Waiting for Guns to Get on Stage, Personal Stories

55 minutes ago, JimMorrison4 said:

Pittsburgh 2002 - Around 2 hours of Mixmaster Mike, lots of booing, lots of girls flashing. I was 2nd row on the floor. People were starting to talk about tearing shit up. ALOT of people were kicked out by security. The building was maybe half full. One of the guys from Jackass was standing in front of me.

Huntington, WV 2006 - Front row. Baz and Papa Roach were openers. Both were great. About an hour wait. Some girl offered me a beer if I let her in front of me. Couldn't say no. We made out during November Rain.

Toronto 2010 - Hour and a half-ish wait after Baz. Lots of booing. Shitty seats but first time visiting Toronto. Too broke to buy booze. The best I've ever heard Axl sound.

Wilkes-Barre, PA 2011 - Waited outside in line for 4 hours. They played from around 11pm-2am. Met some people from MyGNR so that definitely helped the time go by faster. Over an hour wait. Great show. My ex and I had the "great" idea that we should try out adult diapers. We knew we were going to be on the floor for a while once we got in there and didn't want to lose our spot to use the bathroom. The night before we bought some Depends and a bottle of Jack. Thank God we tested them. That would have been a mess. 

Toledo, OH 2011 (or 2012?) - Shitty seats. Black Label Society opened. It was after midnight when they finally came on. Played until 3am. Freezing out that night.. they even waited 45 minutes longer than advertised to open the doors! Good show though. 

Orlando, FL 2016 - Right on time. Best concert ever. Front row behind the pit.

Miami, FL 2017 - A few minutes late. Nothing crazy. Awesome show. 

Very interesting you description about GNR waiting  👍

• Like 1

Saw lots of tits waiting for them to go on stage in Toronto back in 2002. Pretty sure it was close to a 2+ hour wait for them to finally go on stage around 11:30pm. The wait was a complete joke, but it was a great concert 

5 hours ago, JimMorrison4 said:

My ex and I had the "great" idea that we should try out adult diapers. We knew we were going to be on the floor for a while once we got in there and didn't want to lose our spot to use the bathroom. The night before we bought some Depends and a bottle of Jack. Thank God we tested them. That would have been a mess. 

My god!!

Should've just pissed in a bottle and chucked it at Ashba.

6 hours ago, JimMorrison4 said:

Pittsburgh 2002 - Around 2 hours of Mixmaster Mike, lots of booing, lots of girls flashing. I was 2nd row on the floor. People were starting to talk about tearing shit up. ALOT of people were kicked out by security. The building was maybe half full. One of the guys from Jackass was standing in front of me.

Huntington, WV 2006 - Front row. Baz and Papa Roach were openers. Both were great. About an hour wait. Some girl offered me a beer if I let her in front of me. Couldn't say no. We made out during November Rain.

Toronto 2010 - Hour and a half-ish wait after Baz. Lots of booing. Shitty seats but first time visiting Toronto. Too broke to buy booze. The best I've ever heard Axl sound.

Wilkes-Barre, PA 2011 - Waited outside in line for 4 hours. They played from around 11pm-2am. Met some people from MyGNR so that definitely helped the time go by faster. Over an hour wait. Great show. My ex and I had the "great" idea that we should try out adult diapers. We knew we were going to be on the floor for a while once we got in there and didn't want to lose our spot to use the bathroom. The night before we bought some Depends and a bottle of Jack. Thank God we tested them. That would have been a mess. 

Toledo, OH 2011 (or 2012?) - Shitty seats. Black Label Society opened. It was after midnight when they finally came on. Played until 3am. Freezing out that night.. they even waited 45 minutes longer than advertised to open the doors! Good show though. 

Orlando, FL 2016 - Right on time. Best concert ever. Front row behind the pit.

Miami, FL 2017 - A few minutes late. Nothing crazy. Awesome show. 

I don't know what Orlando show you were at.  There was much more time between the opener and GNR than there was on most of the tour.  Axl and Duff were doing some interview that held them up.  I guess in GNR world, it would still be considered on time especially compared to the earlier shows you attended.

As for Miami, they were more than a few minutes late.  I'm pretty sure they delayed on purpose due to the traffic outside the stadium.  I remember that it was still half empty 45 minutes after the opener and when I looked at my phone, it was solid red on all the surrounding streets.

On 4/2/2019 at 4:54 PM, DieselDaisy said:

My god!!

Should've just pissed in a bottle and chucked it at Ashba.

Hahaha

On 4/2/2019 at 5:29 PM, Gnrcane said:

I don't know what Orlando show you were at.  There was much more time between the opener and GNR than there was on most of the tour.  Axl and Duff were doing some interview that held them up.  I guess in GNR world, it would still be considered on time especially compared to the earlier shows you attended.

As for Miami, they were more than a few minutes late.  I'm pretty sure they delayed on purpose due to the traffic outside the stadium.  I remember that it was still half empty 45 minutes after the opener and when I looked at my phone, it was solid red on all the surrounding streets.

My financial situation changed quite a bit from 2010 when I couldn't afford an $8 beer. In 2016-17 I was pounding the $15 drinks. Maybe that's why the wait didn't seem so long :lol:

OH... Just remembered a couple details about the 2006 Huntington, WV late start. My buddy and I were talking to a security guard after the show. He said they were all told Axl was refusing to go on stage until they found a chiropractor for him. They were having trouble trying to find someone so late at night. Axl was getting irritated and saying he wasn't going to go on stage. It was getting to the point where they were being told prepare for a riot. 

The show went from around 11:30pm to 2am. We waited outside trying to meet Axl like we were a couple of fan girls until 3am but gave up because it was so damn cold out. The next day I looked on this board and saw someone posted a pic of Axl signing his Rebel jacket at 3:15am :facepalm:

• Haha 1

Toronto 2010 - Trekked through a snow storm which took me 4 1/2 hours to get to Toronto. Long wait for Guns, the usher who stood next to me looked nervous and actually said, "I hope you guys don't riot."

Toronto 2016 - Bubbles and his girlfriend were standing behind me in the PIT. Big commotion for a minute, and then she tried to get in front of me. Wasn't having it. I think they eventually retreated as people began to recognize him.

Toronto 2017 - Chaos outside the venue. They didn't know where to send VIP and where to send PIT ticket holders. Different venue staff kept telling us different things. Talked with Jarmo a little bit when we got inside. Slash threw me his pick during the show  :drool:

Seattle Kingdome 1992.  Motorhead opened and was great.  Metallica played for 2.5 hours and rocked.  Where's GNR?  A 2.5 hour wait between Metallica and GNR was what happened.  Fans were starting to get pissed after about an hour and a half.  I thought Axl was gonna bail and not take the stage.  Luckily he did, and apologized for taking too long to get there, he and the band had just discovered why Washington is the "EverGREEN" state.  Then they played for damn near 3 hours.  What a show from all three bands.

Edited by BadApples87

I was also at the 1993 show at ARCO Arena in Sacramento when Duff got knocked out by a bottle that got thrown on the stage.  Damn shame because it was a really good show up to that point.  They did the acoustic set with the pizza delivery and all that stuff.  Thought for sure a riot was about to ensue, after Axl threw his mic down and said they need to find who did it so they can kick his ass. We got outta general admission and bailed.

Fast forward to 2004 when I actually met Duff in person in Las Vegas.  I told him I was at that show.  He kinda chuckled and said, yeah I don't remember much from that show.

There's footage on youtube for the bottle incident.

Edited by BadApples87
  • Like 1