Greta Thunberg's Groupie

Axl's Agony Aunt

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Honestly, you ain't got better things to be getting wound up about than some tree hugger getting some stick? :lol: 

Nah, speaking out in defense of a remarkable young woman who has created a global environmental movement, and who is likely to go down in history as one of the most important people of this century, is one of the better things I have done today. What else should I get wound up about? Music? Movies? The gas prices?

• GNFNR 1

22 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Nah, speaking out in defense of a remarkable young woman who has created a global environmental movement, and who is likely to go down in history as one of the most important people of this century, is one of the better things I have done today.

OK, I take my remarks back, who am I to stand in the way of a robust heterosexual and his sense of fulfillment :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, soon said:

Im sure I skipped more high school then her. And look at me now, Im still the 5th smartest person to post on page 4 so far!

*hurriedly counts number of people on page 4 :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Nah, speaking out in defense of a remarkable young woman who has created a global environmental movement, and who is likely to go down in history as one of the most important people of this century, is one of the better things I have done today. What else should I get wound up about? Music? Movies? The gas prices?

I’ve had more impressive movements after a dodgy vindaloo. :lol: 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

It's only going to grow and gain momentum. But unlike your bowel movements something good is going to come out in the end.

To be honest I didn’t even mean that. I just thought it sounded funny and couldn’t resist a poop joke. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

Greta Thunberg sails across Atlantic for climate change summit

By Daisy Busel - @daisybusel

Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Teenage climate change activist Greta Thunberg will today set sail across the Atlantic to attend UN summits on global warming in New York and Chile.

The 16-year-old will make the trip in a high-tech racing yacht in a bid to avoid planes and cruise ships and cut greenhouse gas emissions.

Miss Thunberg sparked a global movement of young people demanding action against climate change earlier this year after she went on strike from school for the cause.

The Swedish teenager will make her two-week journey in the 60ft Malizia II, which is fitted with solar panels and underwater turbines to generate zero-carbon electricity on board.

Columnist Brendan O’Neill has slated the teenager’s transatlantic crossing as a stunt, saying “no one can afford to do what she’s doing”.

He told talkRADIO’s Julia Hartley-Brewer: “I think Greta Thunberg’s journey across the Atlantic is the longest, most expensive, most ridiculous virtue signal of recent times.

“No one can afford the time of spending two weeks on the Atlantic Ocean and no one can afford the tens of thousands of pounds it would cost to do so.”

However environmental campaigner Dr Keith Baker praised the teenager, arguing: “I think she’s making an important point and if that inspires particularly younger people to really think about the way they’re travelling then that’s fantastic.”

After speaking at the UN Climate Action Summit in New York this September, Miss Thunberg will take a sabbatical year from school to visit Canada and Mexico and attend the UN climate conference in Santiago, Chile, in December - travelling entirely by train and bus.

Read more at https://talkradio.co.uk/news/greta-thunberg-sails-across-atlantic-climate-change-summit-19081431917#kMgqBrdhIgoQ9lxR.99

• Like 1

If someones doing it then at least those people can afford it. Case closed.

People sail the Atlantic all the time. 

Zipping back and forth across the Atlantic is actually how I'd like to spend my early retirement when I take up art theft. :lol:

1 hour ago, Flayer said:

The cult worship this girl receives is downright bizarre. “Listen to the children, they know better!” - said no healthy society in the history of man.

I think that the movement gets so much attention because she is saying what many adults are thinking. Why aren't we doing more? 

I've stowed away, and am planning to jump out screaming when we reach the USA. I can't see Greta, but I can smell something fishy; but that could be fish!

No seriously, I think it's admirable what Greta's doing, and at least she's taking the time and thought to stay true to her beliefs, unlike some others who don't practise what they preach, such as Meghan and Harry!: https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/9724858/prince-harry-megan-markle-private-jet-ibiza-carbon-footprint/

I think even Emma Thompson flying over for the Extinction Rebellion protest was an own-goal, and she could have video messaged support to be more ethical.

2 hours ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

I've stowed away, and am planning to jump out screaming when we reach the USA. I can't see Greta, but I can smell something fishy; but that could be fish!

No seriously, I think it's admirable what Greta's doing, and at least she's taking the time and thought to stay true to her beliefs, unlike some others who don't practise what they preach, such as Meghan and Harry!: https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/9724858/prince-harry-megan-markle-private-jet-ibiza-carbon-footprint/

I think even Emma Thompson flying over for the Extinction Rebellion protest was an own-goal, and she could have video messaged support to be more ethical.

She also got caught later tucking into a champagne and steak lunch flying first-class,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6993173/Actress-Emma-Thompson-spotted-carbon-spewing-BA-plane-jetting-New-York.html

The hypocrisy of these so-called ''elites'' is breathtaking,

https://pagesix.com/2019/07/30/a-listers-flock-to-google-summit-in-private-jets-mega-yachts-to-talk-climate-change/

PS

And I do applaud Greta for practicing what she preaches pertaining to omitting air travel and other such measures, compared to hypocritical swill like Emma Thompson, Prince Harry and Obama.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

She also got caught later tucking into a champagne and steak lunch flying first-class,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6993173/Actress-Emma-Thompson-spotted-carbon-spewing-BA-plane-jetting-New-York.html

The hypocrisy of these so-called ''elites'' is breathtaking,

https://pagesix.com/2019/07/30/a-listers-flock-to-google-summit-in-private-jets-mega-yachts-to-talk-climate-change/

PS

And I do applaud Greta for practicing what she preaches pertaining to omitting air travel and other such measures, compared to hypocritical swill like Emma Thompson, Prince Harry and Obama.

Greta will be able to provide this and  future generations with a good example; setting a martyrdom principle for them to follow. 

I've been supporting environmental causes since youth, but it's always been part-time, and not top of my agenda most of the time. 

I'm still only veggie, and not vegan, but don't claim otherwise; unlike some 'influencers' who've profited from it!

It's been enough to do a little up to now though, such as the McCartneys' meat-free Mondays being the buzzword just a few years ago.

Greta has raised the bar by actually living full-time to her principles. If she sticks at it, she should be a good example for the future...

7 hours ago, Flayer said:

The cult worship this girl receives is downright bizarre. “Listen to the children, they know better!” - said no healthy society in the history of man.

Greta doesnt want us to listen to her, she wants us to listen to climate scientists. She, her comrades in the school strike and the parkland survivors are all taking on hugely important issues that adults simply are not. So, they dont "know better" they act better based on what we all know to be true.

Even though Greta is only asking us to listen to science and not her, there are historical examples of child leaders. Joan of Arch seems like a perfect example.