Was McCartney replaced?

Ghostie

11 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

No, he wasn't. lol

This.

It did once fascinate me that it was actually a thing. I recommend checking out the series called Rotten Apple on YouTube. The guy even edited snippets of off the cuff McCartney tunes and made them into actual songs - half decent, even though his claims are bonkers.

Edited by Dean

The Paul Death rumors are a fun hole to dive down, but it's basically just a fun fiction story. I had a whole book on it at one point and it was an incredibly fascinating read. Some things were really crazy and some were obviously grasping for straws.

That said the past and current Macca is and has always been the one and only.

Edited by Stiff Competition

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I asked my mom about the whole Paul being dead with the White Album. She never believed it. Her favorite Beatle was John. She loved his peaceful nature and his sense of humor.

You know he was a very aggressive, narky and often violent young man, don’t you?  

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Five Gene Vincents,

Four woofters,

Whereas leather trousers, leather jackets, thats like, the height of heterosexuality is it? :lol:  They were really astute to ditch that look, even in the early 60s it had become passe and old, they would've never became what they became if they'd've stayed dressed like four greasers.  Quite apart from that only 3 of the 5 of em have actually got the leather look there, McCartneys jacket is basically what they were wearing when Epstein got hold of em except that the jacket was all black, still had the velvet collars and that.  The reason they were at the forefront of fashion/culture/music etc was cuz they moved forward, why would you wanna look like Gene Vincent, there already is (or was) a Gene Vincent.  You had to pick the Nehru collars didn't you, the worst suit look they wore :lol:  They were quintessentially British and the greaser thing is a yankified look.  They would've never been taken seriously dressed as greasers, I mean can you imagine them hanging out with the Michael Caines and Connerys of this world, all fuckin' kitted out in perfectly tailored Bond Street suits...and them looking like they just came off the shift at the local garage.  They were already looked down upon somewhat for being scousers.

Edited by Len Cnut

On 3/25/2019 at 11:50 AM, Stiff Competition said:

The Paul Death rumors are a fun hole to dive down, but it's basically just a fun fiction story. I had a whole book on it at one point and it was an incredibly fascinating read. Some things were really crazy and some were obviously grasping for straws.

That said the past and current Macca is and has always been the one and only.

I agree, fun stuff for sure.  Have you ever seen the skit on SNL with Paul and Chris Farley?  Farley brings up the death rumors by asking him "that was, like, a hoax, right?" 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

Hot take: The Beatles are one of, if not THE most overrated band of all-time.

I mean, I like them well enough, but they're not the be-all, end-all, greatest band ever.

Yes they are.  Iits impossible to overrate their influence, the new ground they broke alone, in ways big and small, makes them the most important band that ever existed.  Its difficult to argue against that point whatever you might feel personally about their music.

Edited by Len Cnut

10 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

My biggest problem with them is all of their early fluff material. It's aged horribly.

Give me the Stones over the Beatles any day of the week.

I think a good tune is a good tune forever.  Y'know there's some that argue that bands like The Stooges or The Ramones or The Sex Pistols have a more pronounced influence based on some of what you say, i.e. the early work that aged horribly.  40 years after The Beatles you weren't really getting bands influenced by The Beatles in the sense that you could hear it in their sound so much...The Stooges and The Ramones you can hear the influence of in even new bands today.  I love their early stuff though, I think its joyous, I've never subscribed to this idea that the early stuff was fluff and the later stuff was high art, I think they were very consistent throughout, right at that top level.  In fact I probably listen to their early stuff more because it sounds so fresh and vital and alive.  They are one of few bands that really really really seemed to be enjoying their job, like they sang and played with a sort of joy that is very rare. 

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

I think a good tune is a good tune forever.  Y'know there's some that argue that bands like The Stooges or The Ramones or The Sex Pistols have a more pronounced influence based on some of what you say, i.e. the early work that aged horribly.  40 years after The Beatles you weren't really getting bands influenced by The Beatles in the sense that you could hear it in their sound so much...The Stooges and The Ramones you can hear the influence of in even new bands today.  I love their early stuff though, I think its joyous, I've never subscribed to this idea that the early stuff was fluff and the later stuff was high art, I think they were very consistent throughout, right at that top level.  In fact I probably listen to their early stuff more because it sounds so fresh and vital and alive.  They are one of few bands that really really really seemed to be enjoying their job, like they sang and played with a sort of joy that is very rare. 

I say this as I put on "Past Masters" and listened to "I'm Down" - maybe my favorite Beatles song. One of them, at least.

Keep in mind, I love 50's rock and rockabilly (Elvis, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, etc.) and I dig their takes on that material, so I get what you're saying about a good song being a good song forever. While the early stuff is definitely upbeat, "happy" sounding music, there's just a certain amount of sappiness to it that is hard for me to look past.

13 minutes ago, The Real McCoy said:

I say this as I put on "Past Masters" and listened to "I'm Down" - maybe my favorite Beatles song. One of them, at least.

Keep in mind, I love 50's rock and rockabilly (Elvis, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, etc.) and I dig their takes on that material, so I get what you're saying about a good song being a good song forever. While the early stuff is definitely upbeat, "happy" sounding music, there's just a certain amount of sappiness to it that is hard for me to look past.

I love that shit, I wish more bands  had the balls to write stuff like that, things become awfully one sided, it shows range if anything, you have like I Wanna Hold Your Hand and then like...Yer Blues and all in between.  Also, early on, I love the thing they had, this thing that set them apart from most rock n roll bands where they were like...music afficianados, you could get songs like A Taste of Honey and like, almost like that Tin Pan Alley tunesmith thing where they were so prodigious and such expert craftsmen that you could give them 3 chords and a subject matter and 40 mins and they'll knock out a track thats high in melody and just a perfect catchy pop track.  Harry Nilsson had a bit of that too but there was only one of him.

• Like 1

I would say people who think the Beatles are overrated are just completely oblivious to any musical history. I get them not being someone's favorite band but to say they are overrated is just silly.

They are simply the greatest and most influential band there ever was or ever will be. You'd have almost none of the bands from the last 45 years without them including Sabbath, Soundgarden, KISS, Aerosmith, etc...

They evolved more in 7 years than any other band has done in 30. 

Edited by Stiff Competition
  • Like 1