Question about the Elton/Freddie influences

So I was talking with someone about the saga of Axl and OIAM the other day, and when I mentioned that he cited (openly gay) Elton John and Freddie Mercury as major influences, my friend speculated that Axl must have begun saying this to the press to offset the allegations of homophobia.

My first reaction was nah that's not true, but on reflection I guess it is possible. To be clear, I certainly believe that both singers were and are huge influences on Axl, so he was definitely telling the truth; but my question is, does anyone with a full knowledge of his interview history know if he cited Elton and Freddie/Queen as big influences •before• the release of OIAM and the subsequent press backlash?

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, he had cited them before:

My early influences? Uhm, how early? I grew up as a kid listening to Elvis Presley and gospel records, you know, and then when I got older I got into greatest hits in the 70s and all that stuff, and I played piano for years so I was really into anything to do with piano, Elton John and Billy Joel and stuff like that. But then when I started singing, you know, hardcore rock and roll I was really into Dan McCafferty of Nazareth. He's my favorite singer and, you know, maybe on the next record, possibly on the next record, I've talked to him about doing a song with him and he wants to do it, and we've got the song picked out, and if it works out we'll do it. [Audio interview with Axl and Slash, June 1987]

http://www.a-4-d.com/t2883-1987-06-dd-audio-interview-with-axl-and-slash-unknown-source-u-k

I believe in myself and I believe in my songs and everything. I think we will get there some day. It's like this, the album 'Queen II' wasn't a very successful album for Queen in the States, but I think it is the best recorded album in the history of rock and roll, I think it is up there with 'The Wall' and Physical Graffiti, and stuff like that. So it comes down to an art thing. I am just very, very serious about doing something I believe in, at least at the moment. If I change my opinion about something I said in a song, you know, as time goes by, that's okay because that song as a reflection of where I was then. [...] Yeah, when I first got the new Queen record, 'It's A Kind Of Magic', it was out like last year or so, I heard one of the songs off it and I thought, "Oh, they sold out," but I didn't listen to it closely, I just closed my mind because I was so used to their old material. Now it's one of my favorite records. I mean, the vocals that he does on this, I compare it to some of the old stuff, and, you know, the range is much higher and there is much harder technique [?]. It was amazing. I'm glad to see that [?]. You know, when I read about Live Aid some of the reviews, like in Kerrang!, where the Queen just, the Queen was it, the Queen was the whole show, no one was as good or as bad-ass as the Queen was. That's very good for me to see. [Audio interview with Steve Harris for unknown Japanese publication, December 1987]

http://www.a-4-d.com/t475-1987-12-26-telephone-interview-with-axl

When Axl Rose speaks about music, you can see how much respect he has for it. You can also tell from his songwriting that it's been given a lot of nurturing -- a lot of care and thought went into each individual line. For lyrical inspiration and influence he cites ex-Elton John cohort Bernie Taupin.
"I think Bernie Taupin is the best lyric writer that's ever lived on the face of the earth," he tells me. "Do you know how that guy writes? He writes off the top of his head. He said, 'I can write a double album that will ship platinum -- in two hours.' He would get a trip to the Bahamas put in his contract. He'd fly there, throw his bag on the bed, pull out his notepad, write the album, Federal Express it off, and have two weeks in the Bahamas, on the beach, with nothing to do. I like his style. I also like the actual style of the way he writes. Freddie Mercury, Brian May, and Dan McCafferty of Nazareth are some other lyrical influences. The list can go on and on, but those are my favorites."  [Rock Scene magazine, April 1988]

http://www.a-4-d.com/t2895-1988-04-dd-rock-scene-soft-as-a-petal-sharp-as-a-thorn-axl

Thinking about this, the second paragraph says a lot about Axl as well in terms of OIAM and CD.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, GNRfanx6 said:

I would say you're probably right.  Freddie would occasionally play some awesome air guitar with his half mic stand.😄

there are a lot of musical connections between Gn'R and Queen.

Axl obviously was and still influenced by them and also how Queen incorporated a bunch of styles into their music

but also Steven cited Roger Taylor as probably his biggest influence on the drums

and then there is Slash who kinda took what Brian May did with the way he plays his pull offs/hammer ons like the runs on his solo to Bohemian Rhapsody for example.

• Like 1

Slash has often cited Taylor's ''Fight from the Inside'' as being one of his favourite riffs. 

Queen were always mad geniuses. They wrote a lot of songs that didn’t necessarily appeal to me, because they were so orchestrated. But when they dug in to do something mean or hard, they could do it better than anybody.News Of The World has Fight From The Inside, one of my favourite Queen songs, and also the brilliant Get Down Make Love. This is just my favourite end-to-end Queen record.

- Slash

• Like 2

19 hours ago, lame ass security said:

It had to be really surreal for Axl singing with Elton John at the Freddie tribute.  He probably was thinking if I drop dead tomorrow I couldn't really complain, I've lived my dream.

For this reason, Axl with Elton singing Queens most iconic song will forever be my favorite Axl performance. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Slash has often cited Taylor's ''Fight from the Inside'' as being one of his favourite riffs. 

- Slash

I assume you meant May's riff.                                                                                        Edit:  I understand, Roger Taylor wrote the song. I was a bit confused.😊

Edited by lame ass security

21 hours ago, Draguns said:

Thinking about this, the second paragraph says a lot about Axl as well in terms of OIAM and CD.

Agreed. Especially this line: " If I change my opinion about something I said in a song, you know, as time goes by, that's okay because that song as a reflection of where I was then. [...]  "

It explains why the ALT lyrics for Don't Cry were born. Also explains why he's always fought with SLASH over musical direction. Whatever he's into at the time is the direction he wants to go.

AXL's honestly is one of the things I've always appreciated and admired most about him. He's unapologetically honest. And introspective.

Edited by thunderram

18 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Agreed. Especially this line: " If I change my opinion about something I said in a song, you know, as time goes by, that's okay because that song as a reflection of where I was then. [...]  "

IMO, AXL's honestly is one of the things I've always appreciated and admired most about him. He's unapologetically honest. And introspective.

I second that. Could never see why he got so much flak over that song, when he explained himself pretty clearly. The song is simply an insight into Axl's state of mind after being vexed with particular individuals at a particular time. That's all. 

• Like 2