PC gaming chatter

So, after weeks or research, study, and YouTube videos I have decided to build my first PC. I never considered it in the past because the thought of building my own just seemed out of my capabilities. So I had always been a console gamer. Well, in this current generation I went with the Nintendo Switch (my first Nintendo console since the gamecube, but the OG Xbox was my main back then). 

While I am satisfied with my Nintendo Switch, let's be honest... It's not world beater. The portability is the big selling point. With new Playstation and Xbox consoles on the horizon, neither the PS4 or Xbone seemed like wise investments at this juncture (not to mention they don't really DO what I'm looking for). So that got me looking at a gaming PC. 

I spent a good week looking at some HP Pavilion gaming PC's, and they seemed pretty good to me. The problem was, they had limited upgradeablility, so in a couple years they would get left in the dust (which is essentially the same problem PS4 and XBONE have). So that led me to researching building your own. After watching MANY PC build tutorials, I decided "I think I can do this." 

I then went over to PC Part Picker and began my "build." While I haven't purchased anything yet, I WILL be asap (hopefully within a week or two). So here are the specs

Ryzen 5 1600 CPU

RX 580 GPU

16 GB RAM

MSI B450 Gaming pro MOBO

120 SSD 

1TB HDD 

EVGA 500w PS

I am new to all of this, as I said earlier, but I think these are pretty good specs for the price point. It's actually in the same ballpark (fincially) as the HP Pavilion I was looking at (minus windows 10, that's the only better part about the HP). 

Having said all of that, the MAIN purpose of this build is for RETRO gaming. Yes that's right, RETRO gaming, lol. But I want to have the option to play modern AAA games, if I so want to. I already have Friday the 13th, Dead by daylight, and Resident Evil 2 as day one buys (so I will be doing modern games as well), but retro games is the main purpose. Beyond gaming, I have a YouTube channel, so I do a lot of editing, and this PC will be great for that as well. 

This PC will cost me $609 to build, plus another $100 plus for windows and my editing software (Sony Vegas).

The HP Pavilion cost $699 (with windows installed). With similar specs, but only 8 GB of ram. Plus its NOT good for upgrading according to the reviews. 

So this is my story, what's yours? What do you think of my plan?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

If you don’t want to drop a fortune on Windows go to the Microsoft site and download a copy then go to Kinguin and buy an activation key for $30. That’s what I did for my build and it worked totally fine. 

https://www.kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key/

I've heard people doing this and can't get the key to work. 

4 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

@Iron MikeyJ a wise decision going with a custom build for sure, I'm glad I did the same. I think it will serve your purposes nicely.

I'm really looking forward to a few things like Halo MCC PC and Cyberpunk 2077. I'm normally a console guy too but we're in the PC master race now and it's pretty great. I do wince having to buy Windows though and am putting off buying Office since it's so expensive and really should be included with Windows. But I'll have to get it eventually it sucks not having Office lol.

When you compare how much consoles cost, plus the games cost more, with the fact they become obsolete within 5 years or so, plus you are limited to ONLY gaming essentially, it just doesn't seem like the smart buy anymore. 

I mean seriously, how much is an Xbox one X going for these days? $499? My PC will cost about 200 more, yes. But it can do SO MUCH MORE. Plus upgrade the CPU and GPU in a few years (if I feel its needed), and boom I'm beating the top consoles again. Which my current specs will be about the same as the Xbox one X. I looked them up, they will have the slightly better GPU, but my CPU is MUCH better. 

9 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

@Iron MikeyJ (and anyone else) get an Xbox controller and get 'Binary Domain', 'SpecOps The Line' and 'Enslaved Odyssey to the West'.

I may have recommended these before. I recommend them to everyone because they're criminally underrated. Each of them have a lot of heart and are now cheap. 

I'll have to check them out. 👍 BTW, I DO plan on playing with an xbox controller.

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

*backhands you* M&K is better for fun too! :lol:

I might buy an Xbox One Phantom White Controller(using a horrible old 360 controller rn). Then when the Next Xbox Super Elite Controller comes out the Phantom can be for player 2.

I've just never tried it really. Well except for when I FIRST started PC gaming with NBA Live 95 on my old Acer PC with Windows 95, lol.

I would recommend this build, u should be able to get this for less than 700 but it also counts a pc case which i think is missing from your specs. With this system, u can play all nu gen triple a games on full hd without problems.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Wraith Boxed

ASRock B450M Pro4

internG.Skill Aegis F4-3000C16D-16GISB

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6G

Fractal Design Focus G Mini€ 

be quiet! Pure Power 11 400W

Crucial MX500 2,5" 500GB

U can also use a nintendo switch pro controller with windows or playstation controllers, works like a charm. Check this freeware to setup ps4 controllers for pc
http://ds4windows.com/

Be sure to check out this game about building your own rig, its getting very nices scores on metacritic and is actually pretty good for pre build fun
https://store.steampowered.com/app/621060/PC_Building_Simulator/

Edited by FRANSAD

This is the case im looking at.

https://www.newegg.com/black-red-corsair-carbide-series-spec-04-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811139108?Item=N82E16811139108&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction--_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&cjevent=57a9936d81b511e983ef05750a240614

I'm also upgrading to the MSI B450 Tomahawk MOBO. For the extra $15, it gets GREAT reviews. 

As for the CPU, unless I'm misunderstanding things the Ryzen 5 1600 and Ryzen 5 2600 are essentially the same thing, except the 2600 has integrated graphics in it. Which if you are buying a video card, why do you need integrated graphics??? That's a serious question, I am a noob. 

As for the video card, the RX580 gets very good reviews (and is fairly inexpensive). But that is one thing (GPU) that will probably be upgraded when I think it needs to be. 

I'm still debating about getting the Ryzen 7 1700 CPU instead of the 5 1600. But again, the CPU and GPU are the two things I plan on upgrading when I think its needed. Based on everything I've seen/read though, it seems like the 5 1600 is MORE than enough for me. But I'd be lying if I didn't say I want the 7 1700. 

Again, I'm a noob at all of this, so if I'm making poor choices, please tell me.

Also, general question here. If the CPU comes with a fan, does the thermal paste come preinstalled? AMD specifically? Is there a way to tell? Can you see it on there without touching it?

Also I probably won't be overclocking. I don't know how to do it, and I don't want to mess anything up.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Integrated graphics in the CPU is not necessary, but it could be handy for troubleshooting because you can still access the pc and also still use it to browse etc if the gpu would die. 

- The Ryzen 5 2600 is currently the undisputed choice in bang for buck. For the price of less than 160 euros you get a hexacore processor with cores that clock on a turbocharger of 3.9 GHz.

With its six, the cores ensure that you can effortlessly get through the busy scenes of demanding games on full HD. In terms of value for money there is no better choice now.

- The Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6G is considerably more powerful, namely 25 percent faster than the RX 580 and it also uses 30 percent less energy. The dual Windforce fans of this video card

are a proven recipe and deliver solid cooling performance without too much noise. With a low load, they even stop completely.

Not sure about the paste,  if your gonna build it yourself i would always order cooling paste, and if it would come with the processor it wont be pre attached, normally it's only a few bucks, but if you will have it assembled at the shop

don't buy it because they will apply it in order to test run the system before they deliver so you dont need it.

Another thing it to remind that a GPU unit can be replaced in almost every MOBO but be aware that if you wanna replace the cpu, chances are the latest processors will need a new socket and thus motherboard, so

it would invest more in the cpu 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, FRANSAD said:

Integrated graphics in the CPU is not necessary, but it could be handy for troubleshooting because you can still access the pc and also still use it to browse etc if the gpu would die. 

- The Ryzen 5 2600 is currently the undisputed choice in bang for buck. For the price of less than 160 euros you get a hexacore processor with cores that clock on a turbocharger of 3.9 GHz.

With its six, the cores ensure that you can effortlessly get through the busy scenes of demanding games on full HD. In terms of value for money there is no better choice now.

- The Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6G is considerably more powerful, namely 25 percent faster than the RX 580 and it also uses 30 percent less energy. The dual Windforce fans of this video card

are a proven recipe and deliver solid cooling performance without too much noise. With a low load, they even stop completely.

Not sure about the paste,  if your gonna build it yourself i would always order cooling paste, and if it would come with the processor it wont be pre attached, normally it's only a few bucks, but if you will have it assembled at the shop

don't buy it because they will apply it in order to test run the system before they deliver so you dont need it.

Another thing it to remind that a GPU unit can be replaced in almost every MOBO but be aware that if you wanna replace the cpu, chances are the latest processors will need a new socket and thus motherboard, so

it would invest more in the cpu 

So WITHOUT integrated graphics, if the GPU died, the PC would be "dead" essentially until I get a new card?

I've been crunching the numbers (the money I'm going to have available to spend), and I'm REALLY considering going with the Ryzen 7 1700 now. But it doesn't have integrated graphics either. So do you think I'm better off going with one that has integrated graphics then? 

As for the GPU, tbh I kinda wanna stick with a "red" machine. So I'm not really considering Navidia. I have been looking at the RX590 (but the benchmarks I watched) it only was 2 degrees or so cooler and 5 FPS or so more. So it didn't seem like THAT much of a better option. But when I watched videos comparing a Ryzen 5 with a Ryzen 7 (both using the RX580), I noticed quite a bit of graphics jump. At least to my eyes anyways.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Yeah basically without integrated graphics u cant do stuff with it until you have a new card. If you are limited by budget i would maybe consider buying a 2nd hand gpu,

people upgrade that a lot so sometimes you can find some very cheap 2nfd hand gpu's for a very low price

3 hours ago, FRANSAD said:

Yeah basically without integrated graphics u cant do stuff with it until you have a new card. If you are limited by budget i would maybe consider buying a 2nd hand gpu,

people upgrade that a lot so sometimes you can find some very cheap 2nfd hand gpu's for a very low price

Well that's good to know. Price isn't a HUGE factor, I just want to keep it somewhat reasonable. I'll look at CPU prices again.

• 5 weeks later...

So this is my current set-up.

Intel i7-6700 3.4GHz

NVidia Geforce GTX1080 8GB GPU

16GB RAM

Corsair RM1000i power supply (1000W)

ASUS Strix ROG Z270 motherboard

Corsair Carbide 400C case 

1TB HDD

I'm planning to add liquid cooling, increase to 32GB RAM and most importantly I really need to get an SSD.

I’m considering a 2080Ti but I’m not sure if it’s enough of an upgrade for the cost. 

Edited by Dazey
  • GNFNR 1

9 hours ago, Dazey said:

So this is my current set-up.

Intel i7-6700 3.4GHz

NVidia Geforce GTX1080 8GB GPU

16GB RAM

Corsair RM1000i power supply (1000W)

ASUS Strix ROG Z270 motherboard

Corsair Carbide 400C case 

1TB HDD

I'm planning to add liquid cooling, increase to 32GB RAM and most importantly I really need to get an SSD.

I’m considering a 2080Ti but I’m not sure if it’s enough of an upgrade for the cost. 

Awesome rig

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Do NOT get a 2080Ti get a 1080Ti(I recommend my model) or wait for 3080Ti. And don't get liquid cooling either imo just have wicked good air cooling instead.

My current rig:

Ryzen 2700X

MSI GTX1080Ti GAMING X 11GB

32GB(4x8GB) 3200Mhz FlareX RAM

Corsair 750W Platinum PSU

ASUS PRIME X470-Pro motherboard

NZXT S340 Elite(matte white) case with two 140mm industrial Noctua fans for intake and two 120mm Corsair fans for the top and rear exhaust.

240GB SSD

500GB SSD

2x2TB HDD

Planning to add a 1TB SSD. Was planning to upgrade my CPU to 3900X and GPU to 3080Ti and probably still will but not going to rush ahead. Next upgrades I get will be a Razer Huntsman Keyboard and Razer DeathAdder Elite Mouse and a series 2 Xbox Elite controller.

P.S. what was your FOV in DOOM?

Awesome rig!!!

9 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Do NOT get a 2080Ti get a 1080Ti(I recommend my model) or wait for 3080Ti. And don't get liquid cooling either imo just have wicked good air cooling instead.

My current rig:

Ryzen 2700X

MSI GTX1080Ti GAMING X 11GB

32GB(4x8GB) 3200Mhz FlareX RAM

Corsair 750W Platinum PSU

ASUS PRIME X470-Pro motherboard

NZXT S340 Elite(matte white) case with two 140mm industrial Noctua fans for intake and two 120mm Corsair fans for the top and rear exhaust.

240GB SSD

500GB SSD

2x2TB HDD

Planning to add a 1TB SSD. Was planning to upgrade my CPU to 3900X and GPU to 3080Ti and probably still will but not going to rush ahead. Next upgrades I get will be a Razer Huntsman Keyboard and Razer DeathAdder Elite Mouse and a series 2 Xbox Elite controller.

P.S. what was your FOV in DOOM?

Cheers for the tip. I might go for a 1080Ti in that case. As for the cooling I just really want to get liquid cooling cuz it looks awesome rather than any sensible reason. :lol: 

I was playing on max FOV setting. Think that's 130.

Edited by Dazey

18 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Yeah I do have it but never played online. You want to sometime?

Yeah man, that would be cool. We could kill demons and rant about Catholicism at the same time. :lol: 

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

Noice. Specs?

P.S. I'll probably get a 3090, so, fuck you. :lol:

It’s actually not earth shattering. It’s my old case, MB and CPU with new RGB fans and an RTX 2070 Super. Basically the upgraded 2070 with GDDR6 RAM. It benchmarks in the same ballpark as a 1080Ti with the additional ray tracing cores added to the mix. Picked it up for £500 which is about as much as I could justify for an impulse purchase.  No way I’m paying over £1,300 for the 2080Ti and keeping my bollocks if the missus finds out. :lol: 

12 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

A wise choice and yeah it's more up to date than my 1080ti I just hope we can play Halo Infinite and Cyberpunk 2077 without issue. Did you see the recent footage of that btw? It looks fucking amazing. Also you can pet the stray cats in Night City which is adorable lol.

I don't have a 4K display either which is another reason I didn't think it was worth it to go for the top of the line GPU. Pretty sure it will be more than enough for CP 2077 and Halo at 1080P on max settings. I've got Shadow of the Tomb Raider running at a rock solid 60fps at Ultra with full ray traced shadows and reflections and it looks pretty fuckin' sweet.