What was Offsrpings beef with GnR?

3 hours ago, Edward Nygma said:

Is it me or did The Offsprings popularity take a nosedive sometime in the last decade? You don't seem to hear from them much.

correct. Splinter (that album that was a result of this "beef with Axl") was released in 2003 and since then, they only released 2 albums, the first one being quite weak and the other one just above average. the new album is reportedly almost done, hard to say how much of that is exactly true.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

It is in no way intended as a personal knock on the one of the most iconic riff off all time, I've just heard various comments about the simplicity of it.  I know Slash has even kind of dissed in the past.  It's just something I've heard frequently, it's impossible black magics to me.

Yeah, it's a weird little piece.  It's not difficult per say as far as the notes go.  The difficulty is more in getting the proper tone.  I think it was Adler who said he's heard countless guitarists play the riff but only Slash plays it right.

Edited by lame ass security

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

You don’t need to be to disagree.

The quote you replied to was "most musicians would say that GNR were the last great rock band" - so you kind of do need to be a musician to disagree! 

You sound like Dan Quayle welcoming his fellow astronauts!

7 hours ago, DK6 said:

The quote you replied to was "most musicians would say that GNR were the last great rock band" - so you kind of do need to be a musician to agree!

No i don’t, I can agree or disagree with whoever I like, what because someone made a comment about something musicians allegedly say I am not allowed to comment? :lol:

15 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

No i don’t, I can agree or disagree with whoever I like, what because someone made a comment about something musicians allegedly say I am not allowed to comment? :lol:

Who was the last great rock in your opinion? And musicians don’t allegedly say it. I’ve heard on record over the course of many years many influential and successful musicians state that as their opinion. 

Guns n' Roses is the last "great" rock band in a sense that they where the last enormously successful band that fits the idea what a stereotypical rock band is like -  both in terms of music and behavior.  Trashy, messed up, seedy, don't give a fuck attitude.  Everything that has come after them seems much more safe and sanitized (or if there are bands that are equally fucked up as Gn'R, they didn't reach the same level of success)

If we use the word "great" to describe the quality of their music... that is a whole another discussion... 

• Like 3

Who was the last great rock in your opinion?

I'm not sure, I'd have to think about it.  I guess its one of those things where there are a number of lines of reasoning and you more or less have to pick one that suits your feelings.  There are those that argue that when a genre stops growing you look to its last bout of substantial growth and then go 'OK, THATS the last the great one' (obviously liking them is a pre-requisite), there are those that say that the last ones to fulfill a certain archetype admirably are the last great one (which I suppose GnR could fit the bill for), there are others who judge this shit by popularity, others still who measure it by the last ones to expand on it in an influential manner.  I'm probably not the best person to answer the question, perhaps you're better positioned, I know you like more rock music than me, I mean its worth noting I don't like bands like Pink Floyd, not particularly fond of Zep or Aerosmith or Van Halen, perhaps I'm not even qualified to judge, perhaps you're better positioned for that.  To me though, The Stooges are a potential shout, for the simple fact that they took rock to a place where...it kinda couldn't and didn't get any better, at least for me.  And there are a great many who agree with me.  Since I was never much into the big hair, big solos brigade who make up a sizeable portion of what others consider to be great rock bands I'm a bad person to judge. 

Where GnR are fall short, to me, in the field of great rock bands is that they weren't really doing anything new, there was nothing fresh or cutting edge about them, they were more familiar and derivative, which isn't a bad thing, to some point everything is derivative of something.  The Stones are almost entirely derivative and I think the sun shines out of their bumholes.  I'm sorry, I'm not really answering your question very well, I guess the answer is that there are a number of answers, some say Oasis are the last great rock band, I don't really agree.  The Happy Mondays maybe?  I think they're a pretty solid shout, definitely unique, had all the insanity and drugs and rebellious shit, did some reasonably new shit with it.  I dunno, perhaps my ticklist criteria is bullshit, perhaps the most important thing about music is how you feel it and you many people feel it, thats a power and a greatness in and of itself maybe.  By that rationale though a lot of people were feeling The Spice Girls.  I guess my answer is that I can't really settle on an opinion in this matter.  The Sex Pistols perhaps?  They were pretty explosive, rebellious, controversial, cracking tunes, made a strong singular statement and then exploded.  Seems like a pretty solid full stop on it.  But then they were pretty derivative musically too, though the entire package was reasonably unique.

1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Who was the last great rock in your opinion?

depends on how you define "rock", and how you define "great rock". there still are many "great rock" bands, but with the whole music scene shift towards different styles, you probably can't compare them to stuff like 70's or 80's stadion rock bands.

On 23/03/2019 at 10:18 PM, Len Cnut said:

Obvious innit, bands that consider themselves coming from some sort of a punk sensibility often take a dim view to the likes of Guns n Roses and like to ridicule them a bit and it works in the other direction too, I remember Eddie Van Halen say once when talking about the highly politicized Clash 'what bands like The Clash don't understand and what a lot of these bands don't understand is that you can't take life so damn seriously honey!'.  Its just a bit of light ribbing, not a lot more.  Guns n Roses occupy the strange position of being sort of passe right from their inception, something to do with the juxtaposition of the safe mainstream and the cutting edge underground, they were never and have never really been the 'cool' band to be into.  But thats OK, you can wear that right if you know how and Guns often did...and just as often did not.  They were so of that passe ilk that even big mainstream bands of the time took the piss out of them a bit.  Its nothing to be taken ever so seriously, what matters end of the day is the work. 

Disagree dude, Guns were the main 'cool' band to be into during a good few years period, they ruled the planet and left everyone else in their shadows. The were immense, but got so big that people began to hate them and they began to hate each other. Axl's behaviour was the main reason GnR alienated the world - let's be honest about it.

Edited by DownUnderScott

17 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

Disagree dude, Guns were the only 'cool' band to be into during a good few years period, they ruled the planet and left everyone else in their shadows. 

I weren't saying it was my opinion necessarily but rather the opinion of a certain cross-section.  See Guns came to prominence in a time where a really strong underground rock scene had been bubbling just beneath the surface for the last 10 years so it was kinda strong in numbers, as evidenced by the fact that bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam and such blew up so quickly in the early 90s...and that kinda demographic were never gonna think much of a band like GnR, they kinda represent everything that was tired and passe about rock n roll. 

Edited by Len Cnut

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I weren't saying it was my opinion necessarily but rather the opinion of a certain cross-section.  See Guns came to prominence in a time where a really strong underground rock scene had been bubbling just beneath the surface for the last 10 years so it was kinda strong in numbers, as evidenced by the fact that bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam and such blew up so quickly in the early 90s...and that kinda demographic were never gonna think much of a band like GnR, they kinda represent everything that was tired and passe about rock n roll. 

For sure, spot on there. I always thought that was such a shame, I mean Axl even expressed strong positive support for a lot of those bands and they treated him with contempt. Now that they've all matured, or killed themselves, there's probably some that are still alive that actually respect Axl and what Guns achieved. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

Ha! I know right. I always thought each time one of those guys knocked themselves off that at least Axl is a survivor and has had a tremendous strength of character to deal with and generally defeat his demons. 

Axl wins by attrition :lol:  I'm actually a huge fan of some of the bands of that era, especially the ones who predate the 'grunge' era, which I thought was a lot of hype, Nirvana were amazing as were Mudhoney but generally speaking I kinda like the guys they liked a fair bit more than them themselves, if that makes sense. 

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think Guns are probably about the uncoolest band in the world - probably just behind Kiss and Crue. 

Idk, a think they were afforded a respect a lot of those 80's bands weren't because musically, it was night and day. Also, today there seems to be some resurgence of respect since Slash and Duff came back, like their new friendly relationship with the Foo Fighters.

11 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

So.. what are good examples of cool bands then? 

At that time Stone Roses, Sugercubes, Bleach era Nirvana (before they blew up too big and started to annoy everyone), Sonic Youth, Happy Mondays, etc. 

I got into Guns 1991ish and - and I'm really not exonerating myself here as I was a fan of Guns and not some of the ''cool'' bands - it was like you had leprosy haha. There was the early rave scene also.

Rose had his little kegs on and Slash soloing on cliff tops and million pound music videos and brass bands and epic ballads. No one considered this cool haha. It was like Led Zeppelin circa 1976. The cool kids were watching Johnny Rotten.  

Edited by DieselDaisy

53 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Axl wins by attrition :lol:  I'm actually a huge fan of some of the bands of that era, especially the ones who predate the 'grunge' era, which I thought was a lot of hype, Nirvana were amazing as were Mudhoney but generally speaking I kinda like the guys they liked a fair bit more than them themselves, if that makes sense. 

Me too. I liked the Seattle bands or grunge bands a lot so Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains etc and even they all hated the term grunge. But I too liked the bands that paved the way for them like Sonic Youth, punk bands, Mudhoney, Mother Love Bone and even here in Australia we had Cosmic Psychos and Beasts of Bourbon. It was a no-nonsense sound as well as image -the polar opposite of what Axl had GnR become. I'll tell you a cool band though - Slayer. Saw them a few weeks ago and it was an intense and blistering 90 minute set, then a quick wave and off they fuck. No encore, just blow your face off sonically and then see ya' later 😉

33 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

At that time Stone Roses, Sugercubes, Bleach era Nirvana (before they blew up too big and started to annoy everyone), Sonic Youth, Happy Mondays, etc. 

I got into Guns 1991ish and - and I'm really not exonerating myself here as I was a fan of Guns and not some of the ''cool'' bands - it was like you had leprosy haha. There was the early rave scene also.

Rose had his little kegs on and Slash soloing on cliff tops and million pound music videos and brass bands and epic ballads. No one considered this cool haha. It was like Led Zeppelin circa 1976. The cool kids were watching Johnny Rotten.  

I've said that often on this forum and its never really noted, when I was growing up it was laughable to be into Guns n Roses, I think I was the only fan in my school and I got slaughtered for it.  Everyone was into rave and drum n bass and jungle.  Its worth noting though that English tastes have always been more cutting edge and we're generally a very small island so perhaps the world at large was a fair deal different.  I was into The Pistols and Happy Mondays and Sonic Youth and Nirvana too though. 

Edited by Len Cnut