The Mandalorian (Star Wars TV show)

luciusfunk

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah but then that would defeat the whole idea of Luke being the last Jedi in the ST. Honestly, I hope Grogu walks away from his Jedi path and becomes a full-blown Mandalorian, alongside Din.

Spoiler

They could easily figure something out. There could have been more Jedi- like beings around in The Last Jedi (I know, the title), but so far disconnected from Luke and his school, they would barely count. Like how Luke was considered the last Jedi in the OT even though you had Obi-Wan, Yoda, and now people like Chirrut and Ahsoka and whoever the fuck else dicking around in the new canon. There is no reason Ben should be a concern 20 years into the future. I like your idea that Grogu walks away from the Jedi order eventually. This episode and appearance was awesome, but like it or not, Luke is a flawed being at this point in the timeline. He is crazy powerful and wise, but as he implied in TLJ, he relied on the crutches of what the Jedi were before the purge, flaws and all. He can pass on knowledge and form a bond with Grogu, and they can eventually go separate ways or something in the decades long gap between this and the night Ben turns. No way Disney has their most popular new character, by far, get murdered in a space- school shooting.

Besides, the Mando's story clearly isn't over. He is too popular now and they left a lot of plot points open involving him. In terms of a character arc, I agree with @Powerage5, that you can view it as complete, but he has also taken a step into a much larger purpose potentially. Originally, I wanted The Mandolorian to be a small scale, kind of unobtrusive show where they just get into dumb one- off adventures, but they really knocked the "epic Star Wars" story out of the park this season. It had a great balance of one- off episodes and event episodes, and had a good bridge between all of it. The show is definitely moving away from the short, contained stories and into a more Galactic event with Ahsoka, the New Republic, and Mandalore story all coming together. There will probably be some one- off episodes still, but its moving towards a more GoT approach just with different shows. Since Mando will be back, that means he will surely reunite with the kid at some point.

@ZoSoRose fair points, though I still have mixed feelings overall. Not just about Mando or even starwars, but about pop culture in general. Between this and the multiverse shit that Marvel and DC are both doing now, I just don’t think I can keep up anymore.

Oh well. At least I have that animated R2 and 3PO kids movie to look forward to! Lol

Going back to where @ZoSoRose mentioned the balance of one-off and galaxy-spanning episodes is, season 2 has added a lot more purpose to the one-off episodes so far. Some of the episodes in S1 were completely detached from the story, namely E5 and E6. But S2 has given these episodes a lot more purpose by bringing back Fennec and Mayfeld to serve a greater purpose to the story. The only episode to date that truly feels unnecessary right now is S2E2, the one with the frog lady. But I also love that the morality of the recurring characters is much more grey than black and white. We saw that in S1 with Greef, but it was a lot more apparent in this season. Gideon is really the only character so far that has a completely aligned morality. Even Grogu has shown so dark side tendencies even though he’s mostly a “good” character. Excellent writing both moving forward and in hindsight. 

• GNFNR 1

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Creaky finale. He looks like a waxwork dummy. 

I enjoyed the episode before that however. 

Worst opinion ever.

The only slightly off thing in this chapter is how the ladies seem to prefer to kick bad guys and then shoot them, even if the bad guys are standing there shooting at them lol

4 minutes ago, soon said:

Worst opinion ever.

The only slightly off thing in this chapter is how the ladies seem to prefer to kick bad guys and then shoot them, even if the bad guys are standing there shooting at them lol

SPOILER ALERT

What was up with going on with Luke's head? I have seen better graphics on the spectrum zx. His voice was out of sync with his digital mouth. Dire. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Why does anyone feel like Mandos arc is over? This was one mission he took on. It just took two seasons to complete it. There's a whole other galaxy out here are stuff for him to get involved with. 

I agree theres lots more for Din. I do wonder if the show/group of shows "the Mandalorian" wont feature him as prominently though? I think that the exposition Mayfeld laid out in 15 about identity and creed/belief might be where this is all going?

For example, earlier Bo-Katan mocked Din for not removing his helmet due to his creed. But today in 16 she really, truly contradicts herself when she refuses the dark sabre - her birthright - because of her creed. (At least thats my reading. Im prone to being wrong, lol)

So "The Mandalorian" may not refer to Din the way that at least I myself assumed it did so far? Maybe its in reference to each characters claim to the identity? (and resolving in their retaking mandator as a plurality)

I dunno haha

Yeah I didn’t like how Bo refused to take the darksaber, cause in Rebels (which takes place before this) Sabine gave it to her and she just gladly took it. Maybe Bo feels like she never deserved it cause she ended up losing it to Gideon between Rebels and Mando anyways? And promised herself that she would only take it back if she rightfully earned it this time or something?

EDIT: oh wait I forgot that when Sabine found the darksaber in ruins, it was just sitting on a pile of junk somewhere or something. She didn’t defeat anyone for it, so it technically didn’t belong to her either.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I didn’t like how Bo refused to take the darksaber, cause in Rebels (which takes place before this) Sabine gave it to her and she just gladly took it. Maybe Bo feels like she never deserved it cause she ended up losing it to Gideon between Rebels and Mando anyways? And promised herself that she would only take it back if she rightfully earned it this time or something?

EDIT: oh wait I forgot that when Sabine found the darksaber in ruins, it was just sitting on a pile of junk somewhere or something. She didn’t defeat anyone for it, so it technically didn’t belong to her either.

But you still make a good point, I think. I guess we'll have to see if and how they address that to see if theres continuity between the the two series and the lore? I think youd be correct that Bo's 'need' to earn it would be all the more steadfast after first receiving the Dark Sabre that way.

I always over look something! lol

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Will somebody warn young Luke about becoming this basically?

gif-luke-star-wars-8-3.gif

I just hope we dont see Luke changing Grogus blue-poop nappy :lol:

Really overlong and unnecessary ZoSo Star Wars thoughts incoming,

Spoiler

I am a humongous Luke fanboy. Half of my post count is probably just speculating about Episode VII and Luke's portrayal in the Disney era back in the day. Takes me right back to being a 7- year- old. I am in the minority, but I actually didn't dislike his role in the Sequels. I thought Mark Hamill KILLED it in TLJ, and I ended up thinking his scenes on Crait were some of the best scenes of the saga. I see why others didn't like it, and personally wished he had more to do in TRoS even though he had a nice scene and a peaceful sendoff. That being said, I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that we didn't get one fan-service-overkill-green lightsaber-prime-Luke moment. Fanservice be dammed, aside from a Luke-Han-Leia reunion (how the fuck did that not happen?), that was the thing people wanted more than anything out of the Disney resurgence. Well, thank you to the Mando crew because that was fucking awesome and now that we got it, I am even more at peace with his chronological goodbye in IX.

I thought the build up was just awesome. Seeing the X Wing fly in, then seeing him on the little TV, and then full on green lightsaber. We all knew at that moment who it was. The lightsaber action was ridiculous, he felt powerful and calm. I loved how they had Luke seamlessly using crazy force powers like that pull and slash combo and the crush. Gideon was terrified as soon as he realized who appeared. You felt like this was Luke in his prime, the legend everyone knows. It was also really smart to have him fight droids. Luke hasn't killed a soul on screen since he threw his lightsaber aside in RoTJ like a true Jedi. Yeah, it was like the Rogue One Vader scene, but I think that makes for a really cool juxtaposition. Shout out to the score, too. I love the Force Theme, but god damn is it used all the fucking time now (they did play it for a bit when he took the hood off). I thought the Luke music was great, it felt TV pulpy while also being uplifting. They nailed it imo and went the extra mile having R2 by his side.

When he took the hood off it was admittedly jarring. At first I thought it was a straight up recast, but I could also kind of tell something was up. I didn't even notice Mark's name in the credits. Naturally, I found out right after that it actually was Mark Hamill in some capacity. Going back and seeing MARK HAMILL in the credits, fucking awesome. I was okay with the prospect of a recast, but I will always prefer the actual original actors in some way. If they had a lookalike totally in the role, it would have always had a mental asterisk attached imo. They probably just had Mark do the voice, and made it younger and then used his face or some weird CGI fuckery, but I don't even care. It's more special that it was actually his involvement in some way. Amazing. I still don't need the show to have a lot of Luke, because I do like the Mando and all of his buddies and it is true, as soon as Luke shows up, he takes ALL the focus away. I instantly stopped giving a shit about the darksaber/Mandalore, New Republic, Cloning, Gideon, and even Boba Fett plot-lines as soon as Luke appeared. In the moment, that was perfectly fine because he was really just a plot device in this context. Having him be a regular would also be weird because the CGI face would be more and more noticeable. Like it or not, Luke at this point in the timeline is an imperfect being who makes some of the same mistakes the Prequel Jedi Order did. That means there are many different ways he can build a meaningful connection with Grogu while still having them go separate ways long before Ben Solo turns. I am definitely really invested now to see how Grogu and Mando eventually reunite. I don't think Luke's relationship with Grogu and having Grogu eventually leave Luke has to contradict TLJ in any way. There is absolutely zero chance Grogu dies during the Academy's destruction. That would be asinine, he is far and away the most popular Disney-era character with Mando in second place. There are roughly 20+ years until things go to hell, that is a long time for Grogu to leave Luke and have it make sense.

I initially wanted The Mandalorian to stay small scale and disconnected. I like how it can be episodic where Mando and the kid just fuck off on little sideplots that last an episode. It lets us see the galaxy, and can be refreshing when it isn't the Empire all the time. However, I thought Luke showing up made sense in the context of this story and they nailed the big- picture stuff while properly inserting the characters nerds like me want to see. It is clear that they are opening up the story, and making a "Mando-TV-Universe", and I am excited for it if the quality keeps up. Hopefully Mando still goes on some one-off adventures before getting into the crazy stuff and reuniting with the kid. There are now going to be 4 Mando- related shows going. That is a lot. I would like to see less Imperial shit, I got bored seeing the characters make poses while mowing down 100s of useless troopers. I get its a family show and they can't go off killing the good guys all the time, but some sense of danger would be nice here and there. I don't see the over- the- top numbing action going away, so at least switch up the things they fight or something.

Oh yeah, that post credits scene was a lot of fun. Totally did not expect that. Boba Fett felt closer to his OT self in this episode. I know that is dumb considering he had like 2 lines in the originals, but he was kind of a dick for those 2 lines. So far in The Mandalorian, he has almost been like a rugged  but honorable monk. He was more of an asshole in this episode, and I enjoy the mix of personalities. Looking forward to him and Fennec fucking shit up in his series.

Overall, this season was a blast. Excellent distraction from the hellscape that has been 2020. Thank you, Star Wars for continuing to melt my brain with glorious nostalgia bait.

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • GNFNR 2

My prediction was that Leia would be the one to show. As great as it was to see Luke (though I agree they didn’t do a fantastic job of stitching the face to the body), I was kind of hoping we’d get to see Leia show off her moves considering the last film indicated how she was the superior Jedi to Luke.

I feel this can’t be the end though. Otherwise it wrapped way too quickly. There’s still some stuff left to resolve though I’m not sure how they can make it as emotionally weighty without the kid.

Overall this season was immensely better than the first. Almost all killer, no filler.  Hopefully they keep things up. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

11 minutes ago, downzy said:

My prediction was that Leia would be the one to show. As great as it was to see Luke (though I agree they didn’t do a fantastic job of stitching the face to the body), I was kind of hoping we’d get to see Leia show off her moves considering the last film indicated how she was the superior Jedi to Luke.

I feel this can’t be the end though. Otherwise it wrapped way too quickly. There’s still some stuff left to resolve though I’m not sure how they can make it as emotionally weighty without the kid.

Overall this season was immensely better than the first. Almost all killer, no filler.  Hopefully they keep things up. 

Oh good, we aren't using spoiler tags.

If Carrie was alive, I'd be more for that idea. Since Mark is still thriving, I think it's nice that he got to be a part of this. 

I also think using the Skywalkers in the show has to be done very tastefully. He will obviously show up again at some point since Grogu is with him. Maybe they can do a small Leia-Jedi appearance too. The sky is the limit, now, and I trust the writers not to over use them

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

SPOILER ALERT

What was up with going on with Luke's head? I have seen better graphics on the spectrum zx. His voice was out of sync with his digital mouth. Dire. 

So you’re saying that Luke is now - to quote kenobi about Darth - “more machine than man” 

It was prime Luke, man! I’m happy. Be happy! Lol

6 hours ago, soon said:

So you’re saying that Luke is now - to quote kenobi about Darth - “more machine than man” 

It was prime Luke, man! I’m happy. Be happy! Lol

Digital as heck.

It reminded me of that special edition scene where Han steps on Jabba's tail. 

PS

There was something a bit Michael Jackson about his face. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

21 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I love all this CGI actor business. It's only a matter of time before Cary Grant and Marilyn Monroe resume their film careers.

They’re actually making a new James Dean movie, believe it or not! The best part is that it’s a Vietnam war movie, and Dean had died before that war was even a thing! Lol

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Digital as heck.

It reminded me of that special edition scene where Han steps on Jabba's tail. 

PS

There was something a bit Michael Jackson about his face. 

Again I say - you and those special editions! I dont watch them. Youre like Simon Pegg over there when meanwhile its your choice to consume them! 

And no, there was something Luke f'n Skywalker about his face! :lol:

Might I suggest a tool form the theological tool kit? Seek to understand what is being presented on the page, not what you want to find on the page. And in all wrestling with word and tradition, remember that one goes to the source for the joy and truth that it offers. :headbang: