a different color or women, please do this one favor for us — leave us the fuck alone. Don’t come to our shows and don’t buy our records."

"Never met a wise man / If so it's a woman."

"If you're a sexist, racist, homophobe or basically an asshole, don't buy this CD. I don't care if you like me, I hate you."

Edited by Scream of the Butterfly
  • Like 1