NEW Slash Interview 05/28, Confirms Work On New GNR Album!

2 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

I'm honestly more worried about what vocal takes Axl will use. There were several late 90's/early 2000's vocal takes on CD that he really should have re-recorded with his improved mid 2000's vocals. Hell I thought he sounded better on Rock the Rock than a lot of CD. If he has older vocal takes that he wants to use I hope they are from 2004 or later.

I'm sure whatever vocal takes he used were exactly what he wanted to have on CD.

38 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Hell I thought he sounded better on Rock the Rock than a lot of CD. 

The only reason Rock the Rock sounded ok  was because he layered all those different registered vocal tracks together.. Might as well use auto tune. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

The only reason Rock the Rock sounded ok  was because he layered all those different registered vocal tracks together.. Might as well use auto tune. 

Wouldn't you say that Axl sounds good when he sings AC/DC songs? He's singing Rock the Rock with the exact same voice that he uses for AC/DC, so why is it so hard to admit that he sounds just as good when he sings like that in the studio as he does when he uses that voice live.

Sure there's layers of vocals and sure, he has the echo effect when he sings live, but those are not the only reasons why he sounds good when he sings with that AC/DC voice. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sanomatovic said:

"I'm selling the new guns album because it sucks at face value"

Although I don't agree with him, he has a valid point, no need to attack him.

Edited by Gibson_Guy87
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

He’s been doing that crap since UYI though, to be fair.

Not to this extent. And to be honest that ruined songs like the studio version of KOHD.  He didn't need to do it back then and it sounded dumb. That has been one of the gripes about the Illusions over the years. Don't get me wrong, I know it is a common practice in the studio for many musicians but Axl takes it to another level.  

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Wouldn't you say that Axl sounds good when he sings AC/DC songs? He's singing Rock the Rock with the exact same voice that he uses for AC/DC, so why is it so hard to admit that he sounds just as good when he sings like that in the studio as he does when he uses that voice live.

Sure there's layers of vocals and sure, he has the echo effect when he sings live, but those are not the only reasons why he sounds good when he sings with that AC/DC voice. 

No doubt Axl sounded great on most of the AC/DC tunes. It has been a few years since then and he hasn't been that good since. Those AC/DC performances were straight up balls and emotion with maybe some reverb.. Why not just do that in the studio instead of some un-natural layering that he would never be able to re-produce live?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

So, just like Locomotive then?

Not during the verses.  I always thought the "sweetness is virtue" piece suffered from that crap... 

23 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Although I don't agree with him, he has a valid point, no need to attack him.

It is ok.. People get their panties all up in a bunch when others don't agree with them. People might not agree with me but I will never attack anyone for their opinions. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Not to this extent. And to be honest that ruined songs like the studio version of KOHD.  He didn't need to do it back then and it sounded dumb. That has been one of the gripes about the Illusions over the years. Don't get me wrong, I know it is a common practice in the studio for many musicians but Axl takes it to another level.  

Yeah the live versions of Locomotive and Pretty Tied Up always sounded great during the UYI tour but the studio versions were crap cause of that stupid “triple octave” thing he did.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

No doubt Axl sounded great on most of the AC/DC tunes. It has been a few years since then and he hasn't been that good since. Those AC/DC performances were straight up balls and emotion with maybe some reverb.. Why not just do that in the studio instead of some un-natural layering that he would never be able to re-produce live?

He was good even in 2018 when he sang with the screaming AC/DC voice. I'm talking mainly about SOYL. I do agree that he should sing with that voice in the studio too, cause then he would sound good on those songs live as well. My point is that he didn't sound good on Rock the Rock because of the layers. If anything the layers were unnecessary. He would have sounded great even without them. Probably even better, at least to people like you, who prefer the natural and gritty approach.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

He was good even in 2018 when he sang with the screaming AC/DC voice. I'm talking mainly about SOYL. I do agree that he should sing with that voice in the studio too, cause then he would sound good on those songs live as well. My point is that he didn't sound good on Rock the Rock because of the layers. If anything the layers were unnecessary. He would have sounded great even without them. Probably even better, at least to people like you, who prefer the natural and gritty approach.

He can do the layers in the studio and still sound good live cause Mellisa is in the band. He seems to prefer the approach of more is more. Kinda like Queen. Grand and with all the bells and whistles. In the end it's an artistic choice, I believe he can easily sound great without layers and all rasp but I don't think he's interested in taking that approach and personally I think the layers work more often than not and I wouldn't want him to use his raspy voice all the time after hearing the scope of what he can do vocally in Chinese.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I don’t care when the material was written. VH and Aerosmith both made outstanding records from old material. If I get new music from Axl, Slash, and Duff together, I will be happy. Bonus points for Iz and Steven. But anything new is more than I ever expected. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

One third reworked Chinese takeout, one third reworked 1996 material, and one third all new material all rerecorded by this lineup would be my ideal non AfD5 GNR album at this point

And that’d make for 3 new albums of new material. Give us a triple album to outdo the UYI 1&2 double set.