Jump to content

The Mandalorian (Star Wars TV show)


Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I love all this CGI actor business. It's only a matter of time before Cary Grant and Marilyn Monroe resume their film careers.

They’re actually making a new James Dean movie, believe it or not! The best part is that it’s a Vietnam war movie, and Dean had died before that war was even a thing! Lol

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm excited for the Kenobi series. I've always thought that there was a story to be told there, and Obi-Wan is my favourite Star Wars character. McGregor is at the right age to play him in that time p

Nah, Dank Ferret is a strain of weed 

Fuck yeah! This is f'n Star Wars There's so many awesome action sequences but that Cara Dune hand combat is a banger! So much story revealed! Carl Weathers did a fantastic job directing

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Digital as heck.

It reminded me of that special edition scene where Han steps on Jabba's tail. 

PS

There was something a bit Michael Jackson about his face. 

Again I say - you and those special editions! I dont watch them. Youre like Simon Pegg over there when meanwhile its your choice to consume them! 

And no, there was something Luke f'n Skywalker about his face! :lol:

Might I suggest a tool form the theological tool kit? Seek to understand what is being presented on the page, not what you want to find on the page. And in all wrestling with word and tradition, remember that one goes to the source for the joy and truth that it offers. :headbang:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, soon said:

Again I say - you and those special editions! I dont watch them. Youre like Simon Pegg over there when meanwhile its your choice to consume them! 

And no, there was something Luke f'n Skywalker about his face! :lol:

Might I suggest a tool form the theological tool kit? Seek to understand what is being presented on the page, not what you want to find on the page. And in all wrestling with word and tradition, remember that one goes to the source for the joy and truth that it offers. :headbang:

It was comically bad. You have been smoking some potent weed if you thought Luke's digital face with a dodgy unsynced mouth was decent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2020 at 12:28 PM, Powerage5 said:

First off - does anyone actually know how to use spoiler tags on the new software for the forum? :lol: I’m usually posting from mobile and haven’t figured it out - I’m guessing most of us haven’t either since everyone is trying to talk in very vague terms. 

On my phone when I go to post, there is the "B" for bold above the cursor, on the top tool bar. Next its Italis and Underline icons. Then a partition. Then the emoji icon which will bring all the normal options to drop down. Then another partition. Then a hyperlink icon (which works). Next to the hyper link icon there is a blank space on my screen. Enough room for a few more icons/options. 

I think the absence of the spoiler option is simply an oversight? I think it could be added, as there is enough space for the icon?

On larger screens, spoiler icon is in the same spot as before the update and still works.

On 12/18/2020 at 12:28 PM, Powerage5 said:

We know the Ahsoka and Rangers of the New Republic series’ will take place in the Mandalorian timeline, and it’s been indicated that there will eventually be an Avengers-esque film to tie all the storylines together. So if that’s the case I assume there must be more to Din’s story before that happens. I assume the event that ties it all together is the struggle to reclaim Mandalore. 

I think Din will be involved but perhaps not always featured? And I agree he'll defiantly be there for the final epic adventure.

On 12/18/2020 at 12:28 PM, Powerage5 said:

One last side note about this episode - Din relentlessly searched the wreckage of the Razor Crest for the ball that Grogu liked to play with. That must eventually work into the story somehow, since it was such an obvious part of that episode. 

I thought that was so highlighted in that chapter mostly to lead into the 'force test.' To further build the notion of Din and Grogus attachment?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I preferred season one. I prefer The Mandalorian when it is a base samurai-western scenario, and isn't involving itself in digitaled Skywalkers and Snork nonsense. To be honest I'm not sure I like Boba Fett to be so exposed. Season 2 also produced the only outright dud thus far, the episode in which he is fighting the creature from Tremors

Still very good though. A lot to enjoy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soon said:

I have a 2015 saga box set that has the original theatrical release. Also, isnt disney original theatrical release?

Which edition is this?

As far as I'm aware the only release has been the 2-disc DVD sets from 2006 that had the (mostly) theatrical editions as a bonus feature, albeit formatted incorrectly for modern televisions. They were essentially just rips from the Laserdisc versions.

Disney has just continued using the same 2009 Blu-ray editions from the Lucas years which had even further edits from the 1997 and 2004 versions. The versions on Disney+ have even more edits, and Disney has not yet announced any plans to release the theatrical versions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Which edition is this?

As far as I'm aware the only release has been the 2-disc DVD sets from 2006 that had the (mostly) theatrical editions as a bonus feature, albeit formatted incorrectly for modern televisions. They were essentially just rips from the Laserdisc versions.

Disney has just continued using the same 2009 Blu-ray editions from the Lucas years which had even further edits from the 1997 and 2004 versions. The versions on Disney+ have even more edits, and Disney has not yet announced any plans to release the theatrical versions.

This is all correct. When Lucas sold Starwars to Disney he made sure a clause was included in the contract that would prevent them from doing anything with the original cuts. I don’t think we will see official restorations of those cuts until after he’s dead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Which edition is this?

As far as I'm aware the only release has been the 2-disc DVD sets from 2006 that had the (mostly) theatrical editions as a bonus feature, albeit formatted incorrectly for modern televisions. They were essentially just rips from the Laserdisc versions.

Disney has just continued using the same 2009 Blu-ray editions from the Lucas years which had even further edits from the 1997 and 2004 versions. The versions on Disney+ have even more edits, and Disney has not yet announced any plans to release the theatrical versions.

If you can tell me how to determine the edition, please?

Its called Star Wars: The Complete Saga. Darth on Cover with sabre out, at his side. It's 12 discs. One for each film and one bonus disc per film.

What I can say is that its an official release and states that they are the original theatrical edition. Stating this for each movie, with the date of its release specified,

Quote

Star Wars Episode IV

  • Original Theatrical (1977) Star Wars
  • LEGO Star Wars II Video Game X Box Demoand Trailer

There are no additional CGI. To the best of my knowledge there arent any extra scenes. 

The discs for the OT all have a 2006 copyright on them. The outer box says "TM and C 1977 - 2015"

But I dont actually know when it was released.

 

Edited by soon
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, soon said:

If you can tell me how to determine the edition, please?

Its called Star Wars: The Complete Saga. Darth on Cover with sabre out, at his side. It's 12 discs. One for each film and one bonus disc per film.

What I can say is that its an official release and states that they are the original theatrical edition. Stating this for each movie, with the date of its release specified,

There are no additional CGI. To the best of my knowledge there arent any extra scenes. 

The discs for the OT all have a 2006 copyright on them. The outer box says "TM and C 1977 - 2015"

But I dont actually know when it was released.

 

The various 2015 editions are a repackaging of previous editions. There were several variants released that year to tie-in to The Force Awakens, with the main attraction being the 12-Disc Complete DVD set which is what you have.

The same Vader cover can be found on the complete Blu-ray set from that year, which is just the 2009 discs with different cover art.

Anyways, so what you actually have then is the 2006 DVD editions which were gathered together in that 2015 set. They are still the Special Edition versions, but with the Laserdisc cuts included as a bonus feature which is why it says theatrical version in the list of special features.

Almost unwatchable on those versions because of the formatting errors (ie. The black letterbox bars are actually a part of the image and therefore all you get on a modern TV is a tiny rectangle in the middle of the screen). George Lucas really buried them!

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, James Bond said:

The various 2015 editions are a repackaging of previous editions. There were several variants released that year to tie-in to The Force Awakens, with the main attraction being the 12-Disc Complete DVD set which is what you have.

The same Vader cover can be found on the complete Blu-ray set from that year, which is just the 2009 discs with different cover art.

Anyways, so what you actually have then is the 2006 DVD editions which were gathered together in that 2015 set. They are still the Special Edition versions, but with the Laserdisc cuts included as a bonus feature which is why it says theatrical version in the list of special features.

Almost unwatchable on those versions because of the formatting errors (ie. The black letterbox bars are actually a part of the image and therefore all you get on a modern TV is a tiny rectangle in the middle of the screen). George Lucas really buried them!

 

Thanks for release info!

The Original Theatrical releases I have are indeed in letter box. But the quality is otherwise the same as the special edition dvd in this set to my eyes. :shrugs: Its still really large on my screen and NOOOO cgi :headbang: I dont find anything distracting about it personally. Looks fine to me. Watching it now.

Just to be sure, I just watched the Special Edition DVD and the Original Theatrical release version 'side-by-side' and there is no cgi in theatrical release version. And the sequence is shorter  - Its the real deal! :dance:

I watched them enter Mos Eisley in Star Wars for comparison. Again, video quality appeared the same on my tv screen, just one letter box and one widescreen.

Im happy with my copies of the Original Theatrical Release's, though I suppose a 4k absolutist may not be.

Id say to get this to any one who desires the Original Theatrical Releases. 

 

EDIT: And I just watched Han shoot first!!! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by soon
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, soon said:

Thanks for release info!

The Original Theatrical releases I have are indeed in letter box. But the quality is otherwise the same as the special edition dvd in this set to my eyes. :shrugs: Its still really large on my screen and NOOOO cgi :headbang: I dont find anything distracting about it personally. Looks fine to me. Watching it now.

Just to be sure, I just watched the Special Edition DVD and the Original Theatrical release version 'side-by-side' and there is no cgi in theatrical release version. And the sequence is shorter  - Its the real deal! :dance:

I watched them enter Mos Eisley in Star Wars for comparison. Again, video quality appeared the same on my tv screen, just one letter box and one widescreen.

Im happy with my copies of the Original Theatrical Release's, though I suppose a 4k absolutist may not be.

Id say to get this to any one who desires the Original Theatrical Releases. 

 

EDIT: And I just watched Han shoot first!!! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

If you're cool with those versions, then all the power to you! Personally I couldn't get past the formatting issue, but I do have the 1992 Collector's Box on VHS which is the same transfer as the Laserdisc's that those were taken from. Harmy Despecialized is my go-to these days for convenience and HD quality, but I do own the 2015 Blu-ray set.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add a little to the conversation about Special Edition vs. original theatrical releases.  I remember reading years ago that any release of the original trilogy in it's initial form gets a 50/50 split with George Lucas's ex wife.  So by making special editions she gets none of it.  And that's why it's never sold as "original theatrical release" but rather thrown in as bonus material.  Sort of a loophole around the ex getting money for royalties.  Not sure how the Disney aquisition may have affected anything though.  When they first released the original trilogy on dvd (before BD) they had the original films all as bonus material.  They're cool to watch every now and then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2020 at 5:32 PM, RussTCB said:

Why does anyone feel like Mandos arc is over? This was one mission he took on. It just took two seasons to complete it. There's a whole other galaxy out here are stuff for him to get involved with. 

If Grogu is out it's going to ruin the show for my two daughters.  I agree with you though.  They hit a home run with baby Yoda but there needs to be more to the story than that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swampfox said:

Just to add a little to the conversation about Special Edition vs. original theatrical releases.  I remember reading years ago that any release of the original trilogy in it's initial form gets a 50/50 split with George Lucas's ex wife.  So by making special editions she gets none of it.  And that's why it's never sold as "original theatrical release" but rather thrown in as bonus material.  Sort of a loophole around the ex getting money for royalties.  Not sure how the Disney aquisition may have affected anything though.  When they first released the original trilogy on dvd (before BD) they had the original films all as bonus material.  They're cool to watch every now and then.

I heard the thing about his ex-wife too, yeah. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was true, honestly. Lucas seems like a bitter man who would do something like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it’s worth: it has now been clarified that The Book of Boba Fett, scheduled for Xmas 2021, is a separate series altogether from Mandalorian Season 3. I think when Kathy Kennedy said on the investor call the other day that “the next chapter will debut on Xmas 2021,” she was talking about Boba. I think Mando will be taking a bit of a break now before Season 3, so that the creators can focus on Boba and maybe the other two direct spin-offs (Rangers and Ahsoka).

UPDATE: They just confirmed that Mando Season 3 will go into production right after Boba, so it’ll be released in early 2022, at the same time as Andor and Kenobi. That’s... Gonna be a lot of starwars all at once...

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Really been enjoying the show, it's really nice to have something good that's star wars to watch after the horrid TROS.

Typed something here but don't know how to use spoiler tags so

 

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Spoilers for the ending

 

Spoiler

The reactions to the ending are really predicable and telling to me though. I enjoyed it but c'mon, he swings his sword around a bit and cuts up some robots for 5 minutes and I'm seeing people going "OMG THEY FINALLY DID LUKE RIGHT!!!11"

 

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

For what it’s worth: it has now been clarified that The Book of Boba Fett, scheduled for Xmas 2021, is a separate series altogether from Mandalorian Season 3. I think when Kathy Kennedy said on the investor call the other day that “the next chapter will debut on Xmas 2021,” she was talking about Boba. I think Mando will be taking a bit of a break now before Season 3, so that the creators can focus on Boba and maybe the other two direct spin-offs (Rangers and Ahsoka).

UPDATE: They just confirmed that Mando Season 3 will go into production right after Boba, so it’ll be released in early 2022, at the same time as Andor and Kenobi. That’s... Gonna be a lot of starwars all at once...

Wait, so we have to wait a full year with no new Wars and then there will be four series in a row in roughy one year? Is Bad Batch coming sooner?

Id heard speculation that Andor could be in the fall, before Boba. But I always defer to you.

I have faith they will all be awesome, not worried about that. Just wish I had star wars now! Book three of my novel trilogy doesnt come out for a minute either! 

At the Investor Day, Kennedy said about 'we've all learned about the importance of new content in this (covid) era.' Heavily paraphrased, but something like that iirc? I suppose they are banking heavily on us all still sitting tight at home this time next year. And if we are, we will thank the maker for all this awesome content!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jw224 said:

Spoilers for the ending

 

  Reveal hidden contents

The reactions to the ending are really predicable and telling to me though. I enjoyed it but c'mon, he swings his sword around a bit and cuts up some robots for 5 minutes and I'm seeing people going "OMG THEY FINALLY DID LUKE RIGHT!!!11"

 

Yeah this is really pissing me off too, actually.

58 minutes ago, soon said:

Wait, so we have to wait a full year with no new Wars and then there will be four series in a row in roughy one year? Is Bad Batch coming sooner?

Id heard speculation that Andor could be in the fall, before Boba. But I always defer to you.

I have faith they will all be awesome, not worried about that. Just wish I had star wars now! Book three of my novel trilogy doesnt come out for a minute either! 

At the Investor Day, Kennedy said about 'we've all learned about the importance of new content in this (covid) era.' Heavily paraphrased, but something like that iirc? I suppose they are banking heavily on us all still sitting tight at home this time next year. And if we are, we will thank the maker for all this awesome content!

 

Yeah Bad Batch comes out this spring and then Visions this summer. Both are animated shows. So we will get some new content soon.

EDIT: Also, Andor and Kenobi are already both being filmed and are scheduled for spring/summer 2022, so I’m pretty sure both of those will be before Ahsoka and Rangers.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...