Waiting for Guns to Get on Stage, Personal Stories

Newcastle 2006. It was boiling hot that day - a furnace. He didn't show up 'till after 11pm. Then he turned up, played most of the show only to storm off stage before the end because somebody had thrown something on stage. It was just boring really. Nothing much to day about it. And at £5 per Fosters you know you'll end up with a significantly lighter wallet and the Eartha Kitts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sydney eastern creek raceway 93. Outdoor festival.

Lineup was pearls and swine(local band) , rose tattoo, skid row, gnr

Was on a saturday and a hot fuckin day 38 degrees. Was an oudoor festival at a race track in the middle of nowhere. I was 17. Spent 15 hours on a bus to akd the t rrip to sydney to see them. I forget the times the band played but i remember rose tattoo played for 45mins, skid row just under an hour. Water was incredibly expensive and security was hosing people down with water. There was something like a 5 hour wait time fgor guns to come onstage, and before they did pepple were bored, it had been a hot day and p erople were just restless do everybody started lighting bonfires. The promoter came out and told the crowd guns wouldnt hit the stage until the fires out and they went out so fast.

As much as it pains me to say this but i think skid row upstaged guns on that day. The concert finished at 11.30pm guns played fir 1.5 hours and spent another 15 hours on a bus going home. On the monday i did my driving test and in my drivers licence photo i had a very red face but wearing my tour shirt i got on that day!. 

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Newcastle 2006. It was boiling hot that day - a furnace. He didn't show up 'till after 11pm. Then he turned up, played most of the show only to storm off stage before the end because somebody had thrown something on stage. It was just boring really. Nothing much to day about it. And at £5 per Fosters you know you'll end up with a significantly lighter wallet and the Eartha Kitts. 

I cant believe the brits drink that shit! 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You had the pleasure of seeing GN'R with Robin Finck and still thought that the show was boring? I don't understand you. 

Edited by Sosso

7 minutes ago, Sosso said:

You had the pleasure of seeing GN'R with Robin Finck and still thought that the show was boring? I don't understand you. 

I said the waiting was boring. The question was ''Waiting for Guns to Get on Stage, Personal Stories''.

The show itself was quite good until he stormed off. Stradlin turned up.

8 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Sydney eastern creek raceway 93. Outdoor festival.

Lineup was pearls and swine(local band) , rose tattoo, skid row, gnr

Was on a saturday and a hot fuckin day 38 degrees. Was an oudoor festival at a race track in the middle of nowhere. I was 17. Spent 15 hours on a bus to akd the t rrip to sydney to see them. I forget the times the band played but i remember rose tattoo played for 45mins, skid row just under an hour. Water was incredibly expensive and security was hosing people down with water. There was something like a 5 hour wait time fgor guns to come onstage, and before they did pepple were bored, it had been a hot day and p erople were just restless do everybody started lighting bonfires. The promoter came out and told the crowd guns wouldnt hit the stage until the fires out and they went out so fast.

As much as it pains me to say this but i think skid row upstaged guns on that day. The concert finished at 11.30pm guns played fir 1.5 hours and spent another 15 hours on a bus going home. On the monday i did my driving test and in my drivers licence photo i had a very red face but wearing my tour shirt i got on that day!. 

I cant believe the brits drink that shit! 😄

These arena places only have the very worst sort of lager. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I said the waiting was boring. The question was ''Waiting for Guns to Get on Stage, Personal Stories''.

The show itself was quite good until he stormed up. Stradlin turned up.

You said "Then he turned up, played most of the show only to storm off stage before the end because somebody had thrown something on stage. It was just boring really." You haven't said what exactly was boring. 

Anyway, I'm glad that you could enjoy the show itself. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

We have that in oz sometimes to when they serve carslberg

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

You said "Then he turned up, played most of the show only to storm off stage before the end because somebody had thrown something on stage. It was just boring really." You haven't said what exactly was boring. 

Anyway, I'm glad that you could enjoy the show itself. 

I don't have to stick exactly in a linear chronology when I type, do I?

Oakland 1992. After Metallica's set and a LONG wait --- this began to happen (see the video below; skip to around :55) and continued into GN'R's set. I was in the upper-level with a vantage point similar to the video. It was pure chaos. I remember a subsequent Oakland A's game was postponed due to the damage to the outfield. If you watch enough of the video, you'll see some fans using the tarp to protect themselves from being pelted by the sod.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I think I saw the "good show" in Minneapolis. I believe they had two shows with Sound Garden and I don't recall a ridiculously long wait at the show I saw. In fact, I've been lucky to have seen them many times and never had a ridiculously long wait. My favorite wait was another Target Center show during the latter years of Axl & Friends. Despite all the talk of lateness, the band pretty much started at the same time each night. We were next door watching a good Sunday Night Football game. My brother, who isn't as big of a GNR fan as I am, was freaking out that we were going to miss the show. I kept assuring him that we'd be fine. The game ended, we walked next door, got to our seats, and the lights went down to start the show. I didn't have any interest in whoever was opening, so it could not have worked out any better. My brother looked at me and said, "Wow, you really know your band." 

• Like 1

Buffalo, ‘92. 60,000 people there, I was 3 rows from the stage. Waiting for Guns, it was complete chaos in the seats. People throwing shit all over the place at each other. Apparently a teenage girl got hit in the head with a full can of soda, was rushed to the hospital, and missed the show. The next day Slash and Axl secretly went to visit her in the hospital. I know because I had a couple friends that worked there. 

• Like 3

axl was 5 minutes late to the first show i saw in 2017. iwas on the side of the stadium so i could see behind the stage and saw a car pull up with axl and beta and the band went on stage. LA show in 2017 at staples centre band went on stage on time. I can't imagine waiting hours on end for the band to show up.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, BKinNYC said:

Buffalo, ‘92. 60,000 people there, I was 3 rows from the stage. Waiting for Guns, it was complete chaos in the seats. People throwing shit all over the place at each other. Apparently a teenage girl got hit in the head with a full can of soda, was rushed to the hospital, and missed the show. The next day Slash and Axl secretly went to visit her in the hospital. I know because I had a couple friends that worked there. 

Beautiful Axl and Slash gesture !!! 🌝

2 hours ago, sidman69 said:

axl was 5 minutes late to the first show i saw in 2017. iwas on the side of the stadium so i could see behind the stage and saw a car pull up with axl and beta and the band went on stage. LA show in 2017 at staples centre band went on stage on time. I can't imagine waiting hours on end for the band to show up.

You ruined the image with " car pull up with Axl and Beta".....:lol:

On 3/15/2019 at 7:20 AM, DPR714 said:

Target Center- Minneapolis 1992 

Ticket said  SHOWTIME: Around 9PM

Soundgarden played for an hour and then the wait started.

GNR hit the stage at 12:15AM Show ended at 3AM. 

Damn, that is ridiculously late, even for Guns standards(at that time).  I'm surprised there were no curfew issues. 

1991.. I was on acid and it seemed like an eternity in between Soundgarden and Guns but I didn't care.. I was in the nosebleeds just looking down at all the insanity ensue.. American crowds weren't a bunch of pansies back then. 

1992.. There was close to a 3 hour delay in between Metallica and Guns.. It was turning into complete mayhem and people were getting arrested and hurt.. The concourse by the concessions was like a mosh pit and you could hardly walk five feet.  They were giving out/selling those huge hard plastic travel mugs and you would look around the stadium and that is all you could see was those things flying around everywhere. A full one smashed the guy next to me off his head and split it open. He had to leave.. A lot of other people left too... It was a sunny day.. Faith No More played.. Then Metallica put on a blistering set around 3 hours long. Then the 3 hour wait for Axl.. People that liked Metallica more were leaving.. People that were too drunk and tired were leaving.. People were also trickling out during Guns set when they started with all the ballads.. It was just a long day and following Metallica wasn't a great idea.. 

1993.. I don't remember the wait before the show but Axl left the stage for about half hour after the second song and there was nearly a riot.. It was St Paddy's Day in Boston and people were shitfaced... Luckily he came back out just in time and they put on the best show I have ever witnessed in my life.. And I got to shows like some people collect baseball cards..

2002.. Axl and his cast of circus clowns waited until after 11pm on a Monday night to start..  Some people left..  The staff at the Fleet Center stopped selling beer early when they realized he would be late to avoid any riots.  Everyone just sat around with their thumbs up their asses bored as fuck  waiting for NuGuns to come on.. 

2016.. I don't remember what time they came on in Vegas but I think it was close to midnight... I was a good boy and didn't really drink all day so I would remember it all. I started drinking a little before the time I figured they would come on which ended up being like 3 hours of Jack and Cokes lol.. Surprising enough I still remember pretty much the whole show. 

• Like 2

On 3/14/2019 at 6:56 PM, Sosso said:

I saw them once with him and the show seemed like a joke  . As was Buckethead with his lame nunchuck solo. 

29 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I saw them once with him and the show seemed like a joke  . As was Buckethead with his lame nunchuck solo. 

Are you kidding me? There is nothing "lame" about nunchucks at all. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

46 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

1991.. I was on acid and it seemed like an eternity in between Soundgarden and Guns but I didn't care.. I was in the nosebleeds just looking down at all the insanity ensue.. American crowds weren't a bunch of pansies back then. 

1992.. There was close to a 3 hour delay in between Metallica and Guns.. It was turning into complete mayhem and people were getting arrested and hurt.. The concourse by the concessions was like a mosh pit and you could hardly walk five feet.  They were giving out/selling those huge hard plastic travel mugs and you would look around the stadium and that is all you could see was those things flying around everywhere. A full one smashed the guy next to me off his head and split it open. He had to leave.. A lot of other people left too... It was a sunny day.. Faith No More played.. Then Metallica put on a blistering set around 3 hours long. Then the 3 hour wait for Axl.. People that liked Metallica more were leaving.. People that were too drunk and tired were leaving.. People were also trickling out during Guns set when they started with all the ballads.. It was just a long day and following Metallica wasn't a great idea.. 

1993.. I don't remember the wait before the show but Axl left the stage for about half hour after the second song and there was nearly a riot.. It was St Paddy's Day in Boston and people were shitfaced... Luckily he came back out just in time and they put on the best show I have ever witnessed in my life.. And I got to shows like some people collect baseball cards..

2002.. Axl and his cast of circus clowns waited until after 11pm on a Monday night to start..  Some people left..  The staff at the Fleet Center stopped selling beer early when they realized he would be late to avoid any riots.  Everyone just sat around with their thumbs up their asses bored as fuck  waiting for NuGuns to come on.. 

2016.. I don't remember what time they came on in Vegas but I think it was close to midnight... I was a good boy and didn't really drink all day so I would remember it all. I started drinking a little before the time I figured they would come on which ended up being like 3 hours of Jack and Cokes lol.. Surprising enough I still remember pretty much the whole show. 

Those are awesome and funny stories.  Did the acid enhance the show?  And I totally agree about following Metallica, people were just worn out by the time Guns came on.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

How do you play a nunchuck? like a martial arts nunchuck? 

Yes.... Was embarrassing.. Just not what the band I fell in love with was all about. 

20 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Are you kidding me? There is nothing "lame" about nunchucks at all. 

When the lead guitarist of "Guns N' Roses" is playing with them onstage during a concert it is lame..  

• Like 1