What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

17 minutes ago, Axlhbk8793 said:

I dont like Knocking on Heaven's Door.... at all.

I think most GNR fans are pretty indifferent to it.

Just a popular one with the casuals and the band seem to think it's a crowd pleaser, just because it has a call and response thing going on, when most people around me during the Guns shows I've attended looked bored off their tits during the tediously-long 12+ minute KOHD performances.

35 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I would love it if there were some way for GNR to put out a record and no one have any idea who's playing what. It'd be interesting to see what honest opinions people had if they couldn't rely on the biased "this person or that person isn't GNR" crutch. 

I don't know who plays what on all the albums they released.  I don't really care. I either like the song as a whole or I don't. The Chinese era people were all great for whatever they contributed musically.  It was only the stage get up that was embarrassing for some in my opinion. Great post by the way.

Edited by gnfnrs1972

1. I've never once considered One in a Million as racist or derogatory, and am sick of how the debate/discussion/point is always bought up at any available opportunity by journos.

I can understand why it's easy to claim it as both those things, I've just never seen it or interrupted it in that light in my mind. I generally won't speak up about my opinion on this matter as its easy to paint me with the same brush by association.

2. LIES version of You're Crazy is fantastic and my preference over AFD's track.

3. Slash is brilliant at what he does, yet is still overrated as a guitarist.

4. Tommy's voice (think it was him, but might have been Finck) during live performances of the song Chinese Democracy often sounded better than Axl's.

5. I'm often biased towards Axl's voice, but in reality - more often than not, - he is well below par whenever I've seen him live post 93. Just don't like to admit it :P

6. Spaghetti Incident is a great, heavy, & fun album. Since I Don't Have You makes me cringe and imo shouldn't have been on the record.

7. The band has too many ballads, which slow live shows down drastically cutting the bulk of them out would result in a more powerful show. Patience should never be in the encore.

8. The bands live shows seem very generic and cookie cutter, and have been since the later UYI tours.

Great thread OP!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I would love it if there were some way for GNR to put out a record and no one have any idea who's playing what. It'd be interesting to see what honest opinions people had if they couldn't rely on the biased "this person or that person isn't GNR" crutch. 

The 'surprise release' route is the way to do that... no credits, no booklet, just the digital files with the cover art. People wouldn't know who plays on what songs until about 8 weeks after they'd already heard the songs. (Assuming they take pre-orders for physical copies when they release the album digitally)

11 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

1. I've never once considered One in a Million as racist or derogatory, and am sick of how the debate/discussion/point is always bought up at any available opportunity by journos.

I can understand why it's easy to claim it as both those things, I've just never seen it or interrupted it in that light in my mind.

I find your post modernist reading of the lyrics to be truly fascinating.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yeah, but if they did that now everyone would assume it was Frank drumming and so on. It'd be hilarious to see everyone shit all over the drums, assuming it was Frank then have it turn out to be Matt and have them all praise it lol

Yea it would be entertainingp to see people trying to figure out who's playing what... kinda like when Better originally leaked and everyone was speculating about who wrote it, then Axl flat out said it was a 'Robin song' a couple months later. 

• Like 1

Here are a few:

• UYI is peak GNR. While releasing 1 album of the best material would have blown away AFD, even the weaker tracks are largely pretty good.
  • Chinese Democracy is about 2 more conventional rock tracks away from being a great album. Add polished versions of Hard School and State of Grace instead of If the World and This I Love and its there. Those two tracks ruin the album's pacing.
  • A few tracks notwithstanding, Slash hasn't released anything worthwhile since leaving Guns. Not a single album that is above a 6/10.
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, RussTCB said:

This, although the out of tune noodling would make Slash pretty easy to pick out.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Interesting, what gives you that inclination?  

rock rio 2011 along with the rock n roll hall of fame diss cringe open letter along with a few other things but mostly the downhill nature of his voice, the acdc thing, he mentioned that he could not drink during that leg due to the demands of the songs, which was very revealing because his voice became tremendous 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr