What did Bob Dylan think of the version of Knocking on Heaven's Door?

Just now, Ratam said:

Someone listened Eric Clapton version of KOHD❓ IS a :sleeper: fest....

Eric Clapton doing covers is the definition of snoozefest, always sounds like he has too much respect for the originals, same with his I Shot The Sheriff cover, such a powerful and gritty song from Bob Marley and he turned it into a cocktail version. Come to think of it, GNR doing Marley would be fucking awesome.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Eric Clapton doing covers is the definition of snoozefest, always sounds like he has too much respect for the originals, same with his I Shot The Sheriff cover, such a powerful and gritty song from Bob Marley and he turned it into a cocktail version. Come to think of it, GNR doing Marley would be fucking awesome.

They could do No Woman No Cry as an intro to something.  I was thinking Don't Cry but maybe Estranged would make more sense.

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I adore it.  To the point that I even like Dylan-esque singers like Donovan.

His voice is so droney and boring and it makes me angry. 

Donovan's house in Hatfield is getting a blue plaque.

It'll get nicked cos it's in Hatfield.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I adore it.  To the point that I even like Dylan-esque singers like Donovan.

45 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I hate Dylan's singing. I much prefer anyone else's version of any Dylan song. 

Dylan's singing transitioned pretty dramatically from intelligible to garbled in a short period of time.  Kind of like Tom Waits sounding relatively normal then all of a sudden singing like a hoarse bear, which I like.

2 hours ago, adamsapple said:

GNR version was great until they bloated it up to a 20 minute wankfest and singalong.

I like how they did it at the Marquee in London in 1987, amazing live version, powerful and to the point.

Totally agree. I hate the long sing a long versions.  If they dropped it from the setlist I would never miss it. I know very casual fans want to hear it and sing along tho

Edited by Ericstacey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lame ass security said:

Dylan's singing transitioned pretty dramatically from intelligible to garbled in a short period of time.  Kind of like Tom Waits sounding relatively normal then all of a sudden singing like a hoarse bear, which I like.

Sounds to me like a Jewish kid from Minnesota trying to do Woody Guthrie.  Nashville Skyline was a pronounced departure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I would love for KOHD and RQ to get cut way back in length. 

RQ has no business being 11 minutes long. I can understand to a point why KOHD is extended but RQ just doesn't make any sense. 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I would love for KOHD and RQ to get cut way back in length. 

KOHD went from a song I liked to being a song that I never want to hear again in my entire life because of how long they stretch it out for. It's the only song I sat down for at the shows I've gone to.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

And those songs wouldn’t have been anything without Liam’s voice and attitude. 

I disagree. IMO the MTV Unplugged performance from 1996 where Noel sang lead on everything proves that all of those songs still sound great even without Liam.

GNR version of KOHD in the 80's was bad ass, better than the original.

even then uncle Ax wanted a bit of a sing along sometimes.

from the UYI tour to the present day KOHD has been nothing more than a half time interval for me, i take a piss and grab another pint during that long drawn out rubbish. 

54 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

RQ has no business being 11 minutes long. I can understand to a point why KOHD is extended but RQ just doesn't make any sense. 

Slash's 20 min version of RQ from 2012/13 was pure magic. Never liked the extended KOHD version. 

I love GNR's studio version but just until the second solo ends. From then on it just getting weird. It suffers from Axl's typical UYI-oveproduction. 

So there ain't no better version of that song than the Marquee version '87.

On 5/3/2019 at 3:50 PM, janrichmond said:

Josh is Richman not Richmond, I very much doubt that's Goldstein's account :)

I would be more suspicious if he claimed Dylan was the one that said he liked it, vs Dylan's wife.  Nobody can understand a fucking word Bob Dylan says, anyone claiming they did would have proven the story a fraud, right there.