What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

On 29/03/2019 at 2:59 PM, Graeme said:

Nah, I disagree with you all. I thought things like the Rock Am Ring Nightrain solo where Ron was just throwing everything at it were jawdropping, and there were a lot of solos like that in his first year in the band where you had this guy who could do it all getting to treat these classic rock songs like a blank canvas and just go wild (as well as replicate the records note for note when he wanted to). I don't know, maybe I like musicians to seem a bit more human and a bit less theatrical, I found Bucket tough to relate to.

Couldn't agree more, I quite liked his early twat solos when he was using a Les Paul.

Excellent solos from Bucket on CD tho

If The World has one of the best guitar solos

4 hours ago, jamillos said:

If the World, Catcher in the Rye, and Scraped are not that great of a song and easily could have been replaced by some of the leaks and especially by Oh My God, which definitely should have been on the album, whether as the 99 version or re-recorded. 

You better watch your mouth about If the World 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

- Guns N' Roses ended in 1993

- Guns N' Roses are no longer a band. They are a brand. 

- Rose (and sycophants) destroyed Guns N' Roses. He effectively destroyed his own band through being a complete arse.

- Izzy was the heart and soul of Guns N' Roses

- The skull artworks are embarrassing and make Guns look like a gormless heavy metal act. 

- the ''trilogy'' music videos are excruciatingly embarrassing

- The NITLT is corporate crap.  

- The sole reason Chinese took so long was Rose, and fans blaming Ezrin, RTB and all these (very talented and respected) industry people is fan myopia. 

- 2001-2 were the only two interesting and exciting years of nugnr. Rose destroyed that band the same as he destroyed the old band.

I like the skull artwork for appetite its a fitting cover but it's literally merch people ever fucking wear

I liked the Don't Cry video

21 hours ago, WhazUp said:

He definitely isn't to blame for everything - I am sure Slash and Duff were at times hard to deal with due to being high and/or drunk so often and probably had their moments of being irrationally hard to deal with or just in general people who were having a difference in vision.  Based on what we know about the breakup though, in my opinion Axl was a lot of it though :lol:

I think it was a complicated mix of egos, mental illness, drug addiction, creative differences, hangers-on influencing people, shitty representation, and having way too much success.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, registra said:

Unpopular opinions about Axl, money and the GNR brand. Sorry for the long post, at work so willing to take any distraction.

• I think the idea that Axl only cares about money is wrong, and I'm actually unsure if he cares about it to a great extent at all. I wasn't alive at the time, but from what you all say, it seems that Axl was one of the biggest stars ever in his prime. Despite that, when I first started listening to GNR in 2016(SCOM cause it was on my ipod), I thought Axl Rose was Steven Tyler. Even as a fan who now keeps up on all the things GNR does, Axl never seems to appear off the stage, so I'm sure you can understand why I had no idea who he was. If you think about other stars of Axl's scale; Kanye West, Taylor Swift(who has far more corporate and anti-consumer ticket selling practices then GNR have ever had or will), Rihanna. They all have incredibly valuable and profitable brands that extend far beyond their music(fashion, makeup products, etc.). Even looking at the Kardashians, who don't have any particular talent, one can see the value to be made in just sponsorship, ads etc. A lot of people don't folllow them, but they still know who they are. Axl Rose as a person is non-existent beyond the three hours he goes on stage. He doesn't do interviews, never does talk shows, has done one commercial ad(Budweiser), which is probably why I didn't know who he was. Axl as a brand doesn't exist, and he does absolutely nothing to make money of his own brand which could be incredibly valuable. If he actually cared about money, he exist from a brand perspective beyond the 3 hours he'd performs a night.
  • I also think the consensus on here that Axl decides(or is even aware of for that matter) the products that the GNR brand goes on is far fetched. Seems a bit ridiculous to me that people on here think Axl is consulted personally every time they want to put a GNR logo on a jigsaw, Christmas ornament or a pair of socks. I presume they have a merchandise manager that makes all choices in that regards

In regards to the GNR brand and TB running of it, I kind of get confused. I don't think it's as clear cut as some people on here say it is, and I think we'd actually be happier as fans if the goal was money. It's clear that it's being run as a corporation, and I think that whole GNR Santa ad was pathetic. There obviously trying to make money off these, but I'd love to know how much they actually make, very little, relatively speaking. If they only cared about money, there's much better ways to go about making it(maybe they are actually so bad as managers that they can't do that). Some potential ways:

• Perfect Crime: A Netflix Special.  Think about how much money GNR would make if they sold the footage of the UYI tour to Netflix, and had it released as a 10 episode tv series. If it's good and dramatic enough(which I think/hope it would be) it would make them one of the most talked topics globally(remember how Stephen Avery, Ted Bundy and other topics were talked about after Netflix Specials). 
  • Could sell a load of classic shows on Netflix or Blue Ray. Bear in mind, the Ritz 1988 is a bootleg, and has never actually been sold. Surely if it was about money they'd sell that right away
  • A movie similar to The Dirt(the Motely Crue one). I wasn't able to find out how much money that made, but a lot more then Christmas decorations

I guess I'm just confused about TB being only about money, while most people seem to take it as fact. Based on their commercialization of GNR, they seem to be. But there's so many better ways for them to make money(while also keeping fans happier) that they could pursue but haven't done(and probably never will). If it was only about money I think we'd see a lot more content.

Yeah, Axl is first and last an artist. Not in the sense that he is good at releasing his art, but that people's opinion of his art, and that it is released on his terms as he wants it to be, is the most important thing to him. That's why he endlessly tinkers with his art (spending months doing vocals on his songs while being okay with a few takes when he sings on other bands songs), and why it is so hard for him to release anything. He obsesses over how the music will be received, and he takes criticism very seriously. 

27 minutes ago, registra said:

I guess I'm just confused about TB being only about money, while most people seem to take it as fact. Based on their commercialization of GNR, they seem to be. But there's so many better ways for them to make money(while also keeping fans happier) that they could pursue but haven't done(and probably never will). If it was only about money I think we'd see a lot more content.

my guess is everything is fair game except when it comes to new studio material. That is the only area where I think Axl won't compromise on for money and it doesn't make that much money anyway anymore. So it's possible Axl doesn't really care about what kind of merch is sold, that's Fernando's thing and he'll do the same live show with minor changes (new cover, reintroduce a couple of UYI tunes) and will charge a lot of money for a ticket for 4 maybe 5 years without really focusing on making an album.

So perhaps not strictly about money, but it seems like he's not exactly in a hurry to release any new music. We know there are finished unreleased tunes and we know Slash, Duff, and the rest of this talented line up are up for it and yet nothing gets released and Axl won't even talk about new material. The band functions as a nostalgia act and nothing more.

Edited by Rovim

On 19/12/2019 at 9:37 AM, DieselDaisy said:

- The sole reason Chinese took so long was Rose, and fans blaming Ezrin, RTB and all these (very talented and respected) industry people is fan myopia. 

I actually agree. I have a hard time believing that CD was worth more to Interscope unfinished than it was released. At least for the first few years of the project. 

As for Ezrin and RTB. Yes, both are famous for doing lavish productions that require hundreds or thousands of hours of studio time. 

But Ezrin and RTB have always (apart from CD) made sure that a project gets finished, when all is said and done. 

21 hours ago, registra said:

Unpopular opinions about Axl, money and the GNR brand. Sorry for the long post, at work so willing to take any distraction.

• I think the idea that Axl only cares about money is wrong, and I'm actually unsure if he cares about it to a great extent at all. I wasn't alive at the time, but from what you all say, it seems that Axl was one of the biggest stars ever in his prime. Despite that, when I first started listening to GNR in 2016(SCOM cause it was on my ipod), I thought Axl Rose was Steven Tyler. Even as a fan who now keeps up on all the things GNR does, Axl never seems to appear off the stage, so I'm sure you can understand why I had no idea who he was. If you think about other stars of Axl's scale; Kanye West, Taylor Swift(who has far more corporate and anti-consumer ticket selling practices then GNR have ever had or will), Rihanna. They all have incredibly valuable and profitable brands that extend far beyond their music(fashion, makeup products, etc.). Even looking at the Kardashians, who don't have any particular talent, one can see the value to be made in just sponsorship, ads etc. A lot of people don't folllow them, but they still know who they are. Axl Rose as a person is non-existent beyond the three hours he goes on stage. He doesn't do interviews, never does talk shows, has done one commercial ad(Budweiser), which is probably why I didn't know who he was. Axl as a brand doesn't exist, and he does absolutely nothing to make money of his own brand which could be incredibly valuable. If he actually cared about money, he exist from a brand perspective beyond the 3 hours he'd performs a night.
  • I also think the consensus on here that Axl decides(or is even aware of for that matter) the products that the GNR brand goes on is far fetched. Seems a bit ridiculous to me that people on here think Axl is consulted personally every time they want to put a GNR logo on a jigsaw, Christmas ornament or a pair of socks. I presume they have a merchandise manager that makes all choices in that regards

In regards to the GNR brand and TB running of it, I kind of get confused. I don't think it's as clear cut as some people on here say it is, and I think we'd actually be happier as fans if the goal was money. It's clear that it's being run as a corporation, and I think that whole GNR Santa ad was pathetic. There obviously trying to make money off these, but I'd love to know how much they actually make, very little, relatively speaking. If they only cared about money, there's much better ways to go about making it(maybe they are actually so bad as managers that they can't do that). Some potential ways:

• Perfect Crime: A Netflix Special.  Think about how much money GNR would make if they sold the footage of the UYI tour to Netflix, and had it released as a 10 episode tv series. If it's good and dramatic enough(which I think/hope it would be) it would make them one of the most talked topics globally(remember how Stephen Avery, Ted Bundy and other topics were talked about after Netflix Specials). 
  • Could sell a load of classic shows on Netflix or Blue Ray. Bear in mind, the Ritz 1988 is a bootleg, and has never actually been sold. Surely if it was about money they'd sell that right away
  • A movie similar to The Dirt(the Motely Crue one). I wasn't able to find out how much money that made, but a lot more then Christmas decorations

A 10 episode netflix special with bootlegs? Holy crap that would be beyond amazing!! And Axl doesn't care about money or fame that much, that's for sure. He doesn't like attention. Otherwise he could easily brandises himself as Ozzie.

44 minutes ago, Zinia_29 said:

A 10 episode netflix special with bootlegs? Holy crap that would be beyond amazing!! And Axl doesn't care about money or fame that much, that's for sure. He doesn't like attention. Otherwise he could easily brandises himself as Ozzie.

Personal opinion: that would suck. It would have to include commentary or some kind of personalised story, which makes no sense as it would have to be fiction.

You gonna include the coke sniffing, alcohol-puke floor licking and groupies etc? No? Then what's the point - it's sandbagged fiction. If you do, then it's likely gonna alter the way this band is perceived for 95% of the world and make the GNR staff (musicians et al) relive the worst moments of that madness.

Just give us the gigs.