What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

On 6/21/2020 at 9:11 AM, Axlr0s37 said:

In all fairness, apart from a few ashba cock ups. They put on one hell of show in 09-10. Axl seemed to be mostly firing on all cylinders. Their version of Whole lotta rosie and riff raff kicked arse. Think that was the forum in '11 though

I went to the 2011 Forum show! Good stuff. I miss Ron. Instrumental (pun intended) in getting Don't Cry, Civil War, and Estranged back into the live rotation. He really came into his own with the band from 2009 on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

Something must have happened between Puerto Rick 2010 and Rock In Rio 2011.... Axl was a different person since that. And the end of Patience at RIR 2011 shows it

It was crazy the change in Axl between those shows. 

I always put Patience down to being in that weather with so much going wrong as a result. If that show was in better weather with Axl sounding like he did in 2010, it would have been hailed as a grand return of GNR. 

Big events being recorded just don't seem to go right for Axl in any shape or form. Mostly not by his own fault. 

Bridge School is a prime example. You can seriously tell Axls throat and chest are screwed from Strep throat. But it was an ideal stage size for Axl voice to shine and it did at certain points. You could tell Axl really dug the show, such a shame. 

• Like 1

On 23. 6. 2020 at 12:36 AM, LikeADog93 said:

I like Scraped and Riad. Fight me. 

I like Riad, and I like Shotgun Blues. 

On 23. 6. 2020 at 1:22 AM, The Holographic Universe said:

But, do you believe they should have been on the album versus songs that have been leaked from that session?

I believe the leaks were mostly intended for the mythical "CD 2". If all the best stuff was on ChinDem, the "CD 2" would have sucked eggs. 

Edited by jamillos

On 22/06/2020 at 8:22 PM, The Holographic Universe said:

But, do you believe they should have been on the album versus songs that have been leaked from that session?

With exception of Hardschool that I would change for Rhiad... There would be none of the links in the album in my opinion.... They're just erratic songwriting... Copy and paste of parts of songs that don't necessary mix well together...

In the end... Ezrin was right

Edited by Beto 22

19 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

The guitar solo in “Perhaps” is one of the best GNR solos, and for me I would place it in at least the top 5.

I agree, it fits the song perfectly. I hope they don't have a different solo (by Bumblefoot, Slash or whoever) on the eventual release. 

11 hours ago, Versüs said:

One In A Million/Look At Your Game Girl should receive a remastering and release as a single.

One in a Million is an awesome song. I'm gutted they never remastered it. Even if they only released the track online for those who wanted it. 

I can understand its omission from the AFD/lies Remaster, doesn't mean I'm happy about it. 

17 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

The guitar solo in “Perhaps” is one of the best GNR solos, and for me I would place it in at least the top 5.

You're not alone. I love this solo, I love how it's simple and has a different chord progression behind it. 

Still think it's Robin Finck there. Same tone and style from other songs like TWAT's first solo (also simple and some long notes breathing with feedback).

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion--eh maybe not--but the CD sessions seems like a misadventure of direction from Axl Rose. CD, Better, Sorry, Hardschool, TWAT, IRS, TIL seem like an evolution of Guns N' Roses songs, an evolution that makes sense. Tracks like Oh My God, Shacklers, Riad, silkworms are so thematically different, they almost seem like a different band all together. I'm not suggesting either set of songs should be thrown out or not released. But, ideally, I imagine that Axl could've turned into someone like Jack White; releasing different projects at the same time. CD, i think, is a great album, but man does it have a crisis of identity in the tracks. Some tracks could blend greatly with the back-catalog (not that everything has to sound like Appetite), and then Shacklers gets played... and now were in some quasi-NIN concert. CD is as uneven in theme and genre as UYI. ITW, which i love, doesn't fit in between SOD and TWAT.. Riad and Scraped REALLY stick out between Sorry and Catcher on the album. 

I'm not against industrial music at all, but I just think Axl needed more time to perfect that blend that really some tracks ultimately fall short of, while the songs that do seem to have that blend down--Better is a great example--just fit waaaaaay better (pardon the pun) with the show, themes, and genre of GN'R. I think a really industrial-heavy, experimental album, on it's own, separate from what CD seemed to be thematically, could've really allowed Axl to explore the sound he wanted. Except what we got was a hodge-podge of songs that are over-produced and underdeveloped at the same time (if that makes any sense). 

I would've loved to see CD with

1. Chinese Democracy

2. Better

3. Hardschool

4. If the World

5. I.R.S.

6. The Blues

7. There Was A Time

8. Madagascar

9. Sorry

10. This I Love

Then Axl could've released an album that further introduces the Industrial/Hard rock genre blend he was going for

1. Oh My God

2. Shacklers Revenge

3. Atlas

4. Riad N' the Bedouins

5. Scraped

6. Perhaps

7. Eye on You

8. Quicksong

9. The General

10. Prostitute

or some combination of leaks. 

I think, in this form, CD would've been a lot less jarring, inconsistent, and with material being released--Axl could've gained some momentum--especially considering i think these albums would've been much better received.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Unpopular opinion--eh maybe not--but the CD sessions seems like a misadventure of direction from Axl Rose. CD, Better, Sorry, Hardschool, TWAT, IRS, TIL seem like an evolution of Guns N' Roses songs, an evolution that makes sense. Tracks like Oh My God, Shacklers, Riad, silkworms are so thematically different, they almost seem like a different band all together. I'm not suggesting either set of songs should be thrown out or not released. But, ideally, I imagine that Axl could've turned into someone like Jack White; releasing different projects at the same time. CD, i think, is a great album, but man does it have a crisis of identity in the tracks. Some tracks could blend greatly with the back-catalog (not that everything has to sound like Appetite), and then Shacklers gets played... and now were in some quasi-NIN concert. CD is as uneven in theme and genre as UYI. ITW, which i love, doesn't fit in between SOD and TWAT.. Riad and Scraped REALLY stick out between Sorry and Catcher on the album. 

I'm not against industrial music at all, but I just think Axl needed more time to perfect that blend that really some tracks ultimately fall short of, while the songs that do seem to have that blend down--Better is a great example--just fit waaaaaay better (pardon the pun) with the show, themes, and genre of GN'R. I think a really industrial-heavy, experimental album, on it's own, separate from what CD seemed to be thematically, could've really allowed Axl to explore the sound he wanted. Except what we got was a hodge-podge of songs that are over-produced and underdeveloped at the same time (if that makes any sense). 

I would've loved to see CD with

1. Chinese Democracy

2. Better

3. Hardschool

4. If the World

5. I.R.S.

6. The Blues

7. There Was A Time

8. Madagascar

9. Sorry

10. This I Love

Then Axl could've released an album that further introduces the Industrial/Hard rock genre blend he was going for

1. Oh My God

2. Shacklers Revenge

3. Atlas

4. Riad N' the Bedouins

5. Scraped

6. Perhaps

7. Eye on You

8. Quicksong

9. The General

10. Prostitute

or some combination of leaks. 

I think, in this form, CD would've been a lot less jarring, inconsistent, and with material being released--Axl could've gained some momentum--especially considering i think these albums would've been much better received.  

I agree with you for the most part. Perhaps would be more hard rock, though. Perhaps would have fit on UYI.