Question for the 87-93 purists... Would you consider a new album by the current lineup as a legitimate follow up to UYI?

10 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Haha, I know you're joking but many, many users have said the same thing and they were being serious. 

I can't imagine its beyond the realm of possibility, I mean for the money he's getting I'd say I liked Dark Side of the Moon...

Nah, fuck that, a mans gotta have standards :lol:

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, RussTCB said:

That's a time honored tradition around here. For whatever reason, people just can't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that Slash actually likes CD.

Ok, Slash likes CD. Axl likes Contraband. And we all live happily ever after.

It doesn't matter what they like or don't like. Is there a new album in the horizon?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Padme said:

Ok, Slash likes CD. Axl likes Contraband. And we all live happily ever after.

It doesn't matter what they like or don't like. Is there a new album in the horizon?

I think we're all hoping so. History has taught me not to believe it until I actually see it though lol

On 16/5/2019 at 2:30 PM, Len Cnut said:

Voice is in no way the key ingridient in music, its music, not poetry recitals, music is everything and the vocals are a part of that sure but when I first got into listening to GnR it was the guitar that did it, not the vocals and I wager thats the same for a great many, possibly even the majority of fans of rock music, its not coincidence that some of the greatest figures in rock n roll history had a guitar attached to em. 

It wasn't until this forum that it even occured to me that Axl had some sort of primary position in the band over and above any other member, just about everyone I ever knew pre-this forum made more of Slash than any other member.  People tend to gravitate more to guitars and guitar players cuz its something you can have a go at, where as a voice is like you either got one or you don't.

I agree with most of this and I agree that I gravitated towards gnr because of Slash and the guitar in general... But there's a reason I haven't had the same moment with Slash solo material or even Izzy's.

Each part of a band is important and vital to the overall chemistry, but I have been in enough bands, I have seen enough bands and I have heard enough people say "Great musicians but they need a good singer" and with that, that band is done with. I don't give a toss, how good the guitar, bass, drums, keys are if the singer doesn't do the business, the rest of the guys are wasting their time without a great voice. 

I'm not saying Axl is the greatest singer or anything mad like that, I just think in terms of carrying a band/brand the singer in general is the best bet... Obvious exceptions (VH, AC/DC) but those aren't the norm.

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

But there's a reason I haven't had the same moment with Slash solo material or even Izzy's.

Probably for much the same reason you ain't had the same from Axl.

I don't give a toss, how good the guitar, bass, drums, keys are if the singer doesn't do the business, the rest of the guys are wasting their time without a great voice. 

I can listen to jazz bands all day with no vocals.  Reminds me of a line I heard in a movie the other day 'nobody wants to listen to music anymore, you know who buys records these days?  Little girls, they take em home and memorize the words', mind you that film was made in 1951 :lol: 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Probably for much the same reason you ain't had the same from Axl.

I can listen to jazz bands all day with no vocals.  Reminds me of a line I heard in a movie the other day 'nobody wants to listen to music anymore, you know who buys records these days?  Little girls, they take em home and memorize the words', mind you that film was made in 1951 :lol: 

Hey I agree, with age and a lack of fire in his pronounced belly, he doesn't always put on a great vocal performance night after night.

I think there's still a lot of people listening, and I don't mean on a surface level. 

Yes, except it was 26 years ago when I was 26. The answer is yes, though, because we still have them here to do a new record! They say after June they're working on it again, yes? I hope they can agree on the vibe and direction, maybe pull out some "generally" amazing and undone tracks for Slash and Duff to buff up. I mean there must be a treasure trove of Axl ideas that are partial. Yes Slash was needed to do this, though I thought of CD as a real GnR record anyway, but it missed Slash not for the Slash sound but for the great things these 2 come up with together. VR missed this in a painful way as well, so did Snakepit, etc. It's these 2 guys, and Duff of course, This time I hope it's not all done by phone between them, like UYI sessions were done. Since every 26 years is a long ass time I hope they're cognizant that this might be the last record they ever make. That they enjoy that they are pals again, as it's great to get an old pal back if ya can, and make that last great record they both have in them.  This is my "GnR 2020 Vision", cheers that it happens. ( not a bad album name btw, Dex if ya use it throw me a bone man)