Star Trek: Picard

So I've seen episode 3.

It was true, 1-3 are basically the pilot. I'm still loving it, because it's a 24th century star trek sequel.

However the music in every scene in episode 3 was a mistake. It's a little too much Rise of Skywalker imo. TNG era treks had music, but not during every dialogue scene. I'll over look it for now.

I'm looking forward to seeing Seven at some point in the coming episodes, as long as we can hear her over the ost.

Edited by AtariLegend

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It wasn't a great episode, but it was cool that they brought back Icheb randomly (even if it was a different actor). If you had to name 50 characters you'd expect to re-appear, that one would struggle to make it.

Jeri Ryan is supposed to be a reoccurring character, I hope she ends up more as a regular. One other random thing, apparently one of the bars on that planet was called "Quark's Bar". That would have been a fun cameo.

I like this show as a Trek fan, but the 45 minute format just doesn't work. They can't get the balance between character development, exposition and plot right currently. Then there's the fact that it's only 10 episodes. 1/2 way done already.

I am really fed up with this show, and modern Trek in toto.

It just seems that Star Trek these days (Discovery, Kelvin timeline films, Picard) is adverse to being Star Trek, to having those slow-paced character building  episodes which usually also operate as lessons in morality and humanity. During a ''standard'' (not a specially great or bad) episode, TNG-VOY say but to a lesser extent Enterprise, you could plonk two characters in a shuttlecraft - one location - come up with some space babble to create a ''problem'', a space distortion anomaly or something or other, and use it basically as a vehicle to character build. This is the bread and butter of Trek really, not big Borg and Klingon episodes. Take ''The Inner Light''. It is just a poignant character development piece set on a class m planet. ''Measure of a Man'' is a legal drama on AI, the nature of sentient life. 

Now the action set pieces all have to be Star Wars. The quipping has to be continuous and post-ironic. The editing has to be fast paced and unrelenting. The locations have to change all the time. The episodes have to be stuffed with fan service, Easter eggs, cameos and in-jokes.

Post-irony and cynicism have prevailed over Roddenberry's utopianism. 

It is over. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So it's over now.

Season really was a mixed bag with alot little issues that could easily be corrected.

However, it's Jean-Luc Picard and Seven of Nine... I just want to see these characters forever on tv as a fan.

Jeri Ryan actually seemed the most comfortable in her role throughout. Just a shame she didn't get much to do over the season. I assume she'll be a regular in season 2 though.

I wonder however if there was a rights issue with this show. They really shyed away from showing the different Starfleet ships and the klingons were absent. Hopefully though if we do see Worf for example in season 2... it isn't with that new design for klingons in Discovery or the jj films. Also less music and lense flares please.

Edited by AtariLegend

• 2 weeks later...

I finally saw the double-parter finale. So, (spolier),

Spoiler

Picard is now a robot, and (more importantly) Seven of Nine is a lesbian? I think I need a drink!!

Some poignant TNG style moments ultimately, pertaining to Picard, free will and Soji, and then Picard and Data - Blade-Runner/AI philosophy. I feel that most of the series was actually padding for this two-part finale, although the Riker-Troi episode was also nice. Episodes 1-6 were rather aimless, the show only really finding its path around episode seven. The whole thing might have made a better film in fact.

Best Trek in a long time - although that is not saying much! - but still widely inconsistent. 

• 8 months later...

Could not find a thread for star trek discovery so i figured i'd bump this one. Anyone watching S3 of discovery? S1 and S2 were utter shit in my opinion however S3 has been awesome so far, feels like it's been really getting back to the 90's or even the 60's star trek most people have come to love.

2 hours ago, grouse said:

Could not find a thread for star trek discovery so i figured i'd bump this one. Anyone watching S3 of discovery? S1 and S2 were utter shit in my opinion however S3 has been awesome so far, feels like it's been really getting back to the 90's or even the 60's star trek most people have come to love.

Saru is a great character, but most of them are crap and completely forgettable. Michael Burnham whispers and emotes her way through every single conversation - it drives me crazy. And don't get me started on Spock - just dreadful. Tilly is a bit of a laugh but sometimes too post-ironic, I can't see people in the 24th century talking that way (I hope people stop talking that way early kn the 21st century!).

Too much lens flare also, and the story jumps around so fast it is almost impossible to keep up.

Don't get me wrong, season 3 is better than 1 and 2, but barely.

The best characters in it were Pike (now gone), Lorca (now gone - to be honest they shouldn't have made him a baddie and should have kept Jason Isaac's as a captain, he was fantastic), and Rebecca Romjins one (also gone).

22 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Saru is a great character, but most of them are crap and completely forgettable. Michael Burnham whispers and emotes her way through every single conversation - it drives me crazy. And don't get me started on Spock - just dreadful. Tilly is a bit of a laugh but sometimes too post-ironic, I can't see people in the 24th century talking that way (I hope people stop talking that way early kn the 21st century!).

Too much lens flare also, and the story jumps around so fast it is almost impossible to keep up.

Don't get me wrong, season 3 is better than 1 and 2, but barely.

The best characters in it were Pike (now gone), Lorca (now gone - to be honest they shouldn't have made him a baddie and should have kept Jason Isaac's as a captain, he was fantastic), and Rebecca Romjins one (also gone).

I totally agree, saru is a great character and i wish burnham would just die already the only thing she does is cry all the time and the whole connection with spock thing that just makes me want to puke.

I have high hopes for the new show with pike and ofcourse number one that should be proper trek. It took the producers a while but it looks like we're finally getting back to proper star trek 

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I just gave up on the show towards the end of season one. Unwatchable in my opinion.

They pretty much are haha, if you want to watch some excellent scifi i can recommend the expanse it's one of the best if not the best scifi show ever made in my opinion.

To be honest, I'm only watching Discovery now as a Star Trek completist.

However... Star Trek Shorts season 2 isn't available in the UK, and I think I'll draw the line at "Lower Decks".

On the subject of Star Trek Shorts - that was actually very good. Much better than Discovery proper.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 9/9/2021 at 8:26 PM, AtariLegend said:

Picard, Seven of Nine, Q, Guinan and the Borg Queen back.

Season 1 had a few issues, but it's still Star Trek. 

Agreed season 1 was a mixed bag, just watched the first episode of season 2 and I enjoyed it. I'm feeling causally optimistic.

• 1 month later...

no offense for those who enjoyed this season of Picard, but it's been a long time since I've watched such a cinematic trainwreck. Truly awful script with good actors. There's a cool video review on youtube that I've found on Reddit that explains the flaws very well imo.

almost comical how bad it was and when it comes to live action, it's been a long time since Star Trek was actually good imo. Script writers should be heavily fined.

here's the review, long but they know their shit. I still think there is hope for this old franchise, cause the rich universe can still work but this wasn't it.

I haven't seen the finale yet, will probably do that tomorrow but my expectations are really low. Picard has turned out to be just another nu-trek show. However I just watched the pilot for strange new worlds....I loved it, could this finally be a return to classic trek? I feel like I actually know more about the crew in just one episode than in all of the seasons of the other new trek shows.

Edited by grouse