What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

11 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

What would be an interesting experiment is how many people would wear a skrewdriver shirt without any research if they were told it was "cool" :lol:

What kind of screwdriver?  I would never wear a t shirt with a standard screwdriver, it would have to be a Philip's. But I would definitely wear one with vodka and OJ on it.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the rockin songs as much as anyone, and have since 1988.  But I also like ballads.  I like relationship songs.  I like the strings in the songs that feature them.  Yes, it makes them sound like a boy band.  That's not a bad thing to everyone, though.

A big part of their success was that the music was varied and the different types of songs brought in different audiences.  Sure, there are some bands that can survive on the same uptempo rockers over and over but most of the mainstream acts have branched off into other genres at some point.

Usually when I defend these types of songs in rock message boards, I am called a female, a homosexual man, a eastern European spy, or a transgendered person.  I have no problem with those people/lifestyles, but I am none of those things and I don't see how liking some lighter, more mellow music makes me one of those people.

I also love the rockin, dark relationship songs like My Michelle and Used to Love Her.  But it isn't unpopular to like those.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:09 PM, Graeme said:

See, it seems to me that on this board, there's always been much less respect from people who prefer the Appetite/Illusions/NITL line-ups towards the people who like the CD line-ups than from the people who enjoyed the CD line-ups towards those who liked the rest. 

You were around in 87-93, and you had a great time as a fan of the band... Cool, great. I'm glad. I can respect that, in fact I have a lot of respect for it.

If someone dares to say that they had a great time at a show in '02 or '06, that one of the CD line-up was their favourite member of the band or that a song from CD is one of their favourites, roll on the :lol: reacts, the :confused: emoticons or the verbal implications that they're not a "real" fan, or that they're some sort of musical retard.

It's like those opinions are unacceptable and the people who hold them need to be told that they're WRONG.

Obviously, it has its roots in the fact that the people who enjoyed the CD years still likely have a lot of appreciation for the overall legacy of the band, whereas the people who are devotees of the older/reunion line-ups are generally much more hateful or disparaging of the line-ups without Slash and Duff, but it's a real buzzkill in this section now, to be honest.

Notice, Len and Soul and I didn't agree on everything in our discussion earlier in the thread (far from it, in fact) but the discussion was still fun because no-one was trying to belittle the tastes, experiences and opinions of anyone else. 

I think if you were too young or not yet alive when AFD and UYI came out, then you would prefer Chinese Democracy and that era of the band. 

One of the reasons an artist changes their sound is to attract the contemporary music-listening audience of the day, most of whom are young.  Young people drive the music industry, and that's always been the case.  

Def Leppard fans hate everything after Pyromania, because they stopped sounding "metal".  Metal is the only legitimate form of music to some. 

17 minutes ago, SympathyFortheAxl said:

One of the reasons an artist changes their sound is to attract the contemporary music-listening audience of the day, most of whom are young.  Young people drive the music industry, and that's always been the case.  

Do you think some bands change the music style they are playing because what they are listening to and enjoying is changing as well.

People will generally write the type of music they want to hear or are listening to.

It's the chicken or the egg type of question really.

Do they change their style to try and fit in or because they are enjoying listening to that style of music?

I'd much rather think they are writing the music they like. I would hate to think of a band trying to just write what they think a contemporary audience wants to hear - like some kind of business decision.

The most unpopular opinion I have pertains to most every rock band and most fans.

They treat the original band members as a personality cult.  I think Buckethead and Bumblefoot are technically superior to Slash, and I think most other people do to, but they just don't care - because they weren't original members.  They don't feel NuGNR is legitimate because those guys aren't Slash or Duff.  Yes, I realize fans have other legitimate reasons for not liking CD, since it is stylistically different.  However, obviously, a lot of fans never really gave NuGNR a chance.  It is spelled out pretty clearly in this thread (and many others on this site).

KISS fans don't like Vinnie Vincent and Mark St John because, even though they are technically superior players, they are not Ace. 

Van Halen fans would rather hear Dave over Sammy - but who is technically the better singer?

I think people should judge the music for the end product, not because of who is pictured in the album photos.  Not because the band members did or did not know each other since high school.  I think hard rock fans value "authenticity" over the quality of the finished product.  But to them, it's only authentic if certain people worked on the album.  People in this thread are saying CD was 95% an Axl solo project which is delegitimizing the contributions of Buckethead, Bumblefoot, Paul Buckmaster, Caram Costanzo and all the other talented artists and producers who worked on the album over it's long gestation.  

I don't think pop music fans give a shit who the bassist is on any given album.  Yes, pop music is more a creation of the "production", but so are blockbuster Hollywood movies.  So is opera.  So is classical music.  More complicated production doesn't make any art form any more or less legitimate.  Everything is different.  Chinese Democracy was more "produced" than AFD.  But the real problem fans have is that it wasn't "produced" by the people they wanted on the album.  The young poster boy studs they had on their walls since 1988 next to their Stephanie Seymour poster were gone.

Free Axl!!!

2 hours ago, SympathyFortheAxl said:

I think if you were too young or not yet alive when AFD and UYI came out, then you would prefer Chinese Democracy and that era of the band. 

I was born in 2000 and still prefer the classic era. I love CD too though! 

Band shirts, piercings, tats, biker jackets etc used to be an identifier for like minded folk back in the day. Now it’s fucking fashion. Or if your feeling “alt” that day. 

Fuck that, I’ll proudly wear my Motörhead shirt into my 70s and growl at these imitators from my front porch while playing No sleep till hammersmith at piercing levels.

Another racket I hate is wearing a shirt form a gig you weren’t at....

All who do this shall be smote. 

It is known. 

• Like 1

I don't know if it's "opinion", but... I don't even know the names of all these musicians who were part of GNR in 1991-current Era... Not that I care. IMO there were only six musicians in history of Guns'n'Roses, other were just hired mercenaries...

15 minutes ago, acor said:

I don't know if it's "opinion", but... I don't even know the names of all these musicians who were part of GNR in 1991-current Era... Not that I care. IMO there were only six musicians in history of Guns'n'Roses, other were just hired mercenaries...

I'm with you as far as knowing everyone, just when I thought I had a grasp of all the musicians someone else would pop up.😄

Don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but it is my honest opinion on why Axl disbanded NuGuns in 2014:

Axl only agreed to the reunion to avoid having to put a new NuGNR album out. Such is his aversion to releasing new music, he would rather swallow his pride and hook up with Slash and Duff for an easy payday and to allow more easy touring than commit to the work and effort of doing another album. By the time NuGuns were touring in 2014, they had already been on the road for five years, playing the same setlists to diminishing ticket sales and public demand. The only way they could've continued playing respectable venues is if they had reignited public interest by putting out a follow up to Chinese Democracy. Axl is too lazy to work on new music and wanted to carry on milking the GNR brand live, hence the reunion.

Edited by Towelie

20 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but it is my honest opinion on why Axl disbanded NuGuns in 2014:

Axl only agreed to the reunion to avoid having to put a new NuGNR album out. Such is his aversion to releasing new music, he would rather swallow his pride and hook up with Slash and Duff for an easy payday and to allow more easy touring than commit to the work and effort of doing another album. By the time NuGuns were touring in 2014, they had already been on the road for five years, playing the same setlists to diminishing ticket sales and public demand. The only way they could've continued playing respectable venues is if they had reignited public interest by putting out a follow up to Chinese Democracy. Axl is too lazy to work on new music and wanted to carry on milking the GNR brand live, hence the reunion.

That's feasible but i don't know if it's Axl being lazy or he's just uninspired. Is it a case of can't or won't ? 

15 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

That's feasible but i don't know if it's Axl being lazy or he's just uninspired. Is it a case of can't or won't ? 

Uninspired and lazy, I expect.

Hopefully Slash will inspire him to be creative again. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Band shirts, piercings, tats, biker jackets etc used to be an identifier for like minded folk back in the day. Now it’s fucking fashion. Or if your feeling “alt” that day. 

Fuck that, I’ll proudly wear my Motörhead shirt into my 70s and growl at these imitators from my front porch while playing No sleep till hammersmith at piercing levels.

Another racket I hate is wearing a shirt form a gig you weren’t at....

All who do this shall be smote. 

It is known. 

Fuckin amen!!! 😃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

Uninspired and lazy, I expect.

Hopefully Slash will inspire him to be creative again. 

I don't know if that's the case, there's actually evidence to the contrary... Even in 2014, there was an interview with some person who worked at the Joint/Hard Rock, claiming Axl had played new music for people there (she mentioned a piano ballad, possibly dedicated to his mother, but it was definitely a ballad).

I wouldn't say Axl is outright uninspired or lazy, I just think he learned his lesson from Chinese Democracy. I bet he still periodically works on music, but just doesn't want to deal with the stress of releasing it; I don't think he'd ever release another GNR album without Slash on it. It's just not worth fighting with the label, dealing with critics/'detractors', etc. I think finding a way to work Slash into his already 'completed' songs is the real obstacle at this point.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

In my opinion, Axl isn't either; he's mostly insecure about releasing new music.

To be honest blackstar, he didnt seem that in the 90s just before the illusion records came out. I remember he was doing radio interviews and saying that these records need to come out and that he was looking forward to it . Hence the 3 to 4 hour shows the band did before the albums were released, as warmup gigs. It seemed there was a personal push and enthusiasm to get the music out to the public. So im on the fence with him being insecure. I personally think the way CD was being reviewed and the issues he had with the label have impacted him emotionally to a degree.

Edited by Sydney Fan

I love AFD but 1/4 the album has a few of my least favorite songs- Think about you, you’re crazy and anything goes. I was listening to Shotgun Blues today and wondering what it’d sound like on AFD. It has that punk vibe of its so easy. It’s all hypothetical but I probably never would have recovered with an album of 

WTTJ

ISE

NIGHTRAIN

OTGM

BROWNSTONE

PARADISE CITY

MY MICHELLE

YOU COULD BE MINE

SCOM

SHOTGUN BLUES

YOURE CRAzy acoustic-electric

rocket queen 

Coincidently I think Matt Sorum made you could be mine the song it was so who knows! 

Edited by Sprite

16 hours ago, History2010 said:

I was born in 2000 and still prefer the classic era. I love CD too though! 

I was born in '97 and I'm a bigger fan of the CD era. AFD/UYI are cool and are some of my favorite albums but I liked the direction that CD went in. I hope any future releases continue to incorporate strings/piano into the songs.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

To be honest blackstar, he didnt seem that in the 90s just before the illusion records came out. I remember he was doing radio interviews and saying that these records need to come out and that he was looking forward to it . Hence the 3 to 4 hour shows the band did before the albums were released, as warmup gigs. It seemed there was a personal push and enthusiasm to get the music out to the public. So im on the fence with him being insecure. I personally think the way CD was being reviewed and the issues he had with the label have impacted him emotionally to a degree.

I think he has a tendency to be insecure and it's increased after he didn't achieve what he thought he should. He wanted to surpass Appetite with the Illusions and I think he believed he could (hence the enthusiasm you mention) -  and probably he believed it for a while after the Illusions were released, too. Then he wanted NuGnR to be equally great as the classic band. And it's not enough even if he thinks in his mind that he has achieved his creative goals; he wants the world to acknowledge it too, i.e. the respective success and acclaim, and that didn't happen. He set the goals too high, which isn't wrong in itself, but for Axl can be paralyzing afterwards. Slash, Izzy and Duff don't have these issues. Neither do many other musicians who have made peace with the fact that they reached a peak of creativity, success or acclaim in the past which they'll never surpass, and they move on making the best music they can and simply releasing it. But not Axl.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I was born in '97 and I'm a bigger fan of the CD era. AFD/UYI are cool and are some of my favorite albums but I liked the direction that CD went in. I hope any future releases continue to incorporate strings/piano into the songs.  

What album did you listen to first? I've always heard that it matters what you listen to first. I started with all the big AFD hits and went from there.