What was Offsrpings beef with GnR?

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, I guess I see your point.  And with grunge you kinda have the reference point but without it you would kinda struggle.  But then that works without about everything else too.  To be Mudhoney exemplify the grunge sound.  The thing genres is they ain't really strict rules, at least with some genres.  I could name three punk bands and each one of those motherfuckers would sound wildly different.

I agree about Mudhoney, but they sound very different from Pearl Jam's first record for example. A lot of bands don't fall into one category, like Metallica was really only metal in the beginning, but then with the Load records they drifted towards other genres. Maybe that's how you can specify grunge... all kinds of rock genres blended together. Nirvana were kinda metal during the Bleach era, then with Nevermind it was more pop-punk-hard rock all at once. 

14 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I agree about Mudhoney, but they sound very different from Pearl Jam's first record for example. A lot of bands don't fall into one category, like Metallica was really only metal in the beginning, but then with the Load records they drifted towards other genres. Maybe that's how you can specify grunge... all kinds of rock genres blended together. Nirvana were kinda metal during the Bleach era, then with Nevermind it was more pop-punk-hard rock all at once. 

Every time a new genre comes out that people can draw some kind of geographic specificity from they give it a new name, be it grunge out of Seattle, punk out of New York/London, the new rock movement, its really a marketing tool if you think about it, the Manchester bands too, then that little wave of early 00s bands with The Strokes, The Vines, The White Stripes, its kinda like the positioning of a maypole for a generation to dance around, its salesman schtick. 

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Every time a new genre comes out that people can draw some kind of geographic specificity from they give it a new name, be it grunge out of Seattle, punk out of New York/London, the new rock movement, its really a marketing tool if you think about it, the Manchester bands too, then that little wave of early 00s bands with The Strokes, The Vines, The White Stripes, its kinda like the positioning of a maypole for a generation to dance around, its salesman schtick. 

I agree, same with the Britpop thing... Blur and Oasis were musically speaking very different, same goes for a lot of those bands that were called Britpop.

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Hey, let's create our own genre of music.  

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

I agree, same with the Britpop thing... Blur and Oasis were musically speaking very different, same goes for a lot of those bands that were called Britpop.

Honestly, those are the only two bands I can think of off the top of my head that fall into that genre.  Btw, I think Champagne Supernova is an all timer, great song.

Edited by lame ass security

I get that loads of cliches existed with glam rock, hair metal & hard rock & heavy metal back in the 80''s and early 90's but I think you can pick through most Grunge bands also...AIC resonated with me the most because overall I liked there sound compared to the other bands, even though AIC leaned towards metal a bit more...although they don't seem to get the same props as Nirvana & Pearl Jam. 

On 3/23/2019 at 7:18 AM, Len Cnut said:

Obvious innit, bands that consider themselves coming from some sort of a punk sensibility often take a dim view to the likes of Guns n Roses and like to ridicule them a bit and it works in the other direction too, I remember Eddie Van Halen say once when talking about the highly politicized Clash 'what bands like The Clash don't understand and what a lot of these bands don't understand is that you can't take life so damn seriously honey!'.  Its just a bit of light ribbing, not a lot more.  Guns n Roses occupy the strange position of being sort of passe right from their inception, something to do with the juxtaposition of the safe mainstream and the cutting edge underground, they were never and have never really been the 'cool' band to be into.  But thats OK, you can wear that right if you know how and Guns often did...and just as often did not.  They were so of that passe ilk that even big mainstream bands of the time took the piss out of them a bit.  Its nothing to be taken ever so seriously, what matters end of the day is the work. 

I don't know. I remember a time in the late 80's when GNR were more than cool... they were basically rock personified. Everyone and I mean everyone had their album and was playing it. Now, after 1991, that sort of started to die off--at least in the US anyway--but to borrow a line from the man himself... there was a time.

I did some punk shows in the early/mid 90s. Guns was so ...forgotten, or ‘out of touch’... by then in my world. Offsrping’s first album was great, but their airplay in the mainstream was a turn-off to the niche sub/street level respect that other punk/ska bands lived in. Offspring was never not a KROQ band in LA.