Moby Talks GN'R Hiring Him to Produce 'Chinese Democracy'

According to most sources gnr didn't start studio sessions until 95/96. And I don't think work started in earnest until Slash and Duff  had quit, and Matt was fired. I'm sure things were thrown around though but as far as fully formed songs, they were years away! 

It would be interesting to hear the demos moby heard though! But his timeline in this interview is a bit off. 

Edited by Tom2112

10 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

According to most sources gnr didn't start studio sessions until 95/96. And I don't think work started in earnest until Slash and Duff  had quit, and Matt was fired. I'm sure things were thrown around though but as far as fully formed songs, they were years away! 

It would be interesting to hear the demos moby heard though! But his timeline in this interview is a bit off. 

yes, but understand that Moby had no idea how things were in he GNR camp, he just jumped in to help with the current state of things. so he probably assumed that they were working on stuff for some time already.

8 minutes ago, default_ said:

So, he was fired from expecting the singer to sing? :shrugs:

Think Axl had some serious writer’s block at the time. I remember a quote where he claimed all of his ideas were too depressing and focused with what was going around him personally. He wanted to free himself from that mindset. Going in a different direction musically perhaps could have jolted his creative spark. In the end, I’m not sure if we got anything different 

I think you will find a history of Axl laying down his vocals as the last piece of the recording process. He did it during the illusion process and he will do it again moving forward. In this case Moby would have gone into the situation with very little information and probably was unaware of Axl's vocal process.

At that time to Moby, it was a strange process. 

In today's world, it's not a strange process, it's common with the members of Tool and Maynard James Keenan able to manage doing things differently than others.

Edited by kiwiguns

He said Axl hates him and doesn't talk to him (another one in the list), and wonders why. 

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because he had talked to the press quite a bit and Axl doesn't like that. I don't think he had said anything bad really, but he had made some kind of personal comments.

• Like 1

Hadn’t ever truly focused on the fact that Moby was entering his Play-era when the Guns opportunity came along. Guy was on fire at the time. 18 and Hotel were great too. Would have been interesting as hell IMHO (and perhaps wildly successful) had he produced the ‘99 version of Chinese...

BTW- I love Axl, Moby, & Eminem!;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He said Axl hates him and doesn't talk to him (another one in the list), and wonders why. 

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because he had talked to the press quite a bit and Axl doesn't like that. I don't think he had said anything bad really, but he had made some kind of personal comments.

He said too that Axl look's like a beat dog, bit harsh says it. Maybe Axl annoy it too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

So he started the Chinese project back in 1991? Something doesn’t make sense here, or I’m reading it wrong 😑

This was 20+ years ago now.

Everybody's memory becomes a bit hazy when describing something that happened so long ago, you know?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, EvanG said:

Moby's a good egg, I don't get why people hate him. Just like when Eminem was hating on him back in the day... it's like all the schoolyard bullies picking on the nerdy kid.

Em' disliked him initially because he made some kind of comment about Em' being a homophobe or some such shit so Em' made a little reference to him in a song, it wasn't Em' that started that.  And he's was hardly a wilting wallflower in the situation, he made a point of standing up and booing Eminem when he was recieving some sort of award, dunno if it was a VMA or an EMA.