What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

On 12/19/2019 at 4:37 AM, DieselDaisy said:

- Guns N' Roses ended in 1993

- Guns N' Roses are no longer a band. They are a brand. 

- Rose (and sycophants) destroyed Guns N' Roses. He effectively destroyed his own band through being a complete arse.

- Izzy was the heart and soul of Guns N' Roses

- The skull artworks are embarrassing and make Guns look like a gormless heavy metal act. 

- the ''trilogy'' music videos are excruciatingly embarrassing

- The NITLT is corporate crap.  

- The sole reason Chinese took so long was Rose, and fans blaming Ezrin, RTB and all these (very talented and respected) industry people is fan myopia. 

- 2001-2 were the only two interesting and exciting years of nugnr. Rose destroyed that band the same as he destroyed the old band.

So what about some of the best performances of '06, '08, '09, '10? I get it, they seemed like a tiresome band, and Ashba is quite annoying; but, at times they sounded pretty good-especially for a band that only had a keyboardist and singer left from the original group. Not many bands could survive something like that, but i definitely agree with most of your ideas. It's an image marching to the corporate beat of money and branding--not nearly like KISS (who've been doing it since the mid-'70s), but still seems like they've sold out 

On 12/20/2019 at 12:26 PM, registra said:

Unpopular opinions about Axl, money and the GNR brand. Sorry for the long post, at work so willing to take any distraction.

• I think the idea that Axl only cares about money is wrong, and I'm actually unsure if he cares about it to a great extent at all. I wasn't alive at the time, but from what you all say, it seems that Axl was one of the biggest stars ever in his prime. Despite that, when I first started listening to GNR in 2016(SCOM cause it was on my ipod), I thought Axl Rose was Steven Tyler. Even as a fan who now keeps up on all the things GNR does, Axl never seems to appear off the stage, so I'm sure you can understand why I had no idea who he was. If you think about other stars of Axl's scale; Kanye West, Taylor Swift(who has far more corporate and anti-consumer ticket selling practices then GNR have ever had or will), Rihanna. They all have incredibly valuable and profitable brands that extend far beyond their music(fashion, makeup products, etc.). Even looking at the Kardashians, who don't have any particular talent, one can see the value to be made in just sponsorship, ads etc. A lot of people don't folllow them, but they still know who they are. Axl Rose as a person is non-existent beyond the three hours he goes on stage. He doesn't do interviews, never does talk shows, has done one commercial ad(Budweiser), which is probably why I didn't know who he was. Axl as a brand doesn't exist, and he does absolutely nothing to make money of his own brand which could be incredibly valuable. If he actually cared about money, he exist from a brand perspective beyond the 3 hours he'd performs a night.
  • I also think the consensus on here that Axl decides(or is even aware of for that matter) the products that the GNR brand goes on is far fetched. Seems a bit ridiculous to me that people on here think Axl is consulted personally every time they want to put a GNR logo on a jigsaw, Christmas ornament or a pair of socks. I presume they have a merchandise manager that makes all choices in that regards

In regards to the GNR brand and TB running of it, I kind of get confused. I don't think it's as clear cut as some people on here say it is, and I think we'd actually be happier as fans if the goal was money. It's clear that it's being run as a corporation, and I think that whole GNR Santa ad was pathetic. There obviously trying to make money off these, but I'd love to know how much they actually make, very little, relatively speaking. If they only cared about money, there's much better ways to go about making it(maybe they are actually so bad as managers that they can't do that). Some potential ways:

• Perfect Crime: A Netflix Special.  Think about how much money GNR would make if they sold the footage of the UYI tour to Netflix, and had it released as a 10 episode tv series. If it's good and dramatic enough(which I think/hope it would be) it would make them one of the most talked topics globally(remember how Stephen Avery, Ted Bundy and other topics were talked about after Netflix Specials). 
  • Could sell a load of classic shows on Netflix or Blue Ray. Bear in mind, the Ritz 1988 is a bootleg, and has never actually been sold. Surely if it was about money they'd sell that right away
  • A movie similar to The Dirt(the Motely Crue one). I wasn't able to find out how much money that made, but a lot more then Christmas decorations

I guess I'm just confused about TB being only about money, while most people seem to take it as fact. Based on their commercialization of GNR, they seem to be. But there's so many better ways for them to make money(while also keeping fans happier) that they could pursue but haven't done(and probably never will). If it was only about money I think we'd see a lot more content.

I agree with your total assessment. Axl has not been motivated by money for most of his career.  Even Izzy, who many here believe to be a Demi-god stated that Axl doesn’t care about the money. Axl’s behavior during the UYI tour proved cash wasn’t a factor in his decisions. And continuing with Nu-Guns to the point of being able to sell out 3k seat theaters proves cash is not a factor for him as an artist. And, I’m certain Axl has no idea about the merch being sold, not does he care. It has to be a small part of the pie. 

3 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I agree with your total assessment. Axl has not been motivated by money for most of his career.  Even Izzy, who many here believe to be a Demi-god stated that Axl doesn’t care about the money. Axl’s behavior during the UYI tour proved cash wasn’t a factor in his decisions. And continuing with Nu-Guns to the point of being able to sell out 3k seat theaters proves cash is not a factor for him as an artist. And, I’m certain Axl has no idea about the merch being sold, not does he care. It has to be a small part of the pie. 

That sounds right on the money with Axl. Hes the most reclusive "celebrity" out there, which sucks for the fans since we wanna hear from him but I highly respect him for it, he doesnt do all that bullshit publicity stunts other people do, hes only in the public eye 3 hours a night and I'm lowkey fine with that. Like you said I highly doubt hes part of the GNR "brand" in a marketing sense, he doesnt advertise GNR's shit on Instagram or Twiiter compared to other rockstars (Paul Stanley, etc...).

I think "the spahetti incident" is the last hooray of the old attitude, which was lost a bit with the illusions. For me, the band guns n roses ended with "I don't care about you - fuck you". What better way to go out as a band like guns n roses? after that, the band became a joke on every level.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Yeh but that’s cover songs.... I don’t even count that.

it's my second favorite guns record.

early stones / beatles were all covers too, and they're regarded as classics now. not to mention elvis.

Edited by action
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, action said:

it's my second favorite guns record.

early stones / beatles were all covers too, and they're regarded as classics now. not to mention elvis.

True, you got me there.

but guns version of a cover album isn’t iconic....then you’ve got the dimwits who think gunners write KOHD.  Surprisingly a lot!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

True, you got me there.

but guns version of a cover album isn’t iconic....then you’ve got the dimwits who think gunners write KOHD.  Surprisingly a lot!

i'm not ashamed to name spaghetti my second favorite guns record. it's got some killer riffs and vocals, and none of the fluff that plagued the UYI's. I can't say a bad thing about  it, really. I say it's my second favorite, but really what I mean is, it's pretty much my go-to guns record these days. Down on the farm, new rose, i don't care about you, ... damn I love this record. imagine they play I don't care about you in concert these days, how badass would that be?

Edited by action

28 minutes ago, action said:

i'm not ashamed to name spaghetti my second favorite guns record. it's got some killer riffs and vocals, and none of the fluff that plagued the UYI's. I can't say a bad thing about  it, really. I say it's my second favorite, but really what I mean is, it's pretty much my go-to guns record these days. Down on the farm, new rose, i don't care about you, ... damn I love this record. imagine they play I don't care about you in concert these days, how badass would that be?

I’ll admit that Axl hit his peak vocally on TSI, shame he didn’t use that on a genuine guns album in 94 or so.

he lost it.

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

If Dave Navarro wasn't fucked up on smack, a full Guns album with him could have rivaled UYI in quality. Could have pushed Axl in a very interesting musical direction.

Dave is a shit noodler.   Not iconic. Nothing really...   doesn’t he do reality shows?   He is in dumping ground of non talented ppl.’ 

3 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Dave is a shit noodler.   Not iconic. Nothing really...   doesn’t he do reality shows?   He is in dumping ground of non talented ppl.’ 

I think he did one reality show, yeah but I'm listening to Jane's Addiction right now and can almost hear how Axl and Dave could have worked really well together. I'm not surprised Axl wanted him to join Gn'R. A line up with Robin and Dave in it would have been perfect.

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think he did one reality show, yeah but I'm listening to Jane's Addiction right now and can almost hear how Axl and Dave could have worked really well together. I'm not surprised Axl wanted him to join Gn'R. A line up with Robin and Dave in it would have been perfect.

It would have been interesting, but they’re all past their prime now. Navarro needs a great lyricist and he found that but imo he’s just a generic guitarist. But smart when it comes to career moves.  

On 12/20/2019 at 6:26 PM, registra said:

I think the idea that Axl only cares about money is wrong, and I'm actually unsure if he cares about it to a great extent at all. I wasn't alive at the time, but from what you all say, it seems that Axl was one of the biggest stars ever in his prime. Despite that, when I first started listening to GNR in 2016(SCOM cause it was on my ipod), I thought Axl Rose was Steven Tyler. Even as a fan who now keeps up on all the things GNR does, Axl never seems to appear off the stage, so I'm sure you can understand why I had no idea who he was. If you think about other stars of Axl's scale; Kanye West, Taylor Swift(who has far more corporate and anti-consumer ticket selling practices then GNR have ever had or will), Rihanna.

No offense, but it's hard to take someone seriously defending Axl Rose when they admit they didn't even know who he was until 2016. Some of us have been following GNR year in, year out, for decades and have personally witnessed the transformation of Axl from the great frontman of the early 90s, to the enigmatic, rock n roll recluse of the 00s tinkering away on his magnum opus, to the sad man he is today, creatively dried up, trotting out virtually identical setlists for the past two decades and not giving a damn about delivering subpar performances.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Towelie said:

No offense, but it's hard to take someone seriously defending Axl Rose when they admit they didn't even know who he was until 2016. Some of us have been following GNR year in, year out, for decades and have personally witnessed the transformation of Axl from the great frontman of the early 90s, to the enigmatic, rock n roll recluse of the 00s tinkering away on his magnum opus, to the sad man he is today, creatively dried up, trotting out virtually identical setlists for the past two decades and not giving a damn about delivering subpar performances.

axl seriously needs to get rid of the medication pills and get healthy again. he looks worse than 1977 elvis

On 12/19/2019 at 3:37 AM, DieselDaisy said:

- Guns N' Roses ended in 1993

- Guns N' Roses are no longer a band. They are a brand. 

- Rose (and sycophants) destroyed Guns N' Roses. He effectively destroyed his own band through being a complete arse.

- Izzy was the heart and soul of Guns N' Roses

- The skull artworks are embarrassing and make Guns look like a gormless heavy metal act. 

- the ''trilogy'' music videos are excruciatingly embarrassing

- The NITLT is corporate crap.  

- The sole reason Chinese took so long was Rose, and fans blaming Ezrin, RTB and all these (very talented and respected) industry people is fan myopia. 

- 2001-2 were the only two interesting and exciting years of nugnr. Rose destroyed that band the same as he destroyed the old band.

was gonna say pretty much every thing you wrote there so thanks glad others aren't blind , i don't think don't cry was a bad video though 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

1 hour ago, action said:

axl seriously needs to get rid of the medication pills and get healthy again. he looks worse than 1977 elvis

Elvis was 42, Axl is 58. And telling somebody to get rid of the medication pill is really unsympathetic. He owes us a lot, I know, but we shouldn't talk about him like that.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zinia_29 said:

Elvis was 42, Axl is 58. And telling somebody to get rid of the medication pill is really unsympathetic. He owes us a lot, I know, but we shouldn't talk about him like that.

so you're saying it would be more sympathetic telling Axl should keep taking pills? 

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

Not everyone was around to follow him during the 80's and 90's(unfortunately), and when you were following him during the 2000's I was a kid. Rock and "old" music wouldn't usually be go to usually so it's not like I was listening to all the artists from the 80's and still didn't know who Axl was. I hadn't been exposed to GNR in anyway that I was aware, so I guess I didn't have any reason to expect to know him really. 

And regardless of any of that, nothing I really said was an opinion and you don't need to take me seriously. The reality is that Axl doesn't do brand deals, sponsorship, public appearances or anything that most stars do to generate personal income. If he cared about money, he'd be doing that. And if band members are saying he doesn't care about money, then he probably doesn't. It's not so much defending Axl as thinking that the consensus on here that Axl only cares about money doesn't seem to be based on any evidence.

Edited by registra
  • Like 1