What was Offsrpings beef with GnR?

Does anyone know?  There was the whole thing when they considered naming their album "Chinese Democracy You snooze you lose."  But long before that, in the limewire days, I had downloaded a bootleg of The Offspring where Dexter teased a cover, Noodles played the opening riff of SCOM, (to an enormous pop, fyi) and Dexter was like "Fuck that, they suck!" This is years before the Snooze you lose thing.

If this needs to be moved to a different sub-forum, I'm sorry.

2 things come to mind about that

1) When Axl got his hair braided in the early aughts, the lead singer of Off Spring was already known for his signature braids. They were identical hair do's. When Offspring threatened to call their album "Chinese Democracy; you snooze you loose" The singer also said in the press that 'if you copy my haircut, I'll copy your album title.'

2) I swear I remember a different band starting SCOM and stopping, saying it sucks. Limp Bizkit is coming to mind. (I could be totally wrong about this)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Does anyone know?  There was the whole thing when they considered naming their album "Chinese Democracy You snooze you lose."  But long before that, in the limewire days, I had downloaded a bootleg of The Offspring where Dexter teased a cover, Noodles played the opening riff of SCOM, (to an enormous pop, fyi) and Dexter was like "Fuck that, they suck!" This is years before the Snooze you lose thing.

If this needs to be moved to a different sub-forum, I'm sorry.

Obvious innit, bands that consider themselves coming from some sort of a punk sensibility often take a dim view to the likes of Guns n Roses and like to ridicule them a bit and it works in the other direction too, I remember Eddie Van Halen say once when talking about the highly politicized Clash 'what bands like The Clash don't understand and what a lot of these bands don't understand is that you can't take life so damn seriously honey!'.  Its just a bit of light ribbing, not a lot more.  Guns n Roses occupy the strange position of being sort of passe right from their inception, something to do with the juxtaposition of the safe mainstream and the cutting edge underground, they were never and have never really been the 'cool' band to be into.  But thats OK, you can wear that right if you know how and Guns often did...and just as often did not.  They were so of that passe ilk that even big mainstream bands of the time took the piss out of them a bit.  Its nothing to be taken ever so seriously, what matters end of the day is the work. 

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, soon said:

1) When Axl got his hair braided in the early aughts, the lead singer of Off Spring was already known for his signature braids. They were identical hair do's. When Offspring threatened to call their album "Chinese Democracy; you snooze you loose" The singer also said in the press that 'if you copy my haircut, I'll copy your album title.'

2) I swear I remember a different band starting SCOM and stopping, saying it sucks. Limp Bizkit is coming to mind. (I could be totally wrong about this)

Limp Biszkit played th opening Riff of scom at Rock am Ring in the early 2000s, because gnr cancelled their Performance at the Festival... They were joking around... 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

If it was Limp Bizkit I'm sure that it really stung Axl coming from a rock icon like Fred Durst.

At least later Durst made it up to Axl when Durst reunited Guns N' Roses! :lol:

(vid of Durst original claim about brokering the Guns regrouping seems to have vanished, but its referenced here!)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ZODIAC said:

Limp Biszkit played th opening Riff of scom at Rock am Ring in the early 2000s, because gnr cancelled their Performance at the Festival... They were joking around... 

It was the Foo Fighters...

8 hours ago, soon said:

You're thinking of Linkin' Park. They did a piece of it until it became obvious that the members didn't know the changes, the doofus DJ then exclaimed "alright, enough of that shit."

I think the Offspring were just in a camp of people who were watching Axl try and make his comeback without any original members and were offended at the notion. This was right around 2001, so the exposure he was getting was beginning to dawn on people after VMAs. One newer rock band trying to stand on the head of an old one, is as deep as it seems, to me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, soon said:

He cut his hair and spiked it then...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

No beef, Axl said he liked the message of one of their songs but outside of that didn’t think much of them. 

Axl said during the Eddie Trunk interview he liked their song from the movie Orange County, which was this song:

It's fascinating that multiple bands have done this.  I know the SCOM riff has been made fun of  because of its simplicity, I did not know this was like "a thing." 

I have no idea if it's possible for me to find that clip, I do know I found it on limewire looking for GnR leaks and it came up. It was an audio clip, and not the greatest quality.  This was before I had even found this site (possibly before it existed.) it's too bad, because I would have brought it up.

• Like 1

Ok now this is weird - Chester says something like "we play this out of love because they're here".

Rock im Park/Rock am Ring 2001 lineup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_am_Ring_and_Rock_im_Park

June 1-3 2001    Blackmail, HIM, Anastacia, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Radiohead, Alanis Morissette, Kid Rock, Godsmack, OutKast, Reamonn, Hed PE, Mudvayne

GNR were indeed supposed to play that festival on the 1st and 3rd (first shows of their cancelled 2001 European tour):

http://www.gnrontour.com/setlistalm01.htm

06.01.01 - Rock Im Park Festival, Frankenstadion, Nürnberg, Germany
opening acts: Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Linkin Park, 3 Doors Down
notes: This show was canceled due to an illness with guitarist Buckethead.

06.03.01 - Rock Am Ring Festival, Eifel, Nürburgring, Germany
opening acts: Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Linkin Park, 3 Doors Down
notes: This show was canceled due to an illness with guitarist Buckethead.

Did GNR cancel at the last minute, or was Chester just out of the loop and thought they were still headlining?

First time I've ever considered that they were actually in Germany and ready to play

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Obvious innit, bands that consider themselves coming from some sort of a punk sensibility often take a dim view to the likes of Guns n Roses and like to ridicule them a bit and it works in the other direction too, I remember Eddie Van Halen say once when talking about the highly politicized Clash 'what bands like The Clash don't understand and what a lot of these bands don't understand is that you can't take life so damn seriously honey!'.  Its just a bit of light ribbing, not a lot more.  Guns n Roses occupy the strange position of being sort of passe right from their inception, something to do with the juxtaposition of the safe mainstream and the cutting edge underground, they were never and have never really been the 'cool' band to be into.  But thats OK, you can wear that right if you know how and Guns often did...and just as often did not.  They were so of that passe ilk that even big mainstream bands of the time took the piss out of them a bit.  Its nothing to be taken ever so seriously, what matters end of the day is the work. 

I don’t believe other bands took issue with GNR until UYI era because of the global success of the band. It was easy to take shits at GNR. How many bands have actually accomplished global success 4 years into their career? And Green Day likes and appreciate me GNR. I believe most musicians would say GNR were the last great rock band. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

It's fascinating that multiple bands have done this.  I know the SCOM riff has been made fun of  because of its simplicity, I did not know this was like "a thing." 

I have no idea if it's possible for me to find that clip, I do know I found it on limewire looking for GnR leaks and it came up. It was an audio clip, and not the greatest quality.  This was before I had even found this site (possibly before it existed.) it's too bad, because I would have brought it up.

It's only simplistic if you play it wrong, it's actually pretty difficult to nail precisely.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lame ass security said:

It's only simplistic if you play it wrong, it's actually pretty difficult to nail precisely.  

It is in no way intended as a personal knock on the one of the most iconic riff off all time, I've just heard various comments about the simplicity of it.  I know Slash has even kind of dissed in the past.  It's just something I've heard frequently, it's impossible black magics to me.

Edited by DeadSlash

7 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

SMASH had a few great tunes. But when they started churning out utter crap at the turn of the millennium like Pretty Fly, original prankster....game over.

Im glad im not the only one who always thought that. Needless to say the lead singer has put on some weight. 

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

Im glad im not the only one who always thought that. Needless to say the lead singer has put on some weight. 

I've always thought that The Offspring had a few good songs, and re-released them multiple times.  I don't know if anyone else has payed attention, but a shit ton of their songs sound like a direct rip off of another one of their songs.

6 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I don’t believe other bands took issue with GNR until UYI era because of the global success of the band. It was easy to take shits at GNR. How many bands have actually accomplished global success 4 years into their career? And Green Day likes and appreciate me GNR. I believe most musicians would say GNR were the last great rock band. 

I don’t.